• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shed Hunting

DeanoB

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cudos to you man, that is alot of walking. I am so jealous of your collection I am gonna try to put more time in this year, do u find many sheds laying by beds, food sources or on trails. how many times do you cover the same area?

excellent finds "bowhunter"

well we went back up to carlton this wkd to do some looking. 3 of us looked for parts of three days. i personally didn't find any antlers, but my buddy found 3. including a really nice matching set. the antlers layed only one foot from each other. this is only the second time we've found antlers laying right next to each other. i have a really cool trail cam pic of the matching set buck. the pic is from the dec. storm where we got about 12" of snow. there is snow on the antlers, its pretty cool.

conditions were not very favorable to looking for antlers. they just had recieved about 3" of snow and then another 2" while we were up their with some heavy winds as well causing drifting. i think a lot of antlers are now burried in the snow. i think i'm done looking until the snow settles some. here are the pics from last wkd. enjoy.

cj.

>

>

>

>

I found 2 more last weekend, a small 6 point set, thats 6 for the year. As far as asking whether or not its the right time to go out.... Personally i say,,, why wait? Bucks drop from november sometimes into may... Unless you walk private land and have it all to yourself, i say might as well start In December, if anything, you atleast see whats out there and where they are traveling. In the past I usually waited until the end of february, or beginning of March.. This year I started in December. So my way of thinking is I have 6 sheds I honestly believe I wouldnt have right now had I decided to wait.

i would agree the earlier the better. i walk all private land so i dont got any competion, but i think it is easier to see them sitting on top of the snow my self. once they get barried it get tough to find but i just like walkin through the woods and seeing were the deer are hanging out

Eatsleepfish,

We have a cabin and about 300 acres of land about 5 miles south of carlton. We spend almost all our time looking for antlers on our property. We generally have a good herd a deer that winter in our area.

I would also agree that the earlier you look the better, plus the antlers are clean and have good color. The neighbors are feeding the deer near our cabin and they said all the bucks that were coming in have lost there antlers as of about a week ago. But it differs in all area's.

I'm still waiting for the snow to settle a bit. I believe many of the antlers in my area are covered by snow.

Good luck to all, keep us posted.

cj

Ok heres some pics like you asked for. Except for about a handful of these, all were in the last couple years. There are a few i have now that arent on the picture, but you can get an idea. No i didnt find the elk shed, that one was actually purchased at an antique shop. Scores 153"

003-8.jpg

004-7.jpg

Here are some pics from last year. I may have put some of these pics up last year, not sure though. The pics are of 7 antlers we found in two days of looking in the middle of May. The woods were getting green, but we still found them. Two are matching sets, and 3 are solo finds. The other picture is a display of solo antlers at our cabin going from smallest to biggest, our matching set finds are on the other wall, sorry I don't have a pic of those.

Hope you enjoy.

CJ

>

>

>

>