• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing...

What's up with the below average fishing this year, I really haven't heard of anybody catching a mess of anything. I know there are the people who usually do good and keep it to them selfs but adventually the word gets out about a hot bite and there really hasn't been anything at all this year.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Contact Us Please) Frank 3 rods?? That's terrible but I do have another med/light pink spring St' Croix Legend that is a back-up, new in sleeve that would make a nice birthday present for you, a matter a fact it's yours buddy... Happy Birthday! grin.gif

I'll give it to you when I see you at 6 a.m.

Power auger is topped off and the cell phone charged let's hit it boys wink.gif I got a bad taste of Oneida last week and I'm ready to come home to C... Let the Freching begin wink.gif

Salmonseeker73 will have LC paved for you if you can make. See you in the morning boys it will be like old times out there and I left the vaseline on Oneida smirk.gifgrin.gif

Good luck guys on your fishing outing I hope you catch lots of fish. Franky I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and lots of luck fishing tomorrow.That really sucks about your bag with the fishing rods I know its hard adjusting to new equiptment good luck tomorrow. Todd

Well boys, the old HSOforum came through. Got a call from Timmie that he got a call from Donny that Donny's cousin Matt found a black rod bag on Oneida. Donny recognized the description and I have made a call into Matt to give him a description of the bag and rods and other things that are in the bag. Matt wasn't there but I left a voicemail. So, in honor of the occasion and maybe that Lady Luck will shine more upon us, we are going to the O tomorrow armed and dangerous for some hopefully cooperative walleyes and perch. Gotalimit will not be able to join us as he is making the trek to Sandy Pond . . .not a bad choice as I hear the ice is pretty good up there and the fish are cooperating. Well Timmie will be at the house at 6 to load up and after a quick Savon breakfast, we should be on the ice by 7ish for hopefully an early bite. Maybe that is the secret for now . . .get there early. Lee maybe we'll crack the code on why the fish are being extra finicky this year. Todd thanks for the thougts . . .but as a bass fisherman . . .I have a healthy (or unhealthy) reserve of rods and will be taking 5 out with me tomorrow. I was lucky to have had 4 in the bucket and not in the bag the other day, including the 2 St Croiz. Here's hoping for a good day . . .actually it will be . . .I won't be in the office grin.gif See yah at 6 Timmie! Salmonseeker . . .be there as planned and if you need a ride . . . holler! That goes for anyone else who ends up near Lewis Point.

FRANKY, its nice to know that we have some honest people in this world.Its amazing that matt just so happend to run across your bag of goodys that just blows my mind what are the chances of that happening shocked.gif. well happy birth day good luck guys hope you catch a nice meal of fish cool.gif.

Well that just depends how many times your snowmobile gets stuck in the slush and you have to keep standing in 6-8 inches of water!!! Yeah your right . . .better than the office! Close to a bust today but atleast I did catch 2 walleye . . only one was a keeper . . .barely. Timmi caught a white bass and that's it!! Lots of big marks but a lot giving the old salute. Appreciate all the well wishes and Tim for going out and getting some healthy exercise through the knee deep slush . . . in many places. I know he would have placed a report on here, but I know he is passed out from the long hike he took to Lewis Point so his fat ars wouldn't bog us down on the trip back to Marion Manor. Those are his words now . . . I then drove his fishwagon over to the point to pick him up . . . I know he is in the fetal position now. BTW, Matt called while on the ice and he said the bag is definitely mine after the description I gave. In repayment for his honesty I will be taking him to lunch when I pick up the bag, but he insists that I join the ONeida Lake association, which I will gladly do. I encourage all of you to think about joining to help preserve the great fishery we have at Oneida . . .well at least in the Fall . . .LOL

Fetal position??? Yeah right... I'm sore but not shaken smile.gif Ready to fish again tomorrow and the last place it will be is Oneida Lake till I get some better reports. wink.gif Save for the fall walleyes and a few scattered perch this lake has been beating me up good lately. But through all the pounding and slush there will be a silver lining.

Happy Birthday again Frank and I had a great time even if the walleyes didn't cooperate for me. Not like I didn't keep changing up and trying to find a color it just wasn't in the cards for me, could be retribution from the beating they took this fall. Well you know the saying, "Payback is a -----"

We fished from 8' to 22' off the point and must also mention we weren't the only sled that sunk, there was plenty of slush to go around for other riders grin.gif Anyhow here is the birthday boy with the two he caught the first one was 15" and second was a tad short..

It was a bit foggy the first pic, sorry Frank a little condensation from the ride along with the 6" cover to my Lazer Mag Power auger which we lost 50 yards back from our bog in 8" of water. When the slush pocket took hold it put the brakes on our momentum fast, the power auger stopped in the prone position with the blades glistening straight up in the air and the exhaust and motor, recoil and intake chock full of watery slush, no problem, couple of pulls and she was humming a healthy tune.

