• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing...

The temps are right for building the hard stuff too we just need the wind to blow some of the snow off and some lock down cold temps to firm it all up.

That's great you guys didn't get much snow there John with tonights over night lows you guys oughta be fishing real soon.

Gotta call from CNY Bruce he's in Texas for another week and he will be back and ready to fish!

Fishingking - How much did you guys get there 4"?

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tim... Man the wind is cranking out there, there will be some drifts by morning and hopefully some clearof snow lakes so that cold can penetrate.

Frank have fun at the game dinner and I'll call you at 0800 tomorrow...

How about you Big Johnny Ice what's going on out your way?

Lee - Yes I got invited to fish with insurance guy and Robb and my buddy Steve for crappies and bluegills, will report when I return. I will have about 500 spikes on me if anyone forgot. Will be giving those Maki Plastics another dunking. grin.gif Waiting for a call from ReelEmIn a buddy of mine down near Steve.

Quote:

How about you Big Johnny Ice what's going on out your way?

Timmy,

Not much going on out here....some of my buds are getting on Braddocks in the shallows for pike on tip-ups, and a few others are fishing Cranberry. I am waiting for Honeoye and Silver to get safe. Looks like I won't be able to get out until later in the week.

Good luck today!!

Oneida got a lot of snow Friday, by Saturday open water in front of Constantia and all the way to Cleveland. Today skim ice again and bitter cold, so we are making ice again. Went over to BB to check there, the ice and snow are still there, but still under 1" of ice. My buddy and I were on the way out, and the bay ranger stopped us from getting our feet wet. Cold weather ahead, so conditions have to improve, I'm kinda glad the wind got rid of the foot of snow on Oneida. I don't care very much for 6 inches of slush we would have had, and the lake will freeze faster now. I think i'll try BB again on tuesday or wednesday, there will be 3-4 inches by then i'm almost sure.

A message for those 2 guys in the beach fishing there, what are you fugdup??

Well i'm off, working on Sunday so I can fish on Tuesday.

TO Tim

Just got back from fishing with a great group of guys, Shawn, John, Rob, Steve, Mike and Rob's son Patrick. It wasn't a bang up day for fishing but the lunch was the finest I think I have ever had on the ice. John's wife made some excellent chili and that was a awesome preamble to Rob's venison brauts and grilled steak. High pressure was the culprit on the fishing I believe and confimed by ReelEmIn he ran into a situation south of us when he drilled 30 holes and didn't even mark a fish. Well we marked fish alot sardine sized perch and Steve caught a keeper crappie and a nice perch. I had a largemouth about 13" a 9" crappie a nice bluegill, but for the most part the gills when marked and I mean when marked you had a 10% chance of getting to take and that was only by downsizing. Anyways I had a great time with the boys and fished a new lake so I can't complain. The trip just for the boys lunch would have been worth it. Thanks to John and Rob for putting it together.

Here's insurance guy kneeling in front of an empty pot of homemade chili, mmmmm good...

10004001yv.jpg

Robb cooking some tasty treats..

10003986co.jpg

Fine dining...

10003994rs.jpg

The only gill I caught and a dandy, 9.5" released..

10004014sc.jpg

Great report, Timmy....

I just got done eating dinner, but the shot of the food made me want to have a snack later!

Sorry the fish weren't as hungry as you guys were.

It looks like guys are fishing safe ice on both Silver and Honeoye at the extreme south ends. I am gong to try and hit Silver Tuesday for a gill at sunrise/perch from 10-2/and gills till sunset routine. It all depends on whether I can get off of work. But my stuff is ready, the Marcum's battery is topped off, and my right hand is ready for some induced jigging motion. grin.gif

I'll give you a call tomorrow at work to catch up on things. blush.gif

Dad and I got on the ice for about 4 hours this afternoon. 3-4 inches of ice. Fish under us all the time and they were eating bigtime but most of em were a tad small. Probably caught 125 apiece but only kept a bakers dozen each. I had 3 crappies and 10 gills dad had 12 gills and one crappie. The crappies and gills were fun but running 7-8.5 on the crappies and 6-7 inches on the gills. A good first trip to get the cobwebs out. No secret bait of the day, a splitshot, a hook, and a booger would have worked. I got all mine on plain plastics....

Hey all, didn't get out yet but have a couple reports.

Sandy, by greene Point has fishable ice and the bite is on. Loads of gills getting caught there I hear. Just talked to the guy at woody's in pulaski, theres 5-6" of black ice.

