• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dennis I agree the ice is looking good I highly recomend that the people stay on the trail and once they reach the area they put ample space between their vehicles when parking. As far as the catting I ran to a couple of the river holes over the weekend and can I say they were tricky!! The cats have been finiky lately I managed to get some to go but serious downsizeing was a must. I did manage to get a few on cut bait below a Ice buster bobber but the best set-up was a panfish rig. I was useing a thornebros 28" sweetheart 2 lb test and small ice jigs gobbed with waxworms. The fish seemed super sensitive they were stacked but wanted a small presentation. Just a thought for anyone comeing to cool-cats don't rule out bringing some finese gear for these cats. I know it seems impossible but with a good real with a quality drag and a good rod these fish with patience can be iced when the going gets tough. Hopefully they are a little more agressive Sat. Hope to see everyone on Sat!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I will not be able to make it to cool cats this year. The only Saturday that I have to work...bummer.

The cat bite has been strange this year, but it's picked up the last couple of weeks even around the meth hole. The active feeding window varies daily, although an afternoon bite has been more consistent than a morning bite. Ice conditions vary depending on location, but it's basically doubled in the last couple of weeks. Many people were driving out to the meth hole area last Saturday. On Friday I did find an area on the chain with just 5 inches of ice, so don't stray if you don't know the area. Matt, Cory- you know this location.

Depending on where you park the walk can be real long. There is on spot that is closer but very few places to park. I drove out there on Saturday and stayed on the road until I got right to the area. Stay on the ice road and please stay slow. Seen many driving at high speeds on Saturday especially after dark and near the Hole. Right now it appears as the hole is slightly iced over but if like last year we will mark it somehow.

I'm in on this for sure. I secured a 4 -wheeler for the day rather than driving the truck out. I assume it's safe enough to drive out from the DNR access then? I'm a little nervous as to where the 'hole is since I plan on being there around 8:00.

Brian

Good to see you guys are coming!

You should be good to take a wheeler or sled out of the DNR access. Just don't take a car or truck out of there.

I'll be up by 7:00 am and have a traffic cone marking the Meth Hole.

Remember that curiosity killed the cat! wink.gif

Sounds exciting, I have the weekend off and would like to make it out. I'll assume there will be a small crowd of people to make it an easy find. I have never fished cats thru the ice, what pound test do i need on my lines? Any certain tackle needed. Will try to make it out with the g/f and maybe some other buddies.

SomthinFish...Yep, there should be a crowd.. The lake is quite large so make sure you look at the map to see where we will be.

Line size.. I just use my normal walleye type gear.. I have a few rods rigged with 6 lb mono and a few with 10 lb braid... As far as lures go, normal walleye/crappie gear. I have done best on the 1/16 and 1/8th oz Go Devil spoons tipped with a fat head minnow head. Worms or cut bait works well too... Look forward to meeting many FM members.

Hey Dennis,

Will I be able to drive my 1/2 ton out near the Meth hole? I know the area where the hole is as I was up there last year.

But will I be able to drive near the event location & walk out from near the shore line? So my truck isn't across the lake for the little guy thats with me.

Thanks,

Chris

I drove out on sunday with my 3/4 ton extended cab full box Chev. I also saw a Texas Cadillac (1ton duely) on the ice as well.

Just make sure you access at the winter access located on the map below.

From I 94 near St Cloud take hwy 23 west to Richmond.Then go south on hwy 22.

Use the winter access noted on the map if you will be driving on.(2nd access south of 23)

Snowmobles and ATV can use the DNR access.(first access heading south from 23)

Cool_Cats_map.gif

I only use 4 and 6lb mono. Mostly 6lb though. As for lures I use a variety of jigging spoons, main key is glow red. I have even used tear drops. But I do stress glow red is the key. As for driving out I actually watched a guy drive a truck in the area of the hole after dark of course he was also going over 30mph. And for those who have never been up there before, each year this has grown, 5 years ago there were 5 or 6 of us and last year I thought we were nearing 100 but maybe it was less. Very easy to spot as many have there trucks w/ decals on them.

Sounds like there's gonna be quite a crowd out there. Maybe this year we can all chip in a couple bucks and someone can rent a porta-potty. No one else mentioned this, so I thought I would.

Thats an excellent idea, my g/f said how am I supposed to pee with that many people around.

Quote:

Sounds like there's gonna be quite a crowd out there. Maybe this year we can all chip in a couple bucks and someone can rent a porta-potty. No one else mentioned this, so I thought I would.

Good luck boyz.

I wish I could go. Headed to LOW this weekend.

Funny how I have to miss the FM LOW event the weekend after that too. Schedules are quite mottled. Cripes.

I was on the chain last weekend. Graphed TONS of fish. Dropped the camera and verified they were cats piled up. I do not want to admit this, but we didnt catch a single fish, and it really chaps me that I cant go up this weekend to redeem myself. Yes, we tried cutbait, minnow heads, and even stink bait. Not a single cat. Oh, we got a walleye in 38 ft on a dead stick with cut bait. confused.gif

I have several questions.

Is the DNR access a no motorized vehicle access? Is that why you keep saying to use the winter access point?

So accessing from the winter access point. Are there roads plowed? and if not what is the status of snow on the ice?

(It will help determine 2 wheel or 4 wheel vehicle to bring) I have a full sized conversion and I could do some shuttling if ok for a 2 wheel vehicle.)

Porta Pottie status? (just curious that will help determine who will come with me.)

Never fished for cats in the winter so suggestions on bait not so much on lures.

Is there a local bait shop close in the area??

Reason for not using the DNR access is that it is in the River Channel. Earlier this year someone dropped a full size truck through in that area. Roads are well traveled (can't say if they are plowed or not. I currently drive a Pontiac Transport and have never had a problem getting around out there. As for bait: fat heads, cut bait(suckers) liver. Bait stores depending on which way you come from there are bait stores in Eden Valley (Hwy 55), Cold Spring and Richmond (Hwy 23) In Cold Spring both gas stations have bait(SA and the one across the street) and in Richmond there is Richmond Marine and the gas station across the road. Also for lures Glow red is the typical color choice. 1/4 oz or smaller.