1000421ph2.jpg

1000422sb2.jpg

We'll we didnt take the beating Timmy and the BirthdayBoy did on Oneida today but we didnt fill pails either. Dad ended up with 14, I finished strong with 14, and Billy tallied 6. They were hogs to say the least...

Frankie - heres your b-day present from me and i'll do some gardening in your honor later....

dsc00627ot3.jpg

Lee - This year has been diff for sure. We have been fortunate and had some very good trips but overall not like normal. Maybe the late ice-up? Maybe last ice will be on fire?

Nice perch Lee, Tank and DC.....

I hit Silver today at first light, and I could have used Timmy's petroleum jelly. The bite was slow all day for the big ones, but not the dinks. They were on fire...the ice conditions varied---at the CC it was a good 9"+ of black ice, and as you move towards the middle, it was at least 6" of slush on top. The south end was 10"+ of black with almost no slush with easy walking.

Started out off the CC in 28 FOW and marked fish right away. Most were dinks but some were OK and were released. (I decided to only keep any 10" or more.) Caught two keepers out there at 11"+ and threw back around 25 to grow up next year.

We moved down to sight fish the south end around noon, and it was slow there, too. Caught enough chippers to make Lays happy, but the big ones were few and far between. The rock bass were more aggresive then the gills today. We fished 8 FOW in front of Silver Lake Marine. I did catch a couple of nice perch, though in the shallows.....

1005758ql9.jpg

At least you marked fish Big Johnny, I'd take your report in a heartbeat grin.gif Fished Oneida and it stunk worked from 8' out to 23' and the only fish I marked were at 23' managed just one keeper perch out of the 12 or so I marked. So yes the Oneida butt kicking continues for me. A little sunburned today and a little beaten up but hopefully as we move to late ice I can find more fish to catch or at least come up to my bait and sniff sniff and go back down.

I think Tank and Billy are out fishing today. Franky and I are going to fish local Saturday with North Shores party Saturday night. I'll have my good luck charm with me for Sunday and maybe she can put us on some fish smile.gif

TIM just wanted to get back to you riding was great in old Forge . Did a little fishing on 4th lake off eagle point just a bunch of smal perch . Went up to the dyke last night for a little night fishing there for only three hours marked a lot of fish but none on the hook tried a bunch of glow jigs no glow and a bunch of different plastis through all i had at them . any ideas let me know . will head back up saturday during the day ,tons of snow ,water one big mess

Tyler - If you cant get em to go on a small YBD (Your Bobbers Down), you and Bud may want to order some 2mm, 3mm and even 4mm wolframs, epoxy and handpainted jigs. There tungsten so you can go super small without giving up the weight as these jigs are heavier than lead. If you have thrown YBD's on 1 pd test or less and they won't bite go home... grin.gif If it's crappies try the Berkley Power Honeyworms they love em around here. We have North Shores party here Saturday night so I have to stay close but there's always next weekend.

Tank didn't fish today with the impending weather report this evening and Dark Cloud and him are heading to the cabin for the weekend.

Franky and I will be somewhere this weekend location yet to be determined.

Looks like it's back to Lake George on Sunday for some more insane perch action and lakers too!!!! The perch have been hitting great and it only takes about 2 or 3 hours to put down your 50 fish limit cool.gif Lakers have been off and on but the perch are always on at that place!!!! Might go for some "stoagies" Saturday afternoon or maybe just do the perch laker thing both days. I'll decide when I wake up tomorrow grin.gif Good luck this weekend everybody!!!!!!!

Took a walk with the dog off the south shore about 5 pm tonight.It it very sloppy out there i dont know how the north shore is but im assumeing its the same. there were a few people out there talked to 2 guys that had been out there for a few hrs only a couple perch and they were slobs. If you venture out there have your rubber boots on it pretty wet I dont know if I would take a machine out crazy.gif.

Another typical day on Oneida, 1 perch all day in front of town where we went last week with Tim. Going to try the gills on Sandy tommorrow, heard they were turning on there as well as BB some. My neighbor is geting limits of walleyes every night on the second bar in front of Claeveland docks, he doesn't leave till 4 and is done by 6. I guess he got 20 pike tonight, he and friend kept he 6 biggest, lots of 12-14 inchers I guess. I'm off, took a tumble today in a slush hole with the sled, lucky I didn't break my neck. Going to take tim's advice in hindsight and slow down a bit. smile.gif

TO Tim

Good Afternoon on Oneida, limit of sunfish and 7 crappies. It felt like late ice and hope it gets even better. Had to work for the fish and thank god for the Marcum VX-1.

[image]BB30307.jpg[/image]