• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open Water 2006 Reports Part II

Finally back from Europe! Rome to Ciunnce Terre (spelling) to Vernazza to Bardeaux to Paris and home....long day yesterday but good to be back...its so nice to not hear traffic... cant beat woods n water country... hopin to do some fishin but looks like its been pretty dismal lately...

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back Jeff sounds like you had one heck of a trip. There's some east wind today and right now will take any wind at all to get these eyes moving. The guys 100 yards off shore in the boat were killing them last night from what I could see and hear.

Just got the call... The bar is smoking 23 eyes caught already between 3 guys! North Shore and CNY Frank are on the way, go get em boys! It must be because I talked to Tank this morning it seems whenever he calls me the evening bite is back in business... What gives Tank? Solunar tables?

They were just waiting on a wind me thinks... GIVE EM THE WHAT FOR MEN! grin.gif P.S. Save some for Big Johnny Ice he's getting over the flu...

grin.gifWell it did't take long to find 3 that would fit into the pail. The corner was empty and there were 3 on the pt.Wind from the NE and a little chop. Black and Silver challenger and Silver with a red belly was good also.Will be fishing tomorrow evening also. grin.gifgrin.gif

One was me on the point . . . small white/ghost husky jerk #8 . . . anything bigger was flipped off. Also Frenzy had them in a tizzy. They just needed some wind to crank them up. DEC has been checking so only keep a limit or don't say you weren't warned. See you there tonight!!

I hope that you guys are doing good tonight on Oneida....if it is the same south wind that we have here in Rochester, the North shore should be on fire. Especially since there hasn't been any substantial winds lately and the fact that a cold front in soon to cross our paths. I had Jury Duty today, what a waste----the trial got postponed, and I sat on my butt for 5 hours for nothing. I was looking forward to be on a trial as a juror for the first time, but I was let go only to wait another 6 years minimum to get a chance again.

Dark Cloud--that video you sent me was great---I am going to send it out to the guys I work with tomorrow. One of them is a retired Army Sargeant, so he might need a tissue.

Frank should be at the bar and North Shore and the Rogue Kid will be arriving there shortly. I cant post on your other site Johnny so if Hali-Man sends me a pm I can't respond as I'm blocked temporarily...

I hope I never get called for jury duty. I'm with you Johnny on that video Dark Cloud sent it gave me those good chills....

A slow night at the bar. The lake was as flat as a pancake. Fished for about a hr with the rogue kid and decided to pack it in. We need some wind we do. One guy had three but he had been there since 4 when I stopped by. He departed at 1000. Oh well. frown.giffrown.gif

Okay heres the report from Wednesday Night at the bar 5:30-8:15pm.

Caught a total of 9 walleye

1 @ 21"ish,

2 @ 15"-16"

6 @ 12"-15",

hooked and lost 2 fish

and missed 2 more hits.

Most everyone there caught at least one fish and it appeared that the one group of guys across the Marina opening from me were catching alot of shorts as well. A little wind from the South west (just enough to get a ripple going) Not as much bait in the Marina I did see one walleye in the marina ( by the launch) chasing bait.

I should be back Thursday night and hopefully the fishing will be alot better because it will be windier and raining.

heres the one I kept.

DSC01428.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

Very good Timmy a well much appreciated trip compared to the one before, eh? How did the shad dipping go?

There were limits, zero's, singles and twos caught from my reports, lots of smaller fish. There is a light south east wind blowing right now and overcast.

The dipping went well I brought my Umbrella net this time and got about 2- 2 1/2 gallons in about 30 mins I think ill be set now for the winter if we get some ice. The long range weather doesnt look the greatest with some day time highs in the high 30's to low 40's confused.gifmad.gif

Ill be back on Oneida today for another shot at some walleyes.

Way to go Tank and Dark Cloud! Good looking fish too... I can't tell but is that some hair you tied up on the end of your line there?

