• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open Water 2006 Reports Part II

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well boys I made it back safe and sound and Amanda's dance troup brought home the 1st place hardware. Not bad 3 hours one way and #:07 on the way back and the Venture ran well, went by the Susquehana and the hotel was darn close to the Delaware. Weather was brutal on our trip down and thank the lord I had aroof rack on the van cause something caught it flush that feel down off a tree. It was like a monsoon on the trip down. Talked to Bobby and Campbell since I've been back and North Shore is at the bar right now I bet. wink.gif Saturday night was a nice slaughter at Schneibles and Bobby banged a nice 26" and was done in 20 min's smile.gif

I couldn't believe the Browns comeback this afternoon down 14 in the second half, who knew? I know I didn't., but I'll take it. I'm gonna yank the seats back out of the van tomorrow and antcipation of early ice, plus spike order get's done tomorrow too. I hope everyone had a good weekend... As parents it was just wonderful to watch the girls kick it flawlessly naturally Rosa shed a tear and I was there full of pride watching Amanda, great weekend...

ah kids . . .a seesaw their entire life for parents!!! No fishing last night but I suspected . . . Today was an early (all day) go for the 4 legged beast . . .new place, lots of potential, new rubs and all, but grass up to your shoulders so somewhere out there bedded down are several wooley buggers just passing the time of day . . .still. Being a good boy tonight since I came home to a completely decorated house of Christmas stuff and music going and cookies coming out of the oven . . . but tomorrow . . .

Arrived at the bar around 415 checking out the traffic there. 4 guys leaving saying no fish here. grin.gifOne on flat rock and Mike right behind me to the corner. First cast. wham shocked.gif16 1/2. throw back. Managed to limit out by 630 with a couple throw backs and a few dropped fish.Had quite a few hits otherwise. The wind decided to kick it up a few notches and it got a little chilly. mad.gifLarry left as did Hendo and I. Mike was going to stick it out a bit. The water clarity was terrible so you had to put it in front of them for a hit. Still a fun evening and great conversation with all. Challengers do it again for me. Schniebels had a group on the shore/deck.

Timmy,

Glad you made it back safe and sound, bud. And congrats on Amanda-sounds like she made papa proud. Keep that van in good shape because we are going to need you to hit the hard water big time this year as usual.

North shore:

Looking forward to fishing with you also this winter. Glad that you got into them tonight--four of us went to one of the lakes around my parts tonight and no one got an eye. I was the only one to land a fish---a 14" smallmouth on the second cast while it was still light out. Not the ideal place for us tonight---wind was wrong, but we only have one or two options on this lake.

You CNY guys have it made out there---I wish I was closer to Oneida , becasue there is nothing like the quality fall walleye fishing there. Fat walleyes willing to bite. Amen.

John - If I had a decent job and could afford it I would buy all my friends places on Oneida for open water. Can you imagine how much trouble we would be in with the wives fishing if we were right on Oneida??

Well done North Shore keep feeding them those challengers! grin.gif

I'll get that spike count this a.m. to you.

If you guys are fishing tuesday I may be up on a pleasure trip. My new two-legged friend and I are taking a day trip/overnighter up that way. Gonna spend the night at Neils. We may not fish but depending on timming we'll stop by the bar to see who's around....

Dark Cloud - Hey man I can always throw an extra rod in the van so you don't look obvious grin.gif

Seriously Jay I have a good idea... We can meet at the "real bar"., (Franks right real good wings) and the gang and I can keep her company while you slam a quick limit and then will just wait for you to come back up the hill. She might as well meet the fishing bar flies now so she knows how harmless we truly are grin.gif Call me if it's doable...

I'll be sure to let her know you refer to her as your two legged friend . . .now a pitcher or two should keep Timmie and me quite tongue.gif Got to the bar around 8:15 and had it all to myself . . .and of course, there was a reason for that and it was not because it was cold. Went to Schnibs and 3 others fishing there with jigs . . .saw one guy pull in a small one. Went to the canal and finally found one that was cooperative on the first cast(silver frenzy). Should have realized that was an omen . . .always is on the first cast. Had enough after about 20 minutes and the line was starting to catch on the spool from freezing.

Timmy,

I missed the Lake X assault by one night....one of the guys from the crew hit it last night solo and did well in the two hours he could stand it. He had to clean off his quides on every cast. Lost 3 and landed 3. The big one in the middle was a 27", 8lb hog, the one above it was 24". I am going to hit it again sometime soon when the wind is right. Maybe I should bring my Trap Pro to keep warm LOL!!!

IMG_02621.jpg

Holy Smokes Johnny that's a pig! Now is the time on Oneida to drag those plastics slow on the bottom until the ice hits it's the same scenario every year. Rosa has PTO tonight and I have to run the pup to the vet tomorrow night for a pre-op check for her spaying in February. I gave North Shore the spike order and fired up the downstairs bait fridge. I have two more rods to take care of and then I'm loading the van up in anticipation for hard water. I never did go over to Glo-gas and get my last year empty propane bottles refilled so that's on the list to get done soon. Johnny good luck if you get out after them piggy eyes.

