• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris or Honda

DRH1175

In your opinion who makes a better unit for Ice fishing and deer hunting? Trail riding is not a issue. This will be a work rig only. I am looking at the sportsman 500efi and the Foreman 500 or rancher 420efi

I'm lookin' at similar rigs and dreaming....

I know Honda's rep is legendary in terms of reliability and workhorse attitude, and dollar for dollar, an EFI 420cc machine for $4500 is a killer deal. Not sure I'd pay the extra for another 80cc on the Foreman 500, especially with carbs.

That being said, I like trail riding too and like to support our own here in MN and will probably end up with a Sprotsman 500HO or one of the new 450s, which seem like a good value.

Good luck!

Blaze

I've got a 500HO and it hasn't let me down yet, my next wheeler is going to be another Polaris for sure. I also have 2 buddy's that have Acric Cat's and they've been just as good. I've heard real good things about Honda to, just don't have any experiance with them... well besides the good ol' big red!

I would choose the Polaris between the 3 mentioned. probably get a better deal on one and it will last the same as the Honda for what you are doing. Polaris also has AWD instead of 3wd.

On the other hand the Honda's are 150+ lbs. lighter.

Also, I do prefer the metal rack as apposed to the solid plastic one Polaris has unless you get a rack extension.

No question what I would choose!......In all I've had a dozen Hondas and logged an estimated 60,000 miles (possibly as much as 70,000, the early ones had no speedo) and not one has ever seen a warranty claim for anything..... EVER! I ride with 5 other guys all on various Honda models all with similar experiences. None of us has ever had a warranty issue. I only remember 1 recall on a Rancher and one on a Rincon but neither had a problem related to the recall. I think that speaks volumns about Honda quality!

I like polaris, I've owned three of them. My last was an '05 sportsman 700 but I sold it, I'm regretting it now. They ride smooth, have tons of power, very capable in really rough terrain, and have been reliable for me. I'm just don't believe the whole "honda is reliable" idea. Of the 20-25 people or so I've went riding with, most have hondas and they also break down the most. Not sure if it's just because there's more of them or what.

I personally own a Polaris. A couple of things that I like about the Polaris Sportsmans are that they have storage under the front rack and they also have a 12V charger in the headlight cowling. If you like to use a handheld GPS, that feature comes in very handy with being able to be charge your GPS while out on the lake.

Although I do own a Polaris, I think everyone of the big manufacturers has a four wheeler that would suit me just fine. I don't really get into the pride of what I ride. I just happened to come across a good deal on my Sportsman, so that's what I ended up buying.

I dont think you would have a problem with either one of them to tell you the truth. It doesnt sound like you plan on working the thing hard, your not trying to win races.. either one of them is going to seem real comfortable comparing to walking a couple miles on the ice, or dragging a deer by hand.

Hondas are more reliable of a machine than polaris in the long run. For the little use you intend on using the machine for, I dont think its really going t make a bit of difference, and I am not sure if you would be more satistfied with one than the other.

If your worried about the best deal.. buy one for that, if you want to get the machine that feels best to you.. do that. I would recommend checking other types of machines also.. I like my kodiak 450(now griz).. its a little smaller, lighter, and its got a lot of power and acceleration... it just feels good, comfortable, not a tank.. and it keeps on going and doesnt break down. I cant complain.

This a ford/chev/dodge/toyota debate.. I dont think yo can make a bad choice for what you intend on doing.

I have an X2 and love it. It is my 3rd polaris and I have no complaints on it. I got about 4000 miles each out of the first 2 before I upgraded and miss the old machine still even though I love the one I own now.

I just bought a honda foreman 500. the reason being that my dad has a foreman 400 a late 90's i believe and from all the beating that myself and my two brothers have given that machine i cant believe that you can just walk up to it turn the key push the button and your off. That is the only experience I have had from wheelers except riding a friends polaris 700 that thing had some crazy power going from riding that little old 400.

I just set up a 420 last week, and noticed Honda put the same old-timey inboard drum brake set up like they did 30 years ago on 110s and what-not. You'd think $5 worth of new technology would come on a new model w/ EFI....

How much time do you want to spend on maintenance? They both will need oil and filters serviced, so that's a wash. Ask the dealers how many grease zerts you have to maintain, and how you have to adjust the belt, and if the belt housing leaks and you go through water what happens to your ability to move. When you get done researching this like I did in 2005, and unless something changed, you'll buy a Honda and never look back! The Foreman in the ES has been unstoppable, low maintenance, pulls the ice house fine starts everytime and doesn't have a bajillion grease zerts or a belt to mess with. Honda all the way.

I will admit the Polaris use to have a lot of grease zerks but now I think I only have 2. I have put on 10000 miles on the 3 Polaris I had and never had to adjust a belt? They do have a drain plug on the belt cover now in case they do get wet which is nice. I haven't looked at a Honda recently but when we did they had too small of gas tank, low ground clearance and full time 4WD which wouldn't have suited our riding style. Too bad because they are a dependable machine.

Own 1986 Honda 250 2WD, 1999 Honda Foreman 450 ES with a winch and a plow, and a 1999 Polaris 335 Sportsman with a winch and a plow. Have three sons who spent their teenage years hard riding the honda's with out a single problem.I like the quality and pulling power of the Honda's but the steering of a full time four wheel drive is a pain. The Polaris starts good,is a dream to drive and ride and it has AWD when you need it. I think these over sized 800, 700, etc ATV's are just keeping up with the Jones...not needed and sometimes two large and heavy for the tighter trails and boggy areas.I would buy a Honda TRX500FM Foreman or a Polaris 500 Sportsman in that order and be happy either way. Tink

Tink, I will agree with you on the keeping up with the Jones statement. I wanted to get the 800 because it was the biggest. But I also liked the versatility of the X2. I am glad I went with the X2. I feel they will be cracking down so much that there will be barely any mud holes to ride in legally. I plan on getting a lot of use from my X2 next week ice fishing.