• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2007 Muskie/Pike Photo Board

Random guy

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great trip up to Lake of the Woods. I caught a 43 inch musky and thought I was the king of the trip. Boy was I wrong!!The next day my wife Shannon caught this 50X21 inch muskie. She caught it on a fuzzy grub tipped with a leach. Shannnon was using 6 lb test line!!! shocked.gif Sure was a heck of a battle. It took almost 30 minutes to land her. I am happy to report she swam away very strong.Funny thing was that Shannon caught a 36 inch Norther the next day on the same set up. She sure likes to out fishing me!

nwa040rn0.jpg

My first muskie... 32". Caught on Minnetonka with my new muskie spinning rod/reel setup (7' St Croix Ex-Hvy action/Shimano Symetre 4000) with a custom muskie in-line spinner (similar to a DC-10). I took a couple quick pictures with my cell-phone and released her quickly. Sorry about the rather poor and unorthodox shots, but I was fishing alone and it was the only way I could take pictures.

274725236.jpg

274725235.jpg

-Gregg B.

I've been using spinning gear for larger fish for a long time. However, after I moved to Minnesota a few months ago, I thought it might be a good idea to get an extra heavy set-up (lots of big, toothy critters up here). It was a great fight on the spinning gear, but I would have to say this extra-heavy spinning rod is likely eqivalent to a heavy-action muskie casting rod. It is also fast-action. I have casted lures up to 4 oz. with this. Mind you, that is where it can get difficult... very heavy lures can be a challenge where you have to release the line while casting. Big spinners like the DC-10 are not too bad, however. I never used a Double Cowgirl, yet. I am interested in getting a couple showgirls, if I can ever find them. With these big spinners, you certainly can feel all the vibration of the thing all the way up to your shoulder. I would guess the expierience is similar to what you would feel with casting gear as well. My arm, especially my elbow, gets sore after casting for 6 hours. But, I am not sure it is from fighting fish grin.gif, or from casting all day. All I can say is, I hope the reel can handle the abuse just as good as the rod can. St. Croix is suddenly my favorite...

-Gregg B.

EatSleepFish - We use both, but my kid (just turned 14!) particularly loves the DC10, and for good reason. He caught 7 fish last week, all on the DC10. Three from 37 - 42 on the red with hammered copper blades, and 4 big ones on the black with hammered nickel blades at night. In three consecutive nights on that black one he caught a 46, a 49.5 x 23, a 51x22, and a 51 x 23.5. The silicone skirt swirls great and is a great attractant. It's also a little easier to get the hooks out as there is only one on the end, whereas the Cowgirls have the second hook hanging off the side. Matt Snyder of Chad Cain guide service and Llungen Lures gave us a little tip - put a 45 degree bend in the wire below the eye above the clevises. This prevents the skirt from "spinning" on the wire and keeps it puffed out and twirling all the time. He caught the biggest one in the 8 at boatside - quite a rush.

Well today was a good day on Minnetonka. Although I didn't land any Muskies I did manage to hook into a few fairly large size pike (28-31"). The first one was from one flat and the other two were off a point within 50' of each other and I caught them within 10 minutes of eachother. They put up a good fight and the last one went airborn which is always a treat

MinnTonkaPike1.jpg

MinnTonkaPike2.jpg

MinnTonkaPike3.jpg

Here's one from the other evening, followed a bucktail nice and hot, let her sit for an hour or so, came back with a topraider and she hammered it, came up from below and went airborn when she ate it, with about 10 feet of line out...one of the most exiting strikes in quite some time.

Mid 40's.

skivo4.jpg