• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing...

I have a 3day weekend also im taking a vac day monday something has to give too many dry spells confused.gif.maybe this warmth will turn these fish on I SMELL PERCH FILLETS COOKING grin.gif Good luck to all this weekend wink.gif.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys, after tonight all hell should break loose with these fish. We are talking late ice condition for weekend and next week. Remember safety first when you add an extra 100lbs worth of fish. lol smile.gif I don't know about anyone else but from what I've been seeing for ice isn't good, there is actually only about 6-7 inches of good black ice and the rest is packed snow so it will get sloppy and deep really fast. Have fun, catch lots and post some pics for us to see.

Lee, I got a report on the ice in front of the launch and Canaderago in 30 fow. . . 2 . . . I repeat 2 inches of black ice with a foot of white. That is an accident waiting to happen next week. I hope no one goes alone.

Hey Timmy, you are out there fishing today I hope, at least that's what Robb had said when he called me on his way home from Otsego grin.gif I guess the lakers wanted to just look but not bite today crazy.gif Robb and I are heading back up to the KING aka Lake George tomorrow and Sunday to rock the perch and bring home a couple limit pails of 50 for the freezer. This is getting the time of year when the big jacks start showing up on the grassbeds and I can't wait for tomorrow to see if we can't get some of those big fatties. If they're on we can do a limit in about two hours and then slam some lakers to top it off. Been another real long week in the office and I'm ready for some fishing in the morning cool.gif

Ice on Oneida is great stuff for traveling, maybe the next few days it might degrade some, but his wekend quads, sleds, and walkers are good. Hopefully the jumbos turn on soon, I don't mind waiting till the April bite, but theres nothing like fresh perch through the ice.

Tim -- 3 more weeks till the open water spot we talked about starts, i'll send you a PM on IS with a report of tomorow's catch as well.

TO Tim

Hit the big O yesterday with my buddy donnie off the south shore.Between the hrs of 7am and 9am both donnie and I limited on walleyes smallest was 15 inches biggest was 21 no perch.We marked allot of sniffers and the big marks are the only ones that would commit were the walleyes.The sniffers were probably perch? There was 13 to 14 inches of black ice and 4 inches of snow ice. Going to try again this morning hope to have the same results but with some perch this time I know they are there todays another day. Tim are you fishing today give me a shout whats franky up to? grin.gif.

3 days fishing boys... and Frankie is doing fine! We kicked it off with some perching with the Vassil's Friday, tough day marking fish but we coaxed a few for a meal..

Here's the boys Friday.. From left to right.. Z, Dark Cloud and Tank (The Perch Master) grin.gif

1000425en8.jpg

Here's a few perch that went home...

1000427nx4.jpg

Saturday I didn't mark many fish at all and the best flurry of fish I had was late afternoon after Tank and Billy left.. It was not a good day to catch unless your name was Billy wink.gif or the two guys to our right wink.gif

1000428lr8.jpg

Today Fishing was with the ENY Gang it was a pleasure meeting Torg and of course seeing ENY Tyler and Bud again. Thanks for spreading the MarCum love boys! We got a few slabs and couldn't ask for a better day on the ice I must say I lost my fair share of craps today a nice bruiser too frown.gif and of course a few misses on the first few fish of the day but overall a good day on the ice, loads of fun...

Here's ENY Tyler with the first crappie of the day...

1000429yk8.jpg

Way to go Bud, nice rock bass!

1000432si6.jpg

Frankies first one!

1000430pf7.jpg

One nice slammer!

1000431vy2.jpg

Here's my pile of keeps...

1000433pf8.jpg

Tyler and Buds...

1000434eb2.jpg

Frank and I had a great time this weekend and the drive east was well worth it. I caught all my crappies on plastics and no bait. Tyler spanked em on a spoon and minnow head. Definitely will be making that trip again. Thanks Tyler!

Fished the same spot as yesterday caught 2 walleyes 2 perch went out to 32fow caught 1 walleye (short) 9 smallmouth and 1 whiteperch that was about14 inches.The biggest bass about 4 lbs grin.gif.marked allot of fish that wouldnt take confused.gif.

Nice fish guys tim great pics it looks like the weather at the end of this week is going to be cold cool.gif.My fishing partner celebrates st patricks day this weekend so im going to be solo so if anybody needs some company on the ice smile.gif.

With all this warm weather look for perch in the pre-spawn areas, there is some warmer water runoff that is bringing them closer to the weed beds. We looked all weekend for them, fished the stick where we were last trip we took between the islands in front of Constantia, then back toward shore. We finally found them, 14 FOW and got some real honeys, and its a lot shorter walk for them if you don't have a sled + whatnot.

Timmy, give me a jingle at pop's this afternoon sometime, left you a PM at IS with the number again in case you don't have it.

TO Tim

Dad and I went up the neighbors pond just now for an hour and a half. Caught about a dozen bass and a dozen gills. He got a gill that was pushing the 11 inch mark, no ruler but we marked a rod and looks to be 10 3/4ish, let them all go....

dsc00629vc9.jpg

dsc00630xa7.jpg

Timmy - nice fishing with you on friday.We had a nice pile of filets from dads 20, my 15 and yours. You or Frankie off tomorrow? Not sure about tomorrow? Owasco, Oneida, Canadarago?

CNYpan - How was the travel conditions on Oneida? Foot? Quad?

