• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frustrated - need to vent

Blaze

I love to ride my snowmobile. I mean I REALLY enjoy riding my sled. The problem is, we haven't had any decent riding snow around here (Mpls Burbs) for a number of years now, and when it does arrive, we have a whopping 6-8 weeks to enjoy it (usually only on weekends for me). It gets expensive having to drive 3+ hrs to find snow, not to mention I have $6K+ in Polaris toys sitting idle 10 months/year!

I am honestly considering selling both my sleds and getting an ATV instead...at least I can use that year round. Am I the only one?!?!?

Grrrrr.........confused.giffrown.gif

HAHA....that's easy for you to say sledneck......I hear you pal, i also just bought a new sled this year and i'll be darned if it isn't just wasting money in my garage....oh well there's alway's ice fishing...oh wait....i'm moving in with sled neck. cool.gif

Sledneck - I'm working on that! My wife is a college teacher and we're just waiting for an opening so she can hopefully apply & transfer. I would need to make a career change to move back north (grew up in NW MN), but that would be a very welcome change. Winters just ain't what they used to be in MN, but when it does arrive, I sure love it!

I hear all your frustrations! I bought a newer/used sled last winter, and my wife liked it so much she had to have one, but I found a great deal a brand new one! smirk.gif I can't believe I've blown so much on sleds, but we LOVE to ride trails, and I need one for fishing anyways.

We snuck onto a lake last Saturday to cure the itch. Along the shores there was about 4-5" of powder and we put on a some miles. grin.gif

As we were about to leave our place all suited up she says "are we going to look like complete idiots?" I only responded..."yep, let's go!". grin.gif

I wouldn't sell quite yet. There is a hint in the forecast that a winter storm may be brewing our way. Cross your fingers and pray to the snow gods!!

I know exactly what you guys mean. I'm so frustrated I haven't even bothered to get my sled ready for this year. I isn't worth spending the time or money, but I will. I figure if I leave the sled in pieces it will snow. Kind of like when it rains after I wash my truck.

Quote:

Quote:

Move to an area that gets snow. Problem solved.

Is that what you are going to do? There isn't really enough to ride in the range area either, is there? Say yes and I'll be there Friday night!

Well, Vermilion just got 2" today during the daytime (still snowing) and if the snow keeps up there might be an opportunity to get some lake riding in this weekend without worrying about overheating. You got your sleds loaded up yet?

verm.jpg

[quote You got your sleds loaded up yet?

Not loaded.... but full of gas, full of oil, new belt and a fresh wax job. And its a DOO, so its just pull the rope and go!

I'll surely be "on a trail near you" as soon as the snow flies. cool.gif

I am having the same frustration, Bought 2 new sleds in the past 2 months, have never owned sleds before and thought what the hell. Not thinking clearly the $11k i spent could have bought me a pretty nice drop axle house that would also haul my wheelers inside in the summer and serve as a camper.

I hear ya as well. Last year I took the groomer out twice on the Belle Plaine area trails, but never got a chance to take the sled out locally. By the time I had a chance to get out the snow was gone. 1 weekend trip to Virginia, MN & my annual trip to Wyoming is all. It needs to get better soon.

Quote:

I just bought the wife a used 05 700 this fall...

shocked.gif WOW. She must be quite a woman! Is she an experienced rider? I bought my wife an older Indy 500 this year, and I'm a bit nervous cutting her loose with that much power.

Sledneck - do you live on Vermilion?

seems of late we get only about one month of good riding, in the aitkin area. nothing at all around the metro anymore.

my sleds at the shop getting some recalls done, but it dosn't look like I will need it till next year, the way they talk on the local news weather. which is been about normal the last few years. at least we have ice this year grin.gif

I feel your pain.

I sold my sled last spring. I got sick of the insurance and all that and only getting 1 or 2 months to ride.

Used the money to buy dirt bikes for my daughter and I. Last year, we used them from late April till late October, almost every weekend.

Tom B

Where do you go to ride dirt bikes? I have thought about selling both the sleds and getting dirt bikes. Grew up riding south of Bismarck, ND in the river bottoms. At least with bikes you know you will be able to ride.

We spend alot of time riding the Paul Bunyan State Forest north of Akeley and are members of the Paul Bunyan Forest Riders. I joined D23 (more info at armca.org) and we ride the santioned trail rides, enduros and hare scrambles.

I bought a 250 KTM and bought my daughter a KX100. It is a BLAST!!! We camped up at Akeley 4 weekends last summer and each time was more fun than the last.

There are a few guys in the parts dept at Brothers in Brainerd that ride a bunch of D23 events and all the parts guys at Larson Cycle in Cambridge. They could also help you out.

For next year, there are 4 trail rides scheduled and at least 6 enduros and hare scrambles. Makes for a pretty full summer.

Tom B