• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tackle box

Big Dave2

What kind of tackle box is everyone using these days?

For a long time I was using a soft side with 6 or 7 Plano clear utility boxes inside. I absolutely loves it, except I could never leave it overnight in the boat on fishing trips or everything would get wet if it rained. Or if you were fishing in the rain it got soaked and if I didn't open up all the plano boxes afterwards my tackle would start to rust frown.gif.

Then 2 years ago I switched to one of those big hard plastic Tackle boxes with all the drawers and a big compartment on top. I don't think this is the answer either. Takes up a lot of room in the boat when the drawers are open and I just find it harder to use. Its also bigger but doesnt seem to hold as much stuff for some reason.

Anyone got any better ideas?

I use a soft sider. I keep folded up garbage bags in the storage pocket in case of rain. I've never had a rust problem although when I get home I take everything out and wipe it down. Not what's inside the boxes but the boxes themselves.

personally I like the hard cover boxes, as long as they have the utility trays. I feel I"m more organized with this type box. I just don't like having everything tucked away in zippered pouches, refering to like pliers, scissors, line cutters and other misc stuff that a person has in their box. Open up the lid and you can see what you need.

Count me in the softsided categoryw ith plastic trays - I do the garbage bag thing. I have an open tray holder that holds about 8 trays that I carry too. When I am in my boat I have clear plastic boxes about the size of shoeboxes for my soft plastics - one for stickbaits, one for craws, one for worms, etc.

Way too much stuff to go back to the old hard plastic box again.

Daze Off

sands. there are a couple of things to use to prevent rust. one is to save and use those silica bags you get with stuff. there is also a product out called "the rust inhibitor." do a search and you should be able to find it.

Soft side bags with the removable boxes are the way to go. Just find a soft side with some decent material and get the plano's with the quality latches. No problems with rusting for me and I seem to enjoy the rain these days in the guide wear. grin.gif

a soft side is the only way to go for a shore angler like myself. with the shoulder strap on, i can still cast without having to set my stuff down. when i wade, i just load up a small box, and either put it in a pocket or in a fanny pack. i am thinking of getting the BPS brand xps370, or the flambeau 5005 this year. they each have some features that i really like.

I think I am going back to my soft-sider.

I just found out that there are actually plastic boxes with the rust inhibitor built into it!

Flambeau makes some that they call "Zerust"

Plano makes them too, but I cant remember what they called theirs. The planos were a little more expensive but have a way nicer latch.

I've got one of those Cabelas Advanced Angler Series bags and I love it! Pockets, map pouch, plier holder, hard plastic bottom, padded shoulder strap, etc. Its got room for everything you can think of. Mine holds 6 of the Plano boxes so I just mix and match what I need for the day and run with it.

I plan on adding a couple more this summer for other gear and tackle.

I use hard side boxes. With the soft sides you run into troubles with the zippers breaking and the soaking wet box problem with rust everyone is talking about. Not only does rain get a soft box wet, so does the water that sits in the bottom of your boat. I do 90% of my fishing out of a 14' bench seat boat and there always seems to be a little water in the bottom. I have one soft bag that I keep a bunch of powerbait in and I always seem to be looking for a spot to hang it so it dries after I'm done fishing. I have several different smaller boxes that I keep my stuff in. One box has jigs, bobbers, and other terminal tackle in it that I need for panfishing. Another box carries crankbaits, bass jigs, spinnerbaits, topwaters and other bass/walleye/northern tackle. If I am going panfishing I only need the one box. If I am going for bass and other bigger fish I bring the other box. If I'm not sure what I'm going to catch, I take both boxes. The two smaller boxes are much easier to handle than the one giant box. Inside my boxes I have a bunch of clear plastic boxes to keep my stuff organized and easily accessable. If you get a hard side make sur the contents of each tray will stay in place should the box happen to tip over. Don't go cheap and get the old-fashioned tray boxes. I don't plan on switching to a soft side any time soon.

There's my 2 cents.

Whatever you decide, get something bigger than what think you need! I've made that mistake three times now.

I think a tackle bag will hold more stuff won't it?

I use two tackle bags. One bag for misc, slip bobber, jigs, plastics, spinner components etc.. The other bag holds my cranks. If I put all of that together, would the biggest and badest plastic tackle box be able to hold it?

I am looking at getting a Cabelas Super Magnum bag (Storm Proof) which holds 12 (3700)trays. Is there a hard sided box that has this kind of storage?