• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$75.00 in my Stocking

McGurk

I have all of the essentials (house/heater/flasher/camera/rods/reels), but need to know what you'd buy from Gander Mtn (gift card). Maybe a gear bag? I'm trying to lighten up a little. ANY replies appreciated, Thanks!

do you have a H2O or the lakemaster chip????? or if you don't have a st croix legend w/spring bobber rigged with a tica cetus sb500 well then you need these!!! wink.gif or get a good rod bag to carry your equipment and protect your rods!!!

You don't mention an auger, but I assume you do. Is it a power auger? Looking to lose some weight from the whole package? use the $75 for a nice Lazer hand auger. They way this winter is going, its all you'll need. Otherwise I would go for some chubby darters or some summer rapalas.

Yes on both the hand and power augers, but nice catch. I picked up a TB rod and Tica reel already from Matt J at the show, but that would have been nice too; I don't think Gander Mtn sells those lines, though. SOS is a nice thought, I might have to have a look and see if they carry it. I already have a GPS and the Lakemast Contour Pro; that would have fit the bill nicely, too. Keep 'em coming!

I like HL's suggestion. One thing I want to get which doesn't cost too much are some ice chaps to keep my knees padded and lower legs dry when kneeling on the ice. Can't go wrong with tackle, line, and other gear. Can never have too much of that, right? wink.gif

$75 at Gander, eh?

Hmmm...

Gander carries JB Lures products. I would pick up a few 1/8 & 1/4 oz Rattling Varmints. These have been dynamite for me so far this winter. Wouldn't hurt to have a nice collection of Angel Eyes, Weasels, and Varmints either. These jigging spoons will eat your $75 up before you know it.

Gander has Tica SB500 reels. That would be about $35.

How about a good headlamp?

Nice options, Hanson. Thanks for the insight. I got a SB500 for christmas and a Sweet Thing, but am interested in SOS. I am contemplating returning the rod to Thorne Bros to trade in for some SOS, and then apply the giftcard towards a St Croix legend rod, and some lures. But I don't really want to give up the Sweet Thing, either. Any thoughts?

Quote:

Nice options, Hanson. Thanks for the insight. I got a SB500 for christmas and a Sweet Thing, but am interested in SOS. I am contemplating returning the rod to Thorne Bros to trade in for some SOS, and then apply the giftcard towards a St Croix legend rod, and some lures. But I don't really want to give up the Sweet Thing, either. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts? Hmmmm... Get another gift card. blush.gif

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get rid of the Sweet Thing rod. You'll regret that one.

St. Croix Legend spring bobber rod is also a "must have" IMO. If you haven't used one yet, it'll totally change the way you panfish.

SOS is also very useful. But out of the options you listed, I would probably get the SOS if there is money left over but not ditch the Thorne rod to get it.

You really posed a tough question. smile.gif But ultimately, its the rod & reel that catch the fish. The SOS may attract & hold them but you still need a high quality rod to pick up the finicky biters.

Its kind of like the age old question, should I get a power auger or flasher with the $400 I have. Yikes. A guy really needs both. smile.gif You need a hole to fish out of but a flasher to see the fish. But you can't use a flasher if you don't have a hole.

I got a soft sided Rapala tackle bag with 3 plastic trays inside of it at GM for $9.99. Now I have that filled with ice tackle and some gear, and I have a reg Plano for the open water. Propane is something a fella can't have enough of, 1 lbs or 20 lbs.