• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Cam Photos - Lets get going!!!

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that culling "poor quality bucks" from your hunting ground to "improve genetics" is the biggest farce in the hunting world. Unless your huting land is 10 square miles, it just wouldn't work.

It is a known fact that the majority of young bucks will disperse the area where they were born. Some studies have shown young bucks will travel anywhere from a few miles to 20 miles and even further. it is natures way of preventing imbreeding.

also, a lot of smaller antlered deer grow small antlers their first year because they were born late and are still playing catchup from going into their first winter undersized. energy taken into the body always goes towards the deers overall health and body size, then into the antlers.

this is one of the theories why an equal doe to buck ratio will promote bigger bucks. when there are more does than bucks, some does will end up being bred later in the fall and thus will have their fawn(s) late the next spring which often causes the fawn (if a male) to have small antlers during its second summer.

apparently you haven't read about it much. It has been studied over and over again and poven that it does work. If you choose not to do it more power to you, but I am going with the experts on this one and taking out undersirable bucks. Nuff said, let's get back to some pics boys and girls

what experts are claiming that taking out spikes improves genetics. trying to improve antler genetics in a wild free roaming deer herd is about as impossible as it gets.

most bucks in mn dont live long enough to even reach their gentic potential. how could anyone possibly know that a 1 1/2 yr old deer has bad genetics and won't turn into a trophy deer.

B. Amish, you are 100% correct! If you wanna cull deer effectively you better wait wait until theyre about 4 1/2 years old. They have found many spikes that grew to be Boone & Crockets! Even a buck with poor genes would still be a trophy to most at maturity!!! Let them go, you never know for sure....

Mark,

I thought I told you, "under no circumstances are you to photograph my deer mount", when I let you come over to look at it! Sheeeesh... next time I'm gonna have to make sure you leave your camera phone in the truck! grin.gif hehehe

Good Luck!

Ken

p.s.

for the record, the 'experts' are all changing their song and dance on culling spikes and forks. Many articles written over the last couple years on this subject... With the research that has been completed the last few years, they have found out the 1st rack has little impact on the mature rack of a buck. A better gauge is their 3 1/2 year old rack. Barring injury, they will not grow any more points on their main frame (does not incld. kickers, stickers, drops and other trash)... just the main frame. You have the ability to judge their trophy potnetial at that stage. This is now the protocol for all the big pay to shoot ranches. The 'management bucks' that they let you shoot for cheap, are bigger than most bucks any of us will ever get in our lifetime. You are not allowed to shoot young deer (spikes through 6 pointers) any longer at many of these operations.

Those look like some pretty young bucks. Maybe 3 1/2 at the most. If you let them walk this year you will have some monsters. Those two look like brothers. That 9 point might be a year older than the eight. But it looks like you have four nice bucks there.

her are a few from the hunting shack. I am not commenting on which ones we will harvest and which we will save to save myself from getting ripped apart on here.

[image] MDGC0084.jpg

[/image]

MDGC0109.jpg

MDGC0207.jpg

MDGC0226.jpg

MDGC0316.jpg

MDGC0331.jpg

MDGC0333.jpg