• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open Water 2006 Reports Part II

Definitely a fun night last night. That pile of eyes was amazing. As for the late night report for all of ya who went home at around midnight, you didnt miss to much. Me and cuz' headed out to Godfrey's after the wind took a hard shift. Pretty calm at the bar, a whole nother' world at Godfrey's. Lot of chop and the wind made casting impossible. Went from there to Cleveland where the only action was kickin up a few geese ( musta came in from Canada a couple days ago, the locals have been exterminated tongue.gif ) Then headed back to the bar where he got one more. Had quite a few bumps before callin it a night at around 3. Great night though, hope to do it again soon.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a gift from Mike "Loby" Lobenstein he also sent me a hat grin.giflaugh.gifsmile.gif he's such a funny guy. I figure it's a towel good for wiping off fish slime. Actually you guys picked it out picture before he did but he's busy prefishing the NAIFC and I wish him well.

Insurance guy - That's right you and Shmuck our the only guys I know that still have Vex as a primary. I let "Mike" the rogue kid have the towel when I left as he was still fishing... If Loby send's another towel and hat I'll hold it for you Insurance Man. Being independent I can wear what I want., anyway I could hung my Gander towel but I wanted Mike to see that his gift was appreciated.

Man it was fun Jeffrey I heard from North Shore the Rogue Kid banged a nice 24" too on the late run.

I have a friend coming up this weekend with an 18' Lund Alaskan and were probably fishing Saturday, I'll have details later this evening. The wife will love this confused.gif

Timmy according to Frank spot's were few and far between. Can you say stacked? There is no doubt John and Tim that there is no better shorefishing in North America than the shore fishing on Oneida in the fall. It's a heck of a walleye factory. Absolute pigs... If the surf's chopping the walleye are popping grin.gif

Actually Tim it was 5 casts . . .and one I had a bump and the other a wader crossed my line. Ontario was leaving the spot and held it for me while Lee hung around to talk since we have not seen each other in awhile. I was on the way over to get Don to take over the preacher's box when I called you. As fate would have it . . .they stopped biting and never came back for another 45 minutes. Wind shifted from west to northwest and apparently they did not like that. It has been awhile since Don has hooked any fish and he did well. Al and Wayne showed up with Al starting round 2 off. Don and I left at 9:30 when his wife called me to ask when Don was bringing home a pizza. LOL

Nice haul there Tim and I got a few spots I could open water fish too on the river but me heart just isn't into the long rods at the moment nor do I want to jinx the ice . Please tell your buddies down that way that when Manitoba sends cold air south that doesnt mean you should push it up into Ontario with warm air . My rigging in the Jimmy is getting dusty and that is a sin .

Anyways lad congrats on your harvest but get ready to duck if this warm dump continues as I'm gonna lose it soon . LOL

TD

Hang in there TD! Get in your shorts slip into your shanty, place the MarCum LX-5 in demo mode, fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3'ds full of water, tie on a jig and Loby/Maki plastic and practice with the new rod you got from Bobber Stop, and having a little refreshment and the radio playing doesn't hurt. Like I have never done that before, LOL grin.gif

Got the boat out tonight and did some trolling from 6 til 8:30. Very nice out, warm and calm. Did 3 nice eyes from 19" to 23" on my trusty floating Super Rogues pulled at around 1mph! Probably be back out doing the same tomorrow and Saturday night and then Sunday is Otsego for some big stinky hard fighting lakers and hopefully a bonus salmon, big walleye, brown or whitefish cool.gif

