• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best rock and roll band of all TIME!!! vote for your fav!

Kodiak

Quote:

Hard to pick one. I'll agree with lawdog on Zepplin. I was just listening to Physical Graffiti the other day - pure masterpiece.

I tend to go for stuff that does not get as much airplay - Todd Rundgren and Utopia have done some great things.

Van Halen in their prime with Dave were great too. I love Fair Warning. Eddie was very angry on that record, and it resulted is some of his best work. That intro to Mean Street makes my hair stand on end every time.

Frank Marino and Mahogony Rush were great - very underrated.

Some of the mid career Replacement's records were good stuff. Paul Westerberg is a heck of a song writer.

The Clash's London Calling spends a lot of time in the CD player in my truck.

I also really like the first two Def Leppard albums, along with Pyromania. After that, it got a tad commercial.

As long as I am on British music, I was, and still am, a big fan of Iron Maiden.

I can't get enough of the Who either. They were able to sustain high quality stuff from the sixties into the mid 80's, despite the death of Keith Moon.

I agree with you on on the Who, not that I am saying that they are the greatest of all time but "Who's Next" is one of my favorite albums

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

AC/DC and no one else.

However, AC/DC is still my only choice out of several CD's owned. no ballads , no keyboards, just straight ahead 2 guitar rock for 30+ years. yes, people says it still sounds the same, and it does, but some of us like it that way.

They also have not peaked early and gone down since then (i.e. Van Halen, Guns & Roses and others).

You now have my music opinion for the day.

DD

Wouldn't "Ride On" be considered a ballad?

Quote:

Quote:

AC/DC and no one else.

However, AC/DC is still my only choice out of several CD's owned. no ballads , no keyboards, just straight ahead 2 guitar rock for 30+ years. yes, people says it still sounds the same, and it does, but some of us like it that way.

They also have not peaked early and gone down since then (i.e. Van Halen, Guns & Roses and others).

You now have my music opinion for the day.

DD

Wouldn't "Ride On" be considered a ballad?

You might have me a little bit on that one, but I still like that song. If it's a ballad, definitely what you call a power ballad.

DD

Ok. Pink Floyd. I like 1970's Elton John(not the new stuff). Stones, older Aerosmith, Bob Seagar(sp?), Sheryl Crow, Jackson Browne, Pat Benatar, KISS, Heart(not the 1980's stuff), Eric Clapton, Gordon Lightfoot, some classical, Lynyrd Skynyrd. I don't like country, rap, hip hop, or top 40. How is it that a no talent like Britany Spears actually makes records????

I didn't expect to see something like this on this on this site, but it's kind of cool. So here goes like others so far mention older Aerosmith, for me up to Rocks I really like Back in the Saddle Again. But to pick a alltime favorite is really hard to do. Also there are a lot of bands that had only a few good songs oh thats right thats why they are not all time favs. 1 good rock album I have not heard in a long time is Rock & Roll animal by Lou Reed. Also if nobody has heard B.O.C. "On Your Feet or on Your Knees" latley try Cities on Flame, or a remake of " I aint got you" by Jeff Beck and the Yardbirds, OK thats enough for now.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely

But without Elvis and The Beatles, we would have never heard of these bands

[/indent]

why does someone always bring this?? NOT TRUE

[/indent]

Read about the influences of Zepplin, Floyd and the Stones.

Ok, since they have been almost all listed and not too many missed I will add some just to tickle the ole memory banks out there. These all time listings are tough. It is like the -if you could only have one rapala. Yeh, right. The good thing, we are not limited to just one. You can have a black ford car, plus a whole lotta other colors and makes, etc. You get my point. I didn't see and some of my other favs would be. 1.Prism (give me a megawatt stereo baby) 2.April Wine (ooowhatanite) 3. The Godz (we are all some kinda junkie) 4.Molly Hatchet (PETA supporters but good southern rockers nonetheless) 5.Shooting Star (Ok, questionable "all time". But I like them. Favs. All Time, all the time. Later, WG.

Quote:

Molly Hatchet is a band of PETA supporters??? Dang, and I used to like them.

I had to check this out myself. According to their HSOforum the guitarist Bobby Ingram is the peta supporter and vegetarian.

The band Boston is into that crud also. Looks like I'll be changing the station when KQ plays Molly Hatchet or Boston. mad.gif

The GODZ ARE A ROCK AND ROLL MACHINE, MACHINE, machine, machine....

