• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shed Hunting

DeanoB

So yesterday I post that I have had a long drought, today I find a 10" spike in the first 15 minutres of walking! Finally the drought is over, now hopefully I can wander my way onto something a bit bigger!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love shed hunting but unless you have exclusive areas i think alot of the bucks get chased off by guys going to early before even 50% of the bucks have shed.If they get driven out sometimes it's tuff to find them. My buddy whos a shed huntin freak would like to wait but he knows other people are out there pickin sheds so he goes in hopes he will get em before the next guy.

I wish i could show you this guy's sheds there huge and some are matching sets. Ive found dandy's but nothing like my buddy has found. He has more bone in his house then any one else i know. It's an antler museum. His biggest set so far is a non typ, it scored 198" it was massive.

Ive asked my buddy to bring them to the deer classic but he wont do it. He doesn't want nosey people asking questions. He's really protective of his spots. But i assure you they are for real i wish he would show them off. In fact he's so protective of the spots he wont tell me where. And ive known the guy for twentyfive years.

Maybe were talking about the same guy? Is the shed freak you know from st.paul?

I doubt it's the same guy he's never mentioned any forum and ive hunted and fished with this guy for 25 yrs he's like a brother.

The Shedfreak posting on this forum is from Duluth area.

I picked up my 6th shed yesterday! :reporter; 19 in MB and 8 3/4 G2.

CedarRapidsshedhunt3-12-08009.jpg

I also found a dead 8 pointer and took his head off for a lawn ornament.

CedarRapidsshedhunt3-12-08013.jpg

hey hey hey... Shedfreak is back.. I was going crazy not checking up on all these sheds, looks like you guys have been picking up a few... I have had nothing to post for what seems like forever. I finally got the monkey off my back yesterday. I picked up # 7 for the year. A nice 2.5 year old , 4 point side. real potential on this one. The thaw is upon us, should be able to start seeing the ones that have been buried. I believe the one I picked up was previously buried. Right on the side of a trail that I know I have walked before.. No way to tell though I guess. i didnt pick my first one up until 3-13 last year. Got # 7 on 3-13 of this year. So although I felt like I was in a slump, Im still ahead of last year. There was less snow last year at this time too, and it was 50 degrees. I was picking some up EVERY time out for awhile!! I hopin for those days ahead!!! COngrats to all the guys who have picked one or two up since my last visit, always nice to get on the board! Ill put some pics up when I take them. I didnt get an ATL pic cuz i didnt have my camera with when I found it.

ih trust me brass man, i didnt miss that one. Thats a pretty nice find. Congrats on a nice match, and finding em that far apart timewise is something that doesnt happen often, ESPECIALLY in this neck of the woods. Nice job man.

I've tried some shed hunting last year and this year and have never found one. Covered lots of ground in some real good areas with heavy deer traffic and countless deer beds. It did not appear that there had been anyone else in those areas either. But who knows, if it's as competitive as you say it is shedfreak, there probably have been people.

I'd be interested to know your not-so-secret spots that you look in so I can avoid those areas - knowing that you obviously have them raked clean grin.gif and that way I won't be wasting hours of my time looking in areas where I don't have a chance at finding a thing. ha

I dont really have any secret spots, or spots that are better than the others. I have some FAVORITE places to walk, I dont know where in MN your from shogun, but if its by me... its pretty competitive. I started in early december this year, trying to beat ppl to the early drops... I was definitely not the only one walking early. I try to steer clear of areas that have been "picked clean" as you described, but unless I am the one that picked them clean...i usually do a walk through to make sure. There has been many sheds that I have walked by in my day, and many more by others, so you just gotta stick with it. Ya cant get dicouraged by getting skunked. Its gonna happen more often that not, but let me tell ya, the instant you lay your eyes on a shed, how ever many miles and hours you put on to get it, is all worth it, be in a 70 inch 5 point or a 3 inch spike, theyre all cool.. Congrats on finding what sounds like a good area. Sounds like theyre wintered up there, and so far youre the only one thats been in there! I would pound that woods so hard...I gurantee you there is an antler in there. Gurantee it, let me know what ya find

I'm in Duluth too, so I doubt I'm the only one in that area. I think I'll wait until more of this snow melts. I thought not having any snow all winter long would leave them laying right on top in plain sight, but I guess not? I suppose when they drop they must sink in a bit - therefore won't be seen until most of the snow melts. Unless they drop now when there is a hard crust on top of the snow.

I live in Dull youth too, I try to walk every week and somehow someone beats me to a spot by a couple of days to a couple hours. if you know theres bucks in an area, go walk it until your sure theres no antlers then walk it again in a different way, I usually walk the trails and look on both sides for a ways, unless you see them still packing. Then you can wait a wee bit but usually thats when someone comes in and picks em up so just be vigilant.

ive only found one campflauge shed in my time walking. All I did was use soap and warm water. Youll never get it all off but it does clean it off a bit. And yeah the rule on this thread is if you find a shed, you have to post a picture. Not really a rule, but i like to see em.

You should be able to see the green i'm talking about. I did use soap and water, and it did work pretty well. I can just get my thumb and forefinger around the base. To bad it was broken off/chewed. Anyways, always a treat finding one.

shed.jpg

wow, what a find, i was thinking it was a complete shed, not a broken one! HOwd you manage to find that in the snow, if it was that old? NIce eyes. I can see the green, im guessing thats about as clean as your going to get it. Mine cleaned off about the same. It definitely got rid of the stink though. Whats up with the snow today?? Just when ya think its gonna melt we get a few more inches. NOt good for this sport.

Yeah it did get rid of the stink! The main beam was buried in the ground with the base sticking out, i got lucky. The day before my buddy found a 3 point in the same area. First time he ever went shed hunting, i took him along. As we walking along, he was behind me and asked me isn't this what we're looking for?? Beginners luck I guess. I've walked this area about 10 times this season, and found nothing . Then we got the 3-4 inches of snow and another 2 inches the last couple days. Should be gone by Tues/Wed. Good Luck guys.

shed1.jpg