• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing...

We did the Williams Park stroke today on Oneida, one nice perch and one kicker 10", didn't mark many fish.. Franky and I didn't mark many till late in the day and most were of the under 5" variety. We worked from 6' to 15' up and down and in between the islands and east and just didn't see much. That's fishing, the best parts of the day were fishing with Frank and breakfats and dinner, Deb's Diner what a load for breakfast, good eats plus the chicken wings and refreshments on the way home. Franky things are looking up Lee is looking to get us on a sure thing for your birthday Tuesday. He will post later on how he did on the perch which was probably better than what anything else caught today. Midday cnypanfisher made it out to us and earlier he caught 10 slob perch on tip downs and the bite had shutoff for a couple hours so he made a run over to meet Frank and see how we were doing. Todd and Donny were on the lake too and didn't do much either and Z was on C and caught 3 this morning when he checked in but I tried to call him later to get a final tally but know answer.

Thanks for the ride around Franky, it would have been absolutely miserable fishing if we had to walk around and breaking through late in the day. Till Tuesday...

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a decent day and managed about 30 perch but like I was telling Tim "I really don't like sitting around waiting for fish to swin through" it just so darn boring, I love to search for the schools of fish and stay on them. These darn perch were on the feed bag and eating minnows which meant they didn't stay in one area for long but when they did come through it was hold onto your rod. I lost about a 40" Norther at the hole, did battle with it for about 25 minutes. I can't give location out of respect for the person who found these fish but I can say is we are fishing 14' and leaving the state launch on RT 31.

Big_O_Feb24.jpg

CNY Lee those are some nice perch we went off from a friend of mines house down by fremac.Didnt have a snowmobile we were walking so we didnt go out that far walking was tough. A buddy of mine caught a few nice perch about 20 fow we started in 12 fow and worked are way out.

Tim is generally a family man on Sundays . . .his little Amanda is a cutie and can twist his britches fairly easy as all 5-6 year old little girls can once they look at you with that pouty face . . .they learn early! Been there done that. Heading to the O to join Gotalimit . . . Will post later. Good meeting you ToT . . .Timmie made the same kind of dent on the scramble we had at the diner . . .I could only finish half! Todd too bad you wore yourself out . . could have joined us at the bar for you know what and plenty of them.

Dark Cloud - Off Tuesday sounds like a plan, so aren't Frank and I for his b-day grin.gif and I'm just that type a guy to join him celebrating it on the ice. Hey Frank what's gotalimit got going on Tuesday?

Frank was right! Amanda and I hit Delta this morning for a couple of hours out of AOK, walked a good 1/2 mile to get to where we could get to at least 8' of water. We drilled and jigged as we went., first 4' and 5' and 6' and so on not seeing anything. Had the camera with me but the water was just to milky to see much. Brought the VX-1 along just to make sure everything was o.k. from it's tumble off the sled the other day and it's working great however every 15 min. or so it's starts sounding like my old vex for a couple a minutes then it goes away but it's still works great. I'll check the hold down screws they may have loosened with the tumble from the sled. Anyhow Amanda and I worked and worked trying to get a mark and nothing. We were just about to mail it in when I told her let's move one more time and will stay for 15 min. if nothing will go to Burger King for lunch. wink.gif I mean it's not like I haven't been beat up the last couple of days fishing, right Frank grin.gif

Well Amanda wanted me to change her spoon from the pink/purple to a small nickle swedish pimple and I did. I thought heck if the water is that murky let me put something down there to attract them to her spoon so I through on a big gold sidewinder (Thanks Franky smirk.gif) on my rod. Not even 5 min. later there was big mark under the VX-1 a foot off the bottom in 8' and I told Amanda to keep flipping it and she got scared of the big mark and just as I was ready to grab her pole with my left hand as I was fishing blind to the right of her, the side winder got WHOMPED in my right hand, so I set the hook and wanted to hand it to Amanda but it was to big she said, and Amanda told me to bring it in. To our surprise it was this beauty...

1000418ur0.jpg

My little fishing partner Amanda with a big smile after the catch..