Nice pics and fish everybody! Timmy it looks like it was worth the drive out this way for some crappie action. I ended up fileting well over 100 perch for both days which included a limit for me each day and some others from one of our fishing companions. It was the best weekend I've ever seen at Lake George for numbers and size of the perch. Most of the perch were between 10" and 12" which is excellent for that lake. I was crushing them on a jigging rap and it wasn't even necessary to tip it most times and the perch were coming 10ft off the bottom to meet your lure while another 5 or 10 waited below. Just one big perch after another, hour after hour and simply incredible numbers of nice fat fish! As we head into late ice it should get even better. What a great weekend and the electric knife was smokin hot by the time I got done cleaning all those fish each day grin.gif I'll be right back on my majic perch bed come Saturday morning wink.gif

Keep the reports and good times coming boys this is great!! Finally fish being caught with some regularity congratulations on your trips and pics. Work sucks but this inspection is going to take up much of my time unfortunately it looks like a weekend deal until the end of the season for me.

Tank I must say that pure bluegill is HUGE!!!! That's a dandy and would make one heck of a pretty mount, congratulations! Nice camera work Jay, had a great time Friday. Tank call me on the ice if you get out there with cnypanfisher and I think Tuzzy is calling in sick for Wednesday. I want to thank you Tim for the PM and the call this morning.

Todd - Called Paully and left a message for him to call me back on your unit??? Nothing yet... frown.gif

Taking her easy and filleting the craps up tonight, talk at you guys soon and thanks for sharing info.

Hey Tank, hope you check this before tomorrow. Talked to my friend Steve and he said quads were Ok for tomorrow, and the walk is just fine as well. He picked up 12 nice ones, just got off the phone with him he fished 2 hours after work. He talked to another guy that was fishing the area we were talking about, + he said the morning bite was faster action. We need to put some big hog pics up so Timmy won't go west next weekend, i'm sure if we get into the biguns him and Frank can't resist a BIG O pizza party saturday.

TO Tim

Well the die has been cast and the party will commence in the morning with Tank, Dark Cloud, Billy, Franky, Z and myself... Bring the sun tan lotion it's gonna be hot.

The power auger is ready to rip., batten down the hatches cnypanfisher the boys are a coming. Change of plans for breakfast Tim I'm meeting Frank at Dippin here in Rome before we head west... See ya on the ice...

Fished south shore this afternoon fished about 20 open holes from 30fow to 6 fow .Fished for about 4 1/2 hrs marked 2 fish the hole time the results 1 perch shocked.gif. It was very warm you could here the ice melting still 12 inches of black and 4 inches of white ice.It was still better than being at work smile.gif a few more days like today and the south shore shore line will be real sketchy frown.gif.

Fished Constantia from 10' to 22' and we didn't mark hardly any fish at all. Enjoyed a great day with friends fishing in attendance were Tank, Frank, Billy, Rob, Craig, Sara, cnypanfisher, Steve and relatives and Jared. Jared did the best with 7 nice perch before we left him. Frank, Billy and I had only one slammer a piece. Great day for dink perch but the slobs were just hiding. Took some pics of the fish I caught and Frank with his and Tank on the power auger.

1000436sm1.jpg

1000437wp7.jpg

1000438mf0.jpg

lesterl I wouldnt go alone late ice you have to look for honeycomb spots,larger cracks, pressure ridges if the ice looks heaved up stay away from these spots!The shore lines where creeks,rivers,smallstreams stay away from these also be very careful and dont go alone.ICE SPIKES,ROPE take with you.I dont know where you are from or who you are be safe and stay on top.

Todd, great advice . . .the snow/white ice is insulating the black for now, but things are changing and the weather is not cooperating as far as ice conditions. We do have some colder temps coming in to tighten things up but still . . .better safe than sorry. Bring safety stuff and a buddy.

Well, I finally have a chance to post.....I spent the last three days on Silver lake....the perch were on fire all if you know the spot all three mornings up until 11am and then they shut off. Sunday and yesterday were a little slower, but still managed to get some really nice fish. Monday was one of the best days ever for me on Silver in awhile. I could have limited out on them if I kept the 9 inchers, but only kept the ones 10" and above. Landed a HOG 13" Monday around 9:30am....here is the pic:

perchun6.jpg

Yesterday, I sight fished in the NE corner and got some nice gills. Crappies came in also, but all were undersize. Talked to a couple of guys that landed a couple of 14 inch crappies Monday around dusk. I couldn't stay that late, so the big ones might have come in again.

Thanks Maki Plastics--those black Polli's were the ticket to entice the bigger gills....also, the crappies just came in and smacked them, too.

Yesterday's weather was awesome---60 degrees and ice fishing. Can't get any better than that.

Ice conditions were great, also. 12" of solid clear ice with around 2-3 of white on top. When I left, that top section was a little slushy.

Don't know how this rain will effect the ice, but I am hoping to get out on Saturday am for the perch again grin.gif

Timmy, can you say ROAD TRIP cool.gifcool.gif

Johnny now that's a grand slam buddy! grin.gif Hitting the trifecta perch, gills and craps way to go.... That's a slammer perch right there. Left you a message at work, call me..

Z and Craig are on C following up a good report from a couple of guys... I just talked to him and they fished the shallows off Bibik and nothing but are on there way to a tight big group off LC Tank with quads wink.gif He will call me later...

Robb ended up with 4 nice perch and a keeper walleye south of the island yesterday, lot's of fish on the screen that wouldn't go...

Talked to Tuzzy this morning and he's stroking it off Constantia in 14' with just one nice perch confused.gif

Johnny were angling for a trip out east with Tyler again, Franky is good to go for Saturday. Thunderman your welcome to go with us buddy. Sunday I can't fish forgot about Amanda's bowling banquet at 11 a.m. and ASA umpire training in the afternoon at 1 p.m.

I can tell ya the last place I want to see is Oneida until open water crazy.gif