• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shed Hunting

DeanoB

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i was out walking this afternoon in one of my favorite spots. I decided to park on the opposite ends of the woods this time on a hunch. I did it once last year and I found an 8 point set right on top of one another. So after walking about 20 minutes, i noticed an antler right against a down tree. I took out the camera and snapped the ATL. I then walked up to about 5 yards and snapped another one at ground level. Still focusing on the 5 point side I just found, I didnt even notice the other tine sticking out of the leaves!!! So as I pulled the other side out, my mind just went like, what the heck is that?! I started putting them together on how they would look on the deer reevaluating on wether or not this was a set or sides from seperate bucks. Its highly unlikely. I can see that the bases are similar and that one is a left side and one is a right side. What I came up with is this... The deer injured his right antler in mid velvet, and instead of curving in on the main beam, it was pushed so that it grew opposite, so backwards. You cant tell too well from the pictures, but the beam actually curls back towards the deers hind quarters. Thank god they were right on top of one another or there is no way in heck I would bet that these were from the same deer. Its almost shaped like a double helix. Definitely the oddest side I have EVER found. oh I also found a dead buck that I believe was roadkill, reson being is one antler was busted off, and the other one was sawed off. Had pretty good bases on him, wonder which buck it was cry.gif

freakyset001.jpg

freakyset002.jpg

freakyset004.jpg

freakyset005.jpg

freakyset003.jpg

Shedfreek, about 8 yrs ago I shot a buck that looks very simular to this one. It has 5 on the rt. and on the left it bends back right after the eye guard and then has a split on the end just like your shed. I need to sit down and figure out on how to post some pics. Nice find !!

weird, i hope u figue that out, id love to see the pictures... I went out on saturday, the day after I found that set and picked up 3 more, 2 old 4 points, and a fork. I had 2 buddies tag along with me, and they each picked one up too. Im up to 19 for the year so far. 2nd best total ever, to last years 29, ill me ecstatic to hit 20! Especially when a month ago I was stuck at 7!

002-7.jpg

003-9.jpg

005-6.jpg

006-7.jpg

007-6.jpg

haha im gettin back into the swing of things finally. To be at 19 is just amazing to me right now. I was at 7 less than a month ago. Ive had a very productive last few weeks...actually in 4 days out, i picked up 12.... sweet! I was hoping for double digits coming into the season. I figured last year might have been a fluke year with 29... but with the prime time being the next few weeks, its close to within reach. Im definitely content where im at, but u can bet ill be out every chance that I get!!

Up to 8 for the year, and I'll tell you it's been a long time (Mid Feb.) since I found my 7th. I've put on my fair share of miles through some spectacular deer country before I scored another. This one was a heavy left side of a fresh 8 but unfortunately the rodents had gotten to it before I. The chewings aren't too bad though and I'll be sure to post a few when I get the chance. Hopefully I can get out to a few more spots before she starts greening up, but with the fishing seasons fast approaching I'm not so sure!

Still no sheds yet for me to report but I got a email forward yesterday that some of you might appreciate... about a guy out west collecting sheds over the past 50 years... pretty neat site. Check it out. antlerman dot com

I found this awesome devil skull last weekend while steelhead fishing. It is hanging in the tree on the bank of my secret creek on the North Shore. If anyone finds it, they found the one of the few spots that I have found on the North Shore that has steelhead and that I have never seen anyone fishing there.

1209009737_northshoreapril18020.jpg

yeah unfortunately i cant take credit for it. However i did find a coupld more things the past couple days. sunday afternoon, i took a little hike and came across a small fork horn, nothing special, but it was officially number 20 for the year, trying to make that my annual goal so i was pleased to get it. ANd then on monday after work, i walked a spot I hadnt walked yet this year and found a dead half rack 10 pointer. I tried for a good 15 minutes to get the one side off so it would be a shed, but it was solid! I ended up just cutting it off with my trusty bone saw. Nothing huge, probably about 110 inch 10 pointer, had potetntial though, always hate to find dead bucks like that. Unfortunately my wife had the camera both those days so the only pictures I was able to take were once I got back home.... The buck was positively a bowkill. It had both and entry and exit hole, looked to be a double lung even, weird that they never found it??

002-8.jpg

003-10.jpg

004-9.jpg

Awesome finds guys! Shed hunting is something that I have wanted to get serious about for a long time, but I just finished up school in December and lived about an hour away from home, so it never really worked out for me with gas/commitments/etc. Weekends were my only time and the weather was ALWAYS less than desirable to go search. I got a job now that is only 10 miles from home so now maybe I will have some more time to search! But it always seems like my dad finds em all in the alfalfa field when he is cutting hay. I have never found anything in the CRP even though I have seen bucks in there.

out of all the sheds I have found over the years, the 4th one i ever found, scored just over 67 inches... Anyways, after messing around with it, i discovered something , when set on its base, it is self standing.... at the time I didnt know or think anything of it... but then over the years picking up shed after shed, i have never picked another one up that could do this. SO i started thinking maybe it was pretty rare. Anyways, about 2 weeks ago i picked up a matched set that had one typical 5 point side ,and one nontypical 2 point side. Well last night i was holding the set, when i set it down on its base... low and behold, ANOTHER self standing antler. This one will actualy spin 360 degrees when you flick its browtine and not fall over! Kinda cool i thought. So my question to all you shed hunters, do you have any shed that can do this?!

013-2.jpg

006-8.jpg

007-7.jpg

this one is a video of the shed rotating on its base...

th_005-7.jpg

haha yah i like fishing as well... id enjoy it a whole lot more if i had one of those things they call BOATS!!!! ur right though, i do have a little bit of an obsession with picking up antlers. ok a lot of one!! I should get a few more fish on the wall though, only have one... Kinda becomes unnoticeable with all the sheds I have on display.

My little brother(23) calls me last week when he was out on my parents property because he wants to put in a small food plot... tells me he found the big buck that we scouted the past two years and have seen days before opener. It either got hit by a car or someone shot him this past season and it died out in the CRP 100 yds or so out into the field. Anyways it was just skelton up until the front shoulders and the rest was left untouched still had skin and fur on it but after having it scored this past week it grossed 180 5/8 net 174 3/8. Gonna do a European mount of him and hang it in the cabin. Man I wish I could have put an arrow in that monster.. Have pictures but don't know how to post them.