• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

quik snaps

Agronomist_at_IA

Some of the jigging spoons I have don't have line loop. So you either have to add a split ring or use a snap. I also use a leader with a swivel so if I'll be changing lures often I just go with the snap, that way my leader stays the same length. As long as you don't bend the snap out of shape they seem to hold alright. One draw back is you tend to foul a little more often but you should be able to detect that.

I use a good snap whenever Im jigging spoons. Like ST I use a mono leader off of my Power Pro and I hate cutting line when changing lures. Then I wind up tieing new leaders all the time. When using jigs, hooks I tie direct. I dont think I have ever lost a fish to a snap opening up on me.

I am having problems find quick snaps, nothing at Gander or Fleet Farm. Where does everyone find them?

I use them all the time and pulled up a 26 inch walleye this weekend on one, no problems getting her up.

Ditto to what Northlander and Surface Tension said. If you are using some type of floro or mono leader, it is going to shorten up pretty fast without one of these. (That is, unless you use the same jig all day.)

Here is a picture of what I use:

snapduolock.jpg

Just to clarify:

The ones that close are called Duolock Snaps ; the "hook" shaped ones that don't clasp shut are called Fast Snaps.

I use the Duolock's all the time, and have never had an issue with failure.

I have not found walleye to take issue with this teensy bit of extra hardware, and like Northlander mentioned, it sure helps when changing lures, especially when it's cold and/or windy, and you're fishing outside the shack.

I considered using the Fast Snaps for my little panfish jigs, but I decided against it because the Fast Snaps will not hold my jigs in the correct position, i.e., horizontal.

When I tie the knot for these teeny jigs, I can cinch it down; this means I can get the jig to hold in it's horizontal position. If you have a vertical presenting jig (such as a shrimpo) , then the Fast Snap will probably work o.k.

Final note: Don't try to use the Fast Snaps on your open water casting rods. Though the small ones might be o.k. with fly's, if you have any weight on the end of the line(say for instance a Mepps #3 Black Fury inline spinner grin.gif), it'll snap out pretty easily on your backcast...or so I've been told grin.gif.

I bought some of those "Fast Snaps" to try this winter. I had a terrible time changing lures with them, they're just too small to get a good grip on. I had to use a needlenose to get a grip on them. I finally realized I can cut the line and retie faster than trying to use the "fast" snap. I'll have to give the duolocks a try I guess.

I've been using the fastsnaps all winter as well. They do seem a little tough at first but after changing jigs a few times they sort of break in. I think they are small enough that they wont scare fish, and also you'll probably break your line before a fish bends it open. Love them for my tip-up leaders so I'm not constantly cutting line and re-doing the leaders.