• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice house-finally done; well almost! (PICS)

End of the Line

As alot of you know I have been at this project since May. It still needs some finishing touches like the decals/stripes, curtains, etc... but here are my most recent pics anyway. A few of the features I put in it are exterior night lights for safety, 12 volt plugs at all the fishing locations so you can run your electronics off the house batteries, bathroom and kitchen vent fans, 9 inch flat screen TV/DVD that can use either DC or AC power. On board charger so if I use the generator, the batteries autocharge. 75" long custom cushions and covers. And I had my buddy help make me all custom oak cabinets and stuff to fit my design.

icehouse041pl8.jpg

icehouse043he0.jpg

icehouse044ct2.jpg

icehouse046hd7.jpg

icehouse047nx5.jpg

icehouse048ud8.jpg

Fine craftsmanship and great planning. I like the idea of all of the power ports throughout, especially the idea of running your electronics off the house battery. That's a great looking outfit. Nice work and good luck!

MJ

When you ask "Would you do it again?" I am not sure. This is my second house that I have built. Of course there are a few things I'd change already. Even the best planning leaves a few ideas uncovered until assembly. I built this one to last forever and hope I never have to build another one again. The only reason I built this one is I have a few ideas no one else would put together. Good or bad this is what I wanted.

I haven't weighed it yet but I will and post it then. There's alot more oak in there than I had planned! grin.gif

Here's one more pic with me and my oldest son, he cant wait!

icehouse052za7.jpg

'The Foam Factory' made the cushions, and 'Knox Foam' made the covers. My cushions are the High Denisty Lux 4" foam. After gettting them I would save the money and only order 3" thick, the foam is that good and you can save quite a bit of money. The covers are made from Twill. You can do a search and should find both. You can size your order online easily. To find custom covers on the Knox site, go to there 'site map' and click on mattress covers. Very happy with both companies.

I also had a great experience with Ron at Fish House Supply and Jay at Soderblooms in Cromwell. They are both sponsors on this site and I recieved top knotch service from both, so a little shout out to both of them as well! Thanks!

Its an 8x16 frame with a 3' V-nose so its 19' overall for the shell. The house however is 8'4" outside. The trailer is tandem torsion axles with Hydraulic lift custom made for me to my design. One of the best factors in this house is that the torsion axles are one piece and extend from tire to tire.

Yes, I welded the whole house from light gauge 2" steel tubing and spray foamed most every tube inside. There is 2" of foam under the floor with a teflon backer. The walls are 2" of foam between the studs and another 1/2" inside to break thermal bridging. Same in the ceiling except there is 3/4" break.

trailer1rh3.jpg

axlehk4.jpg

trailershellvh3.jpg

icehouse017zv1.jpg

Ive been around. Aircraft technician at Mesaba Airlines & Northwest Airlines, Officer in the Douglas County Jail, Realtor at Edina Realty, I also have my own charter fishing business on Lake Superior, a few other places, and currrently at BNSF Railroad in the track department. Hopefully this will be the last company I have to work for! grin.gif

I would have to say that house is the worst thing i have ever seen and you should Imediatly drive it to my house and leave it in my drive way, and i will take care of the rest for you. wink.gif

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WOW, wish i could build like that. And even if i could my wife would break my thumbs so i couldnt. Great job.

Sweet house.....

I was going to ask how you stopped the cold transfer through the steel tubes, but just read about your 1/2" and 3/4" thermal breaks. That should work great. It is amazing how that cold can run though them metal parts. I used aluminum tubes for my framing and thermally broke on both exterior and interior as aluminum is a much better conductor. Seems to work well.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.