• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Posted Signs

Bryce

Any contacts on quality signs? Sick of paying taxes on land that I don't bowhunt until after all the water is froze. Locals know the land isn't being watched and hack all over it. Heard on an outdoors show that "leased for hunting" may be the best sign.

You get cheapies and have them laminated to be weather proof, but they will still be pretty lightweight. Lookat Fleet Farm or another store like that. They sell quality signs made of plastic or heavier card stock.

I buy the cheapest signs money can buy.We put up approx 40-50 signs a year.This is a friends land in North Dakota with no one around in the fall except for when we are there hunting.They pull down about 30% of the signs every year.I guess they feel if they tear the sign down then it is legal to hunt. confused.gif

When I was in my teens, I worked for a guy that had a lot of land. He used to give us rainy day projects. One of those was to take his No Trespassing signs, and glue them to a backer board. We would then give them several coats of clear polyurathane. They held up very well.

If you are trespassing then you should be arrested and loose your hunting rights for say three years.That would give them some time to think about it.You should not have to put signs up,they all should ask.A big reason landowners get upset and say no to everyone.As always a few ruin it for all.

I would consider letting in a local youngster but even doing that would turn it in to public land. I went to school with a couple guys in the neighborhood that I know are sneaking on. When I catch them, I won't even blink to prosecute to the fullest. They're just lucky that it wasn't 10-15 years ago when I would have taken justice into my own hands.

One suggestion that I would have is to bring an extension ladder with you when putting up you signs. (I know this is a pain) If you get them up higher in the trees they seem to stay in place longer as they are more difficult to remove.

The leasing signs also help. If they think someone other than the owner might be watching they tend to be a little less willing to take a chance.

The old homemade "SURVIVORS WILL BE PROSECUTED" sign is also one of my favorites..

We buy bright yellow rigid plastic ones from Fleet Farm. I think you can get two or three for a dollar if I remember correctly. They nail nicely to a telephone pole or tree.

I have a friend with CRP land and people are constantly tearing down his posted signs because - according to the regs - they can hunt there if its unposted. I would be soooo frustrated.

Probably because they are afraid the landowner would say no in some instances. Which, in that case, why are you hunting there when you know the landowner doesn't want you to? Ugggghhh!

I have asked for permission to hunt different farms before - mostly owned by relatives - and received it. I have also been turned down - by relatives as well who were very cordial and pretty much said they had nothing against hunting but that they liked watching the deer. I didn't get all teed off and sneak in there when they weren't there. I respected their right to their land and what was on it. Plenty of deer to go around if you do your homework and knock on doors.

I had a situation where for several years in a row I wasn't home for the opening of deer hunting/slug hunting and my wife would report that a red coat was sitting in one of my stands. I didn't want her to confront someone with a gun so what I did was put a 'No trepassing' sign and another handwritten laminated note stating that if you don't have permission to hunt out of this stand, YOU ARE TRESSPASSING and would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That solved my problem but just the sheer audacity of someone sitting in one of my stands without permission got to me.

Make a sign that is very big. Piece of plywood and hand paint- No hunting or tresspassing - Then something like... If you see a tresspasser please call the police-all are prosecuted - reward.

Put it high up with a ladder.

Hey BlackJack. I had a similar thing happen one year so I actually put a No Trespassing sign at the base of the tree and strap my orange seat cover to the tree above the treestand so they might think someone is actually there from far away. In fact, my neighors commented about how I was out from dusk til dawn during firearms season and how dedicated I must be but I was inside snoozing for most of it. : )

We have put in the store bought no trespassing signs every 50' on every public road adjacent to the property, but those are junk. We've always maintained them and have rewritten the "owner" info with perm marker twice a year, but yet people still find a way to "wander" past them with always the same excuse. "Oh! This is private land? Didn't see a sign."

The worst was on opening day. I left my stand and went back to the shack for lunch. I come back at 1pm and some dude is sitting in my stand. He gave me the old line "I had no idea, yada yada". I retorted, "Do you think god built that $800 stand with a shingled roof?" If he did, then why did he also put up a "no trespassing" sign on a stake at the trail you used to get here?

Very true harvey lee

Two years ago deer hunting I had 6 guys walk through my land about 50 yards from my tree stand that I was in with out even a second thought, after asking them what in the heck they were doing they said they were walking through my land because they own land on the other side and it was quicker to walk through this way and that it was legal because there road was muddy.

They also added that they did not intend to shoot any deer on my land or to disturb it at all............since when does walking through the woods at 8 in the morning talking not disturb anything.

I can't believe some people I would never dream of tresspassing.

To retrieve game that has been wounded like in the case of a pheasant that falls in a corn feild adjacent to public land would be the only time that it is morally right to enter someone elses land with out permission and then only with out your firearm.

To answer the question we've had ok luck using the yellow plactic signs that say POSTED on them, by luck I mean that they stay on the tree, not that people listen to them mad.gif

Quote:

Two years ago deer hunting I had 6 guys walk through my land about 50 yards from my tree stand that I was in with out even a second thought, after asking them what in the heck they were doing they said they were walking through my land because they own land on the other side and it was quicker to walk through this way and that it was legal because there road was muddy.

That takes balls!! "because their road was muddy" ??!!!

You need to stop people like that and tell them where they are wrong, but after what happened in Wisconsin a few years back, it makes you think twice....

Agreed BlackJack. It's not worth losing your life over. I see all the time on hunting boards guys saying you need to set these guys straight and some encouraging you to get in their face. But (A) Do you think that's really going to change their behavior and (B) Do you know if this guy's a lunatic with no regard for human life? I'd rather get law enforcement involved if it can't be resolved in a friendly manner. No show of bravado is worth my life. I couldn't hunt anymore if I was dead! grin.gif

I think that Chuckie is right on.

Anyone remember that creep from Cheese Head land that shot all of those hunters?

Yeah I love this land, but sometimes we let NUTS have guns and pour in some BOOZE and we have troubles.

Not good.

Always remember to live another day and have the Sheriff's cell number on speed dial. wink.gif