1000419vw0.jpg

Here's Amanda's VX-1

1000420vh4.jpg

We had a great time even though we didn't mark another fish after that. Talked to some guys that were a little north of us and they had a 1/2 dozen perch and a pickerel with there tip-ups. I just called Amanda to show her the pictures on the computer and went into her bedroom because she didn't come out and she's sounds asleep, tuckered her out on the walk I'm sure. wink.gif

Hey guys, Saturday we wound up with 15 all told from 7:30 to 1 in the afternoon fishing. We got all but 3 on tip-downs with buckeyes, and Steve pulled in a jumbo on a green/silver castmaster while I was out asking Tim for his east-lake fishing permits. Was real nice meeting you Frank as well, I will be going out all this week in the afternoons for the night bite and will let you all know when the jumbos really turn on.

TO Tim

Nice walleye amanda its nice to know that you can walk off the ice and say ( we didnt get skunked) good job guys cool.gif.Tim we fished a small farm pond and ended up with 8 nice bluegills,after that we went to e brook res caught a few slime darts and a few more gills that were nice. walking wasnt too bad I have to get me one of those digital cameras so i can post some pictures.

Fished durago off bakers.Walking was terible.1 out of 4 steps down into a ft of slush.Not good for anyone with a heart problem.Ended up with 14 10 of them were good ones.partner ended up with 12.Everything happened in the morning.The afternoon stunk.

Hey Tim, sent you a message on IS, message me back when you get a minute. Going to try the night bite thing this week, heard the last 2 hours the jumbos are turning on a little better. I also heard they are in a little deeper water, and i'm going to look for the guy as I have a description of his shanty + whatnot. I guess he got 25 on Saturday or Friday.

TO Tim

cnypanfisher - Hey bud returned your PM..

Hey dumac what's up? Send me an email buddy..

Big Johnny Ice is fishing the Conesus event this Saturday, he was out on Silver for a couple of hours yesterday 8 big gills and 2 nice perch, Salmonseeker73 and his boy were out on Silver as well yesterday, he's got pics and he will post...

ENY Tyler - How was your trip up north?

With travel conditions on top of the ice deteriorating and not to mention its the middle of the ice season it's no surprise that reports haven't been the greatest, it's the nature of the beast.

North Shore and the Rogue Kid and there neighbor were off Edgewater with 50-75 guys yesterday and it was terrible there as well few fish marked and a sniff and back down they went.

Frank with the best walking conditions on Oneida's North Shore and Delta right now if you wanna go big that would be my choice for tomorrow, we only picked up a 1" of snow last night and Johnny got 4" of snow out his way by Rochester.

How much snow did you get down there Tank?

I'm taking Wednesday off too, Amanda doesn't have dance that day either, that will definitely be a Delta run trying to get after some eyes.. I got the right spoon now to call em in Frank wink.gif

Hey if anyone ventures out to Messenger Shoals and sees a black ice fishing rod bag with 2 poles and assorted lures and ice line . . .give me a holler! The drag from Lewis point to the shoals ended with a lot of snow in my shelter and when I cleaned it out put the bag on the back of the sled and not back in the shelter!!! Forgot it when we headed off after no marks for about 10 minutes. Then the adventure of a life time . . . Al's 2up got bogged down in 2 ft of snow with a good foot of slush under, mine was good to go but I stayed off to the side when I saw him going through slush. . . . finally after about 30 minutes of work, we got everything cleaned out, disconnected and after several tries to lift it we finally got the back end up to "firmer" slush and Al was able to get out of the worst of it. So in all the commotion while getting the sled out, I did notice that the back of my sled was empty but it was not until an hour later as we were putting things away that I actually realized the bag was gone. So, I screamed out to the general area of the shoals trying to keep from getting stuck in any slush . . .but it getting darker and not wanting to get stuck, I gave up the search and came back. That's pretty much the way the day went anyway . . .lots of HUGE marks (probably walleyes) but no takers. Did not see anything small at all. Did not even get a bite crazy.gif Long day . . . good company. Al ended up with a burbot that he is going to try in the pan, plus 2 walleyes around 16-18 inches. He had the same thing as me on his flasher . . .big marks and the old salute! Really don't care where we go tomorrow . . .I'm not working!!!