I got there about 7:30 after sampling wine and Saranac at a Griffiss Park get together. Don and the boys had left just before 6 . . .they had nothing to report. Somehow with 5 cars in the lot, an open parking spot was in the middle . . .same thing happened at the point as I followed a dark shadow out that had come from the other direction. There were 4 to the left and 5 to the right with one on the preacher's box. I had a 15 foot opening in the middle so snuggled in for some casting. The guy to my right landed a waldo using a white bomber and lost 2 others. He was only making about 20 ft casts as that was about as far as he could cast with his line slapping the rod because of line twist. On my 5th cast hooked a good one that took drag . . .was 24.5. Lost a couple of others and the really sad part was snagging something that kept my lure . . .yep Tim, the frenzy is gone. Shortly before that I discovered that the shadow figure was really Don and lucky for me he had another silver sided one that did not produce for him. It did for me and the fish had the lure all the way into its throat. As Don and the boys were pulling out of the parking area, I hooked my third and called it a night. All in all an hour and a half and I saw only one other fish landed at the point. Heard a couple off the other point. Jan was over there but don't know how he did there. I think because I was making longer casts is the reason I was able to produce. There was a noticeable difference in the splashing of the lures. Understand Jay, the gardner and Tank are heading this way tonight. Hopefully after a dental appointment I can meet you guys out there for a little while.

Thanks for the report Frank. John and Jay aren't 100% sure about the trip up tonight there discussing it this morning. I'll let you know either way. Good luck at the dentist today. Talked to Gunny (Steve) this morning and I didn't know that he fished with Slip Bob before, small world, will be in the water at daybreak Saturday, should be a blast in the Alaskan!

Hi all, new to forum today, hope to have some hard water pics up for you in the next few weeks. But as you all in cny know, mother nature is not cooperating at all. I do a lot of crappie/blugill fishing in the area, from Oneida Lake to Lake of The Isles. My friend and I are going to get in several northern tournaments this year, its all a dump shoot but what the hell. I live about 75 yards from a nice point on the north shore, and do the fall thing in my backyard for the most part. I do not have any pics , but I have perch and walleyes enough to last till spring.

Thinking cold, and dreaming of about 6 inches of ice here, hope to see you all on the lake soon.

The other Tim

Quote:

Thanks for the report Frank. John and Jay aren't 100% sure about the trip up tonight there discussing it this morning. I'll let you know either way. Good luck at the dentist today. Talked to Gunny (Steve) this morning and I didn't know that he fished with Slip Bob before, small world, will be in the water at daybreak Saturday, should be a blast in the Alaskan!

Hey that's great you're going fishing with Steve. I was thinking about his Alaskan when you said you were going fishing out of one and I didn't of course think it was him you were referring too. Steve's one of the best anglers I've ever had the pleasure to fish with. Good luck you guys.

Quote:

Hi all, new to forum today, hope to have some hard water pics up for you in the next few weeks. But as you all in cny know, mother nature is not cooperating at all. I do a lot of crappie/blugill fishing in the area, from Oneida Lake to Lake of The Isles. My friend and I are going to get in several northern tournaments this year, its all a
dump
shoot but what the hell. I live about 75 yards from a nice point on the north shore, and do the fall thing in my backyard for the most part. I do not have any pics , but I have perch and walleyes enough to last till spring.

Thinking cold, and dreaming of about 6 inches of ice here, hope to see you all on the lake soon.

The other Tim

Sounds great and welcome aboard, "other Tim" cool.gif

Welcome aboard Tim, North Shore eh? wonder if you know Fishin Phil Meagley he's right over by Apps also I fished with the guy that lives next door to Godfrey, nice fella. Anyway we fish alot of the Central/Southern Tier but I have had the pleasure of fishing northern lakes like LOI you mentioned, Six Towns and Muskellunge with Lee and Black lake with Hendo and North Shore. Haven't been north in a good long while and with the new van I'm game for anything. Fishingking and I don't have to hold our breath any longer when we turn the key grin.gif Look foward to your posts and a get together on the ice.

insurance guy - Steve's a solid dude can't wait to wet a line with him tomorrow. He's upgrading as well to the LX-5 so it's a two for one deal wink.gif

Talked to Frank at the bar he waded out while it was still light out and he picked up 6 plugs where the rocks were on the left mostly size 8 ghost minnow x-raps, Hmmmm. I'll have my cell with me.. I am off to North Shore's for an evening of debauchery, walleyes, swill, venison, alligator??? and maybe some goos breasts. I'm out of here and will check in when I get out of the boat tomorrow. You guys have great weekend hopefully whacking and stacking smile.gif

We'll we decided not to head up but stay closer to home with the rain and questionable wind. Took the boat down the river about 10am and picked up our limit of eyes and had about a dozen small ones also. A slow pick all day till the last hours, they were quite active....

