• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing...

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter drove to Oneonta yesterday and as always reported the lake conditions . . .she said looked like 2 permanent shanties. Did not see anyone on the lake though. Said the snow was not as "bad" as it was in Rome. Waist deep would be a killer!!

Guys - I'm taking Amanda to sm. side of Morraine tomorrow for a couple hours in the morning if anybody want's to help me shovel snow there smile.gif Should be there by 8 a.m.. It will be fun sitting in the pro with her and getting her hooked up with her first gill. I wonder how the camera visibility would be under all that snow? I'll throw it in the trap just in case along with the shovel. I'll get some screen time with the VX-1 too.

Frank & Tim - If you think Oneida will be o.k. Monday I'm in if you need a partner.

Tim i think Im going to tackle the walk off south shore boat launch there was a guy out there with his dog fishing for quite some time today. He was out about 4 maybe 5 hundred yds if the walking is real bad i might come out and join you at moraine.maybe Ill see you in the morning how long are you going to be out there?

Dad, Meg, and I went up out neighbors small pond for a few hours this afternoon. Had a good time and caught some real nice fish. Probably caught 25 bass from 12-18 inches and a dozen gills 8-10 inchers. Heres a few picts....

dsc00623jb6.jpg

dsc00625yv2.jpg

dsc00624nk9.jpg

Dark cloud those are some beautiful fish glad to see you guys got out cool.gif.Is that a border collie good looking dog.I went out of edge water today on the big O im glad a friend of mine had a snowmobile i would have never went otherwise .The snow is about 2ft deep and the slush is about 6to7 inches about 10 inches of ice every thing should settle down nice for this coming week end.Time to get the power augers out.Fishing was very slow lost 1 eye at the hole dam jigging rap you know how that goes and a 9 inch perch marked quite a few sniffers.

Way to go guys! Nice looking gills there for the table and fighting those bucketmouths on light line is wicked fun.. Meg looks like she had a great time watching you guys pose with your catches. How was the snow there, doesn't look too bad...

Thunderman - Yep thats a Border Collie. They are an amazingly smart dog. Full of energy!!! She's command trained to a T, never needs to be on a leash, and goes everywhere with dad...

She loves trout fishing the streams....

dsc00311fy8.jpg

She loves walks in the woods....

dsc00025fk7.jpg

Deer...

dsc00094gs9.jpg

but her first passion is....

megporchhy9.jpg

Tennis balls!!!

Presidents Day ice fishing with Franky on Delta. As per Delta Lake we caught alot of small perch today but as far as fishing conditions they were about as perfect as you could get. Bright skies, no wind and the companionship of a friend... Here's some pics Franky and I caught a couple of nice slammer perch and Frankyand I each caughta sunfish which is really uncommon until today. No crappies and I lost a nice nothern that gave me a heck of a run on 2lb. test would have had a shot if it wasn't buried behind the teeth but that Tica Cetus did exactly what it's supposed do grin.gif

Conditions on the ice were very good on the beach side the walking was a whole lot better than the winter entrance. We didn't have far to walk and we needed to move we moved nicely on Frankies sled. The snow on the beach side was only a scant couple inches and very rarely did you break through walking also the ice was better it seemed on that side with 6" of good black ice and 8" of white ice. On the winter entrance side where we finished the day on there was more slush and the ice was probably 4-5" of black and 6" of white with frozen slush and a small layer maybe 1" between the slush that I punched down through a couple of times walking. The walking on the winter entrance was a little bit tougher. But a whole bunch better than the small side of Morraine frown.gif

Here's some pics..

Franky and the gear...

1000408od0.jpg

There are sunfish in Delta confused.gif

1000409jh6.jpg

Here's a couple of dandy perch we caught...

1000410wn5.jpg

Size 10 green glow rat finkee.. Had to tie something on after that pike took my Loner jig crazy.gif

1000411ek6.jpg

Good job guys nice day Huh glad to see you caught some fish I thought i smelled chicken wings. Franky is that cajun red line your using how do you like the red line was thinking about spoolin up one of my rods with it.Tim never made it out to moraine right when i got off the phone with you my dog went into a seizure so i stayed home hes doing ok now i plan on doing some night fishing this weekend for the elusive calicos grin.gif. Thunderman

yep Cajun red . . .been using it for a year now . . .that's last years stuff and holding pretty good . . .4 lb test. It is a little kinky but if I put a spoon on, it kinks out. Just the real light stuff it kinks up . . .but then you can just watch the line and as it straightens, set the hook. Sorry to hear about the dog . . .is she/he on meds? All you can do is be close when that happens . . .the first thing they do when they come around is look for you . . .makes you feel special. You smelled them too??

Todd - Sorry about the seizure with your dog, my lab was like that more so in the summer than winter. They were pretty violent when she was a pup and as she got older she like knew when one was coming on and would wedge her body between the wall and the couch. More sad news Tuzzy had to put his beagle down yesterday she was very old and her eye sight had been failing. Not a good weekend for dogs either in the Shanty.

Frank I have to give my beagle Phenobarbital twice a day for the past 10yrs he is 11 yrs now so its been kinda tough the past 10yrs. Hes a good dog and very smart when he wants to be when his nose is on the ground he can be very stubborn typical beagle. I love him to death i will miss him when he is gone. frown.gif

Tim, whats the plan for the week end are you fishing? This snow is packing down nice the temps are supposed to be below freezing at night should make for good walking.Im thinking about hitting the big O Donnie wants to fish crappies at night and perch it during the day.

Committed the mortal sin of ice fishing today.I left my marcum at home.I was lost to say the least.Fished a small lake in cortland county because the walk is not far.A foot of ice 10 to 18 inches of snow and slop.Tough walking!I ended up with 2 gills,1crappie and a perch.Buddy caught 2 gills and 3 perch.He said alot of the fish were suspended and alot of lookers.OOh boy a fine day not to have my Marcum.