I just dropped a dime on some knackers today from LA, I'm a dead man, frown.gif I couldn't stop grin.gifblush.gifsmile.gif

Timmy - That jig is the ones I was showing you and Tuzzy this summer. The chenelle and crystal flash ones I tie for tipping with minnows.

No more ordering any fishing gear till after christmas!!! Rosa is gonna kick your a$# and I aint gonna be able to calm her down this time.

Hit the bar tonight about 945 and had some action right away.Managed to catch 7 fish with the largest @ 22 and down to 19. The rain was steady with a good wind from the west.Tried to step into the water to free a snag and found a nice deep hole and went nearly to my arse. grin.gifManaged to save the 1 day old cell phone. Fished for another hr or so until the rain started again.A couple others showed up and I decided to pack it in.The challenger red and silver was the hit.Heavy winds in the forcast for fri so I guess I'll stay home and dry out. grin.gif

North Shore was that you I said "Good Luck" too on my way out with 2 fish at 10pm smile.gif I fished from 6pm-10pm and only Landed 3 fish, Lost one and had 2 hits. 10pm was my limit tonight since Oneida is 75 mins from home.

anyways here are the 2 i kept 21 1/2" and 17" This was probably my last Oneida Shore fishing trip for the year.

The self timer never gives you enough time for a good shot smile.gif

DSC014382.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

Fishingking, we talked on your way out on Wednesday . . .you told me you had released a couple of 15-16 inchers but were trying to get a bigger one. I thought I recognized you "in the dark." Got to bed at 3 in the AM after "bar" hopping with Don, Joe, and Jan. Managed to get a limit of chicken wings and Labatts though. Oh yeah we fished too, but not really that great as the wind died down and you could hear the fish crashing bait and moving out to the main lake. Did not go Thursday night as an old high school buddy showed up over at Colgate with his daughter and had to tip some more with him. Hey those southern eyes sure look trim and fit from swimming in the river!!

Quote:

Fishingking, we talked on your way out on Wednesday . . .you told me you had released a couple of 15-16 inchers but were trying to get a bigger one.

I never Reconize anyone in the dark. smile.gif oh btw both those fish from last night were females.

FishingKing: That was me on the corner.Picked up a few there and then went to the point where I took my bath. blush.gifIt was a bit nasty there with the rain and wind but what the heck. I always take a swim during the winter months but maybe I got it over with already. grin.gif

Just had to . . .DOH!! Got there around maybe 6 and it seemed ok but you could just feel the wind picking up. Guy from the canal was there and had all suspending lures and countdowns . . .after losing a couple he decided to head back to the canal. I had everything to myself on my side (rock bench side)but there was another soul on the other point. Don't know his status as to fish. I could have yelled my head off and he would have never heard me. First cast felt like a bump . . .that was it as far as any control went. Wind just kept coming up harder and harder until the concrete bench I was using to shield me from the "little" waves started to go under water and the waves were crashing 8-10 feet into the air over it. I was about to leave for protected waters elswhere and 2 lights were coming my way. Al and Wayne tried a few casts and not being able to control or detect where their lures were, we headed to the canal also. Al tried to take a picture of the crashing waves but no luck. The wind was worse at the canal, but the bridge gave us a little protection. Current was tremendous coming from the lake and several limbs/stumps came roaring by. I managed to hook and land one walleye about 18 inches and then proceeded to lose the lure (perch frenzy) in a snag in the middle of somewhere. No other fish caught while we were there. Headed home around 7:30. Don't know about tonight. Probably a mini repeat of last night. Water was muddy everywhere, less so at the canal. Schnibes is probably coffee.

Frank,

I hear you about the wind--that hit us in Rochester around 4:30pm, so I thought of you guys fishing out there that it would be there in another hour or so. I can't imagine trying to cast in that. Just pray that those lures hit the water and

not come back and get you in the face.

I got out the other night for about 45 minutes at a location within 20 minutes from my house. Not the best conditions--calm and warm, but I did manage one at 22". Had the place to myself as always--not too many know that there are eyes in this place I go to.

I can't show the pic, because it wasn't taken in its natural environment. It was taken in my garage after I got back.