Had to go back to silver this weekend to see if i could count to 7 this time, and took my son along for his first day on the Ice ever. We got to silver saturday afternoon about 2:30 and just packed the hut up for gills, that two man can get a little heavy with gear and a 5 year old on it!! But I trudged out to where Franky and I fished for the TA. We had to move once to get out of the weeds, but settled into 7-8FOW, and i showed jimi how to site fish for gills. He loved it!! and seeing the big ones come into his jig was great! he was yelling down the hole for them to "Eat It!! " . But we only managed three good ones and a few dinks for about an hour and half. then he said he was done, but he had a great time and so did i, so we packed it up. There was a ton of people out there, everywhere, Ice had 2inches if Crust, 3-4 of slush and 6-8 on hard black, depending on where you were.

And sunday me and a buddie decieded to try the Perch at silver, so trudged the sled from the state launch to the woods.....yes a LONG drag with the slush and snow! We managed 8 good keepers in three hours, but i did make him see the light about Flashers and my "5" , he could'nt see why anyone would fish without one! Anyway, The perch were rather agressive when the did come in, we'd pick up two each time they did, but it was sit and wait every 15min till they made there rounds, most we caught on a 4mm gold diamond jig, and a pearl pimple, and a few on a clown fiskas. about 11 we came in to try for some gills, but only managed two good ones, Had a bunch come in and look, then fin away!! changed jigs 5 times, and couldn't get any to commit, VERY educated!! but had fun!

here is a link to a pic jimi with his Ice Gill.... I think this will work?? Don't know how to get them on here?

jimisunny01ma6.jpg

Well the big O did it to me again. Catch fish in a spot one day and stroke it the next. I drilled over 50 holes in every direction and just couldn't seem to find anything. I only managed 5 good keepers. I think the 500+ snowmobiles that went by me (trying to see how close they could come) might have shut them down or moved the whole school completely. I use to fish for the perch all the time and this is what always happens and your lucky if you can get 2 days in a row of good catching, now I know why I go after panfish now. lol smile.gif

Jimmy,

I forgot to mention in my post above that there is access on Silver Lake up near the 'woods' to save you that long walk. Either off of the 'right-of-way path' on the west side on Traber Road or Silver Grove (both have access there). And there is a path through the woods on the east side of the lake off of Camp Road which is off of RT 39. Go to the end of Camp Road, make a left (south) and down the road a little is a patch of 'woods' that the owner allows people to cut through. You can park along the road with no problems of a potential ticket......

Salmonseeker73 - Jimmy that picture of your boy holding that sunfish is priceless, you can definitely tell that he's your boy, well done...

CNY Lee - Thanks for posting that report and that scratches off another option we were considering. Haven't got a clue of where will be tomorrow and all I know is will be fishing on Frankies birthday and that's fine by me... Frank breakfast at the diner in Richfield Springs with your sled's got me thinking especially after my conversation with Tank this morning. It may be time? I mean they have been untouched this year for at least 6 weeks off LC... Just throwing it out to ya wink.gif

Big Johnny Ice - John thanks for fixing Jimmy's pic, it's a classic. That path through the woods Johnny mentioned has got a little drop down before you hit the ice Jimmy, but it saves you one helluva walk...

BigJohnny- thanks for fixin' my boy's pic!! I need to figure that one out. And on the info on the east side, I know there's a way to get down there, but couldn't remember where it was, and my buddie that was gonna go decided to chase somthing else instead of getting sleep for fishing! But hey that walk keeps me fit!!! I think??

Timmy- are you going tomorrow?? If i get this stuff done i might not feel good tomorrow! so i may be down for some.

Ok guys, I could see 130 and shack shoals from where I was fishing and both spots had over 30 guys on each but nobody is posting anything. My experience usually tells me someone is catching fish when they aren't talking... smile.gif

Probably just weekend warriors, usually penguin from IS is out there but he is done for the year. There were 50 people in front of william's park the weekend before last, and they were working hard for just a few fish each.

TO Tim