Nice report Jay. Glad you got em...

Frank picked up two at the bar and got there early enough to find 6 stick baits wedged in the rocks and 5 of the 6 were #8 X-Rap ghost minnows. We had a blast at Greg's and I have to say alligator is alot like salty chicken. It was nice seeing Hendo it's been along time and we got a chance to catch up. Had to hold em back from opening the boxes of new LX-5's for Gunny grin.gif Mo and Missy were funny as heck all they talk about is group sox grin.gif Better keep an eye on her Campbell grin.gif Had a great time as always. Thanks for calling Greg to check up on me but I had some percolation on the ride home and headed straight for the can, must have been the hot peppers grin.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Well I have to admit the weather got bad there 4 a while, but after seeing that you all were hammering the walleyes my friend Stevie and I had to give it a whirl tonight. Needless to say we left at about 5 o'cklock this evening, walked in my backyard to the point, caught our limit in about 15 minutes. Just like you guys did, I kid you not, I had 3 fish in 3 casts. 1-19",1-20", and a big heifer that was 22 1/2". These fish were all females, and very hefty . I caught them on storm black/silver 4" little jobs with the rattles in them. Looks like we are not going to get any hard water soon, but if I can get a few fish till then so be it. If anyone in the area wants to get after these fish, im sure any point or similar spot would be great, like Godfreys, Sylvan Beach by the pier or even off the 81 bridge would be good for the next few days. These fish were all caught in 1-2 feet of water and 1 I got about 2 feet from shore. I assume he was hesitating and followed the minnow in to shore. Well at any rate, i'm off, my girlfriend was making christmas cookies all day, + I sampled quite a few. Then I topped it off with some fresh fish, so i'm heading to the couch for some R+R.

Oh and while I don't know that guy you were talking about that lives near appy's marina, I probably would if I walked by him in the store. My grandfather lived in Cleveland NY most of his life and had his boat there at the marina. He fished with appy and another guy called Shorty in front of Cleveland a lot. I remember night fishing with him and Shorty and catching more than our fair share. We caught walleyes with black/purple jigs with nightcrawlers on them, just sitting there bouncing them off the bottom. We used to do well on the sunken barge with big sunfish too, but now the barge is completely sunk in the mud so there is no structure there for them anymore. At any rate i'm off, will check this forum daily more than likely, and would love to fish with you guys this winter , that would be great.

Tight lines, the other Tim.

Nice report the other Tim wink.gif

Went out on Oneida with Team Marine Steve Greving in his Lund and had a decent day for fishing some serious wind and whitecaps. We boated 13 eyes with Steve's 22" being the biggest of the lot. We did better casting challengers late around the bar area which coincidentally Tuzzy cool.gifwas fishing in the preachers box and had a couple of keepers before the sun went down. It was nice to see Tuzzy cashing in. We took most of the fish during the day on BFishN 5" K Grubs in bleeding shiner and 3/16 oz. heads and Steve planer boarded a couple keeepers on an HJ 10 blue/chrome husky jerk. We picked up 4 fish working the rock pile and that's where Steve caught the 22". We finished up over by the bar and picked up 7 more before the wind completely died. On the way over from the rock pile yours truly slipped on the trolling motor foot cable and fell flat on my arse and snapped my favorite hot rod express rod, mad.gif classic move on my part as usual crazy.gif

Any how here's the pics and it was great finally meeting Steve...

1000331jm3.jpg

1000332fq9.jpg

1000334yp7.jpg

1000335ea1.jpg

Steve really liked the gold challenger junior...

1000330jb4.jpg

1000336kf8.jpg