• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shed Hunting

DeanoB

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out today brought a friend to one of my favorite areas and he found a small six pt set. Thats it so far I'll be out again tomorrow if we find anything bigger then I'll post pics.

well here are the weekend pictures as promised. We came out with 25 whitetail sheds and 3 bull elk sheds. I found a decent skull as well... I needed a weekend getaway like this . My season had been pretty frustrating up to this point.

009-5.jpg

011-4.jpg

012-3.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

019-1.jpg

021.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

Wishedtrip047.jpg

Wishedtrip048.jpg

Wishedtrip054.jpg

Shedfreak, nice pics !! where about did you go, out west or canada or Gyrla, MN. \:\) Them western states are nice for finding sheds. When we go on our SD. archery hunt I usually come home with about 5 sheds and a couple of skulls. They are sun bleached white and stickout like a sore thumb in the dead grass. I would like to go out there in the spring and do a shed / coyote hunting trip.

WOW!!!! Tough to follow up Shed Freak after the weekend he had!! Good job though, I'm jealous.

I did get out for my first time in about 5 weeks. My buddy and I looked for about a total 3 hours each. Not much to show, but I did manage to a find a small 4 point side. I hope to get back this wkd and look some more. I know have 4 sides of 2.5 year olds that I'd like to find the other halfs to. Maybe I'll get lucky and find them. We are up to 9 antlers now on the season, this was the first one in 5 weeks though, as the snow covered them in recent time. The first two pics are the antler as it layed this wkd, the last pic is the 9 we have for the year so far.

Keep looking and keep posting!!

Good luck, CJ

>

>

>

Well I put in about 5 more hours today. Saw deer, turkeys, a grouse, pheasants, ducks, snow geese, swans, woodcock, a red fox, many bones, and a skull but not one dang shed! Also pulled a couple woodticks off when I got home.

200 sheds a year is alot. im happy to find 5. o ya by the way i found an 8 point pair today, its starting to look up. im goin to try and post some pics of the 12 point i found. we roughly scored it and it was in the 170s.

and your off on all of your guesses of where my shedding trip took place. Its kind of a secret spot. Lets just say it was in the states, and just a partial days drive away. And one state border.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I only walk public-land, and even though I think it would be interesting to find 25-50 sheds a day walking a 200 acre deer farm, it still wouldn't be as rewarding as walking up to a patch of public land you've never walked before and pick up a shed or two. But that's just me, what's everyone elses take? Oh yeah found a small spike shed the other day which puts me at 8 for the year!

Found my first ever shed today while working. Nice half of an 8 pointer. Nothing huge but I sure was pumped for finding it. I can see where this would be addicting.

I find the few I get on a mix of private and public land. I have been hunting them for 4 years now. I found 12 my first year, 9 my second year, 21 last year, and 6 so far this year. This year I have walked a lot of new area and have only found 1 antler outside my normal areas of finding them. Very frustrating, but I imagine other folks beet me to them in most cases. I saw a lot of boot tracks, even in the spots I found antlers. Past years I had some of the areas all to myself and ended up with 5 complete sets. None of that this season.

My friend in Iowa has a few thousand private acres to hunt, where they found the 200+. Improves the odds for them somewhat! I doubt they get half of it covered.

I find all of mine, which usually isn't a ton of antlers all on the land that we own (private). I also find a couple on our potlatch lease as well. I personally find 5-8 antlers a year, and our hunting party finds a total around 15 antlers. I don't suspect we will ever find much more than that unless we look in other area's. Luckily for us the deer tend to herd during the winter on our land, thus making for some alright antler looking.

I don't think i'm going to find any this weekend. Carlton is supposed to get a foot of snow. Looks like i'll have to wait till the following weekend.

Good luck!!

I do my walking on public land with ALOT of competition!! 20 thousand acres of public woods in the city of duluth. I know lots of people that see 40 plus bucks a year. I would bet per square mile Duluth, MN is close to tops in the country for pope and young bucks. They are everywhere!