LOL! I forgot all about those guys. I saw them at the State Theater downtown Mpls a very long time ago...they warmed up for Angel. Man what a show! They drove harleys up on stage.

We're everything your parents ever warned you about.......

Has anybody mentioned Black Oak Arkansas? Talk about a drum solo! We got back stage passes for a show Jim Dandy and crew did in Hudson, WI one night years ago also......ouch!

Alright I have been through 6 pages and couldn't wait to post!!! I am 24 years old and cannot stop spinning vinyls!! I have about 600 records in my garage and listen to different stuff all the time. Some of the most played in my garage would have to be...Jethro Tull, The Band, Steely Dan, Led Zepplin, Little Feat, Bob Seger, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, The Guess Who, Dr. Hook, Van Morrison, Ted Nugent, REO Speedwagon, Pink Floyd, Stephen Stills, George Thurgood, The Marshall Tucker Band, The Eagles, Foghat, Edgar Winter, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Tom Petty, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Manassas, Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield, Neil Diamond, Gordon Lightfoot, The Byrds, The Hollies, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, The Outlaws, Chicago, The James Gang, Joe Cocker, Firefall, The Doobie Brothers, The J. Geils Band, Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Traffic, Van Morrison, Jackson Browne, Dire Straits, Simon and Garfunkel, Grand Funk Railroad, Bachman-Turner-Overdrive, The Yardbirds, Derek and the Dominoes, Cream, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, Steelers Wheel, Steppenwolf, ZZ Top, The Steve Miller Band, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra, Free, Bob Marley, POCO, Starbuck, Sergio Mendez!!! There are so many more. How about the Amazing Rythym Aces!!! Found this one by accident and absolutely love those guys!!! I will keep thinking of more. My post is a bit off of the subject but I just cannot put my finger on the best band. There were so many and so many to fill different moods etc. I would die without music. It has always been that way for me and always will be!!! Anyone want to dump some old vinyls to free up some space let me know!!!! My Garage would be a fantastic home for them!!!!!!!!

Quote:

anybody dedicated (or bored) enough to tally these up???

Here we go

Zep 15 votes

Rush 11

Tool 10

ACDC 8

metalica 7

Floyd 7

Kiss 6

Van Halen 6

Stones 5

GNR 5

Aerosmith 4

Crue 4

Alice in Chains 4

Beatles 3

Maiden 3

Skynnrd 3

Yes 2

Eagles 2

Sabbath 2

Queen 2

Dead 2

NIN 2

Doors 2

Boston 2

Hendrix 2

SOD 2

Slipknot 2

Poison 2

PJam 2

BDylan 2

Pantera 2

I omitted the other bands who were only mentioned once.

Wow! Tool is 3rd.confused.gif What is that about? Not to diss anyone, but that ain't music.

Zep - No questions here I would guess they are the all-time #1 band and will never be challenged. Those guys could do things that NOONE will ever be able to replicate and they will live though their music for a thousand years.

The Who - suprised noone has said much about these guys

Stones - Another classic band with a sound that cannot be copied.

Lyn Skin - Best southern Rock band of all-time.

Jethro Tull - Unique Sound and not a whole lot of fans left out there, but IMO they are great.

Yeah, Firefall....I don't know what it is but that Colorado based band from the late 70's I thought had a pretty cool sound. A little flute tossed in and away they go. They had some good tunes though!!!

Quote:

How could I forget one of my favorites from my college yrs?

Kansas' "Masque" and "Leftoverture" are easy for me to listen to anytime. In fact, they're gonna play right now in my office at work. And in the Easy Listening category, anybody want to add to Air Supply or Little River Band?

Unfortunately, these bands do not have anyone who plays one of the most important of all musical instruments

- the Triangle, second ONLY to the Cowbell.

Little River Band is a great one!!!

Had to jump in with my 2 pennies - I may be older than most if not all of you going all the way back to 8-tracks (with 45's a close second) as the only way to listen to music but I seem to recall a line from Rolling Stone in the early 70's by Dave Marsh which went something like this, " I have seen the future of Rock and Roll and his name is.....Bruce Springsteen cool.gif (and the E Street Band of course).

Still rockin' almost 40 years later.....

Daze Off

American band- Guns N' Roses. British and best band of all time. PERIOD- The Beatles. PS- never knew RUSH had so many groupies out there. Sorry, not a fan. Best drummer of all time was John Bonham, listen to Moby Dick off Zep II. Runner up would be Robert Sweet from Stryper, followed by Tommy Lee from Motley.