Dark Cloud, sounds like you have a new fishing friend? Congradulations. Sound like the boys are doing pretty good on the eyes. Boy I sure do miss it. I have been doing a little fish-in but not much catching yet. Really just getting the gear dusted off from the summer. Say hello to Dad for me. I'll keep watching this sight for updates.

Arrived at the bar about 0930 and found three on the point. Tried to get by the box but to no avail. Made a few casts from there and nothing. Headed around the marina to the corner and had one hit there, and dropped one fish. Headed to the VASSIL pt and caught one 20 there. The crew from the point headed out so I returned to the box and first cast WHAM. shocked.gifThey left some fish for me cause the didn't catch any.A 19.I decided to switch from the blk/slvr challenger to the #12 blue/slvr for a little more distance. It paid off on my so called last cast. A 24 1/2. grin.gifWell the last cast made me try a couple more and I caught 2 more 18 or so but I had my three.A great night out especially when you have the place all to yourself.The water clarity was terrible. frown.gif

Picture was taken with my camera phone>>>

att00008fe4.jpg

The boys and I hit Lake X last night for a few hours.....wasn't too bad as far as weather goes, but we had to clear our guides out after every other cast or so. We were there for about an hour with no fish, and MXFisher shows up, says hello, and on his first cast he gets this hog:

w2nc8.jpg

After that more fish were caught---I guess we just need to wait for MXFisher to show up before we should fish grin.gif

w4rz4.jpg

I got to the bar around 4:30 so I could see what the condition of the water was in the "daylight." Water is definitely murky. Ontario and Huey were there on opposite points but since the water was down, I went to my "old rock" that is finally out of water and started there. After watching Huey pull in a fish, I made my 3rd cast with the old reliable and hooked up on an 18 incher. Once the sun was fully down and the moon decided to peek out, caught 3 more and lost one. Gave the extra to Ontario as he had one of those "not even a bump" nights and I headed home at 5:30 for dinner at 6 after filling up with some cheap gas. My keepers were all 20 inches and one was a male. All were caught within the first couple of cranks once the lure was down and suspended. However, one fish hit when I had covered the productive water and was cranking as fast as I could to get the lure back for another cast. The lure was about 15 feet out from me when I hooked up. Called Tim to give him a report on the way home. Said he would pass the word. I tried also, but the gang said it was too cold . . . they are not ice fisherman. grin.gif

Frank,

Yeah, you guys got me hooked----I told the mrs that it is an extended open water season, and since I didn't get out hunting too much, I still have some tickets to get out! LOL!

The way the weather is around here, I might be hitting some smaller southern tier lakes for ice fishing soon, so I might not be back out that way till you guys get the hard stuff. Got an itch for some slab Perch...do you know a spot Franky? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Well done BJI, Frank and North Shore. Right after I talked to Frank I called the Vassil's and North Shore, I'll tell Bobby today too. Ah kitchen passes Johnny, they are so much sweeter when you cash in, eh... Franky on the Fireline and Northshore on the mono, what say you Big Johnny? Mono and X-Raps?

Fishin Phil good to see you checking in is Tom peaking in as well?

Hey that's my X-rap cool.gif I just got "another" load of stickbaits in yesterday from Bass Pro which included 4 new x-raps, some Bagley's Bang "O"s and some #13 and #18 floating raps and 3 new Falcon boxes to hold em all! My last day out was Sunday and we slaughtered the crappies again and got a few small walleyes. I really wanted to go fishing this week with the boat at night but I promised "she the one who must be obeyed" that I would finish sheetrocking our upstairs guest bedroom and put in a Pergo floor so no fishing for me. I'll be busy working on the house all day Saturday and then it's a party Sunday so no fishing until next week. crazy.gif I hope the ice holds off so I can still get the boat out at night for some more walleyes before the ice comes because the full moon phase is right now and the water temps are down to the low 40's which means the piggies are on the prowl filling up for winter and I can't go mad.gif.

OMG your right Slip Bob that is your X-rap! Just got off the phone with Big Johnny and the one he's holding in the picture is sweet 23". Franky maybe going down again tonight. The bridge report from last night was one limit, one and one from my buds down at the New Hartford Gander. It was nice meeting Seth the manager and always a pleasure to shoot the bull with Bobby. I think I found my calling eh Johnny... Dark Cloud you still in the hedges? grin.gif

Insurance Guy,

Those X-Raps are working great for us right now at Lake X as well as for you I see. Yeah, I guess that I have some of them. Here are the 21 that I take with me in one of my "boxes". Call me a freak, but I like to keep them in their original boxes nice n coozy so they don't get tangled up with the others. Then, I label the sides so I can quickly find and grap the color of choice. grin.gif Plus, I have an extra two of each color just in case I loose some in the years to come. Lets just say I got a good deal on hsolist.

1004921tl8.jpg