Some fools went on BB last weekend/yesterday, 1 took a short swim. The ice was only 3/4 inch on Saturday, + theres a lot of snow and slush on top. I'm gonna wait till next weekend, just not that brave/dim I guess.

Oneida has no snow, and 2 days skim ice, maybe will be ready if we don't get a lot of snow and the weather stays cold for the week. Looking forward to hanging with the west end lake perch pirates this winter.

To Tim

Tim just wanted to let you know how we made out saturday there was 2.5 inches of good black ice . The lx-5 was awsome pulled 30 crappies out of the ice kept 25 all between 9-12 inches. good day of fishing but the wind blowing at 40 mph made it short day.will post so pics tomorrow .

Great fishing with you Timmy and nice to have you come out and join us. It was good to finally get out icefishing for the first time this season and cut some holes. I might try to go for walleyes one afternoon this week if I get time but most likely it will be this weekend. It's hard to believe it's already going to be the last weekend of January coming up and most lakes are just getting started with safe ice. This will certainly be one of the shortest icefishing seasons on record with maybe only 9 or 10 weekends left to fish before the end of March if we're lucky.

Dark Cloud - nice report great talking to you this morning.

Good luck Friday. Booger green is a good color wink.gif

ENY Tyler - Way to go buddy glad to see your first experience with the new LX-5 was a fruitful one. wink.gif Did you get a chance to use the VS 350 yet?

Hendo - It's here! wink.gif Talked to Missy she's taking care of it at work in the morning.

Big Johnny Ice - Hey buddy I don't think Tuesday is good but possibly Friday if that's do able. Trying to put something together with Maki for fishing Silver Friday. I called you but you must be busy.

Keep those ice reports coming boys cause like insurance guy said this could be a very short season. Let's start thinking about the weekend boys... grin.gif

ENY Tyler - Sorry I missed your call, got the message this morning. I'll try you later today.

USMC Steve - I'll call you later but if you read this. I only picked up the one big gill after you left. crazy.gif

salmonseeker73 and Hendo - The eagle has landed wink.gif come on down.

Frank and Tuzzy - Your spikes will be in this afternoon, couldn't bring em in this morning my hands were full wink.gif

Billy and I fished long pond today.4 inches of black ice everyware.Bite was slow Bill kept 3 perch and I kept 7 perch and 8 gills.I CANNOT BELIEVE THERE IS NOT A ICE REPORT FROM CANADARAGO.

Found this on the Black lake ice fishing forum.

whistler

Angler

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:46 pm Post subject: ice conditions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i seen someone out on the ice below edwarsville today, i imagine you can walk on by now, i will know more this weekend, Is anyone coming up ice fishing????

Tank 3-4 " of ice but it will definitely be ready for the weekend especially after Thursday night and Friday. I'll keep in touch... One report off the south end was terrible and the other report off Baker's was much better wink.gif

Fishingking - If your around C Friday can you give a conditions report best you can wouldn't mind a Saturday trip if you don't have plans yet..

Franky was even throwing out eyes off Edgewater so that would be another option but not my first.

Nothing concrete yet but alot of options should be available for the weekend grin.gif

I have to agree with Frank in regards to Tank... We definitely respect our elders here. wink.gif

Waiting for a call from Big Johnny Ice if Silver is a go Friday... Maybe I'll just sack out at Jimmy's parents and make a weekend out of it wink.gifgrin.gif

But seriously Tank make sure you have your cell phone with ya I should have reports from C regardless if I fish it or not friday, MV Joe is making the rounds and were still waiting on Fishingking come on Timmy wink.gif

Wow it looks like I might be able to get on to some of the more sheltered bays on Lake George this weekend and fill up the bucket with the best tasting perch in the state wink.gif We're going to have some difficult choices to make this weekend for fishing as in trying to decide between walleyes, perch, walleyes, perch or walleyes crazy.gif

Billy and I fished Dryden Lake this afternoon.4 to 5 inches of ice.lots of crappie and gills (about 125 apiece)not many keppers.We got enough between us for a fish dinner.17 gills and 3 crappie.

Quote:

Way to go Tank.May venture out on Oneida with CNY Frank tomorrow after work. A few guys off lewis pt today and a few off north bay.A bit of rough ice off the bay but one you get past that it is smooth sailing.
grin.gif

Good luck out there on Oneida northshore, hope there's some walleyes still left grin.gif! I can't wait for Saturday to come so I can get back on the ice again!