• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Report your Archery kill -2005

biglakebass-It may have been that they scented you,but i wonder how long your blind was out in the woods before you hunted in it.I always try to put my blind up at least 1 week before i hunt out of it because usually the deer are very leary of it the first few times they see it.Its kind of like changing the chairs in one of your rooms,the deer know when something is different in there room.I hunt on all private land so leaving my blind out is not a problem as far as theft,verses public property.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya.

I don't have the luxury of leaving it out and monitoring it though. Its on private property, but within view of a road. I wouldn't consider leaving it for a week or two.

Keeping in mind though, 2 deer spooked from behind the hay bale pile. No way possible of seeing the blind.

Da stink got the best of me on Saturday. crazy.gif

It really got me thinking about how many smells a fabric hut could contain.

BLB- What kind of blind do you use?

When I go out I bring a 24 0z bottle of Wildlife Research Scent Killer, hose it down, and put on some cover scent.

Did You not take care of you and your son's scent?

Here is my report: Fun, but Depressing.

Saturday night we didn't see a deer until a quarter to 6. We saw fifteen or twenty different does and fawns, two bucks, Buckzilla is the name for the one, g2's are probably 14 inches tall, they are huge. Passed on the does in range, breaking our promise to whack the first doe we saw, but with him there it was hard to want to shoot a doe. By the way, he came out like he usually does and worked the center of the field all the way down to the pond, by the time he got there it was too dark though.

Lots of turkeys and pheasants, we were de-scenting after the evening and had a doe and two fawns come to about fifty yards away from the truck. Pulled out and they ran between us and the house.

Sunday morning found me in stand by 5 am, buddy mike in the Matrix at the same time, they were already out in the fields, spooked one getting out to my stand. As the light was coming through the trees I seen something that wasn't right on the bow, realized my peep cut through the string, so a brand new Vapor Trail VTX was junk, oh well. Drove to Cabelas, nothing, by the way the guy there was the most unintelligent waste of time, GanderMountain in Lakeville, nothing, B and B in Fairibault nothing, drove up to Sportsman's and put on a Winner's Choice (ugh) to get me through the evening, called Jared with VT on the way back, it will be done Monday (SWEET) hauled my butt back down there, passed Rich4walleyes on the way, get down there at 2:30 to see buckzilla bedded down in the middle of the field, wind being right I snuck around the corn field to get to my stand so they wouldn't wind or see me. 75 yards out. Turkeys were all around us.

Climb up and sit down, without even being looked at and this guy comes down to the fenceline, at 5:30 pm he starts to make shooting lanes. 5:45 he comes back out, 80 yards from my buddy in his blind, has a smoke, totally scents the whole field the deer sneak out between us, he goes back to the car, grabs a stand walks the half mile back out, hangs the stand, walks back to his car, puts on camo and grabs his bow at 7 pm in the evening and totally blows our evening hunt.

Here is the Kicker, he was 387 yards away according to the range finder, not only was he outlined by the tree, you could see his WHITE SOCKS, TENNIS SHOES AND HIS UNDERSHIRT. Get real guy, you just blew our evening hunt and he wants to discuss what "OUR" next game plan, get bent pal. We left a little [PoorWordUsage]ed off needless to say. After having the wind switch to our favor, covering our outs with scents, and re-adjusting stands to accomodate the night before and this guy comes out and screws it up, really really depressing needless to say.

Hunted Saturday and Sunday evenings. Saturday I seen 2 does but nothing in range. Sunday I switched spots and tried my Brother in law's place. The deer were moving to say the least. I had a doe under my tree in under 10 minutes. Could not get a shot at her, but it didn't take long for some others to come in. Ended up having 4 deer come to my tree at the same time...1 doe with fawn, forkhorn, and a 1 1/2 yr doe. I really wanted the yearling, but after drawing my bow and waiting about 30 seconds, I ended up shooting the older doe. 8 yard shot and she ran about 50 yards and piled up. Should be a good eating...I can hardly wait. Time to hunt for racks grin.gif

Congrats Biglakebass, and everyone else, on the deer!!

Was out Sat morning and Sun night, Sat morning I watched a doe and small buck bed down about 60 yards away, after watching for an hour, and getting ready to go, decided to rattle with my rattle bag to see how the buck would react. The minute I started rattling, they both jumped up ran straight away! Funny!

Last night the mosquitoes were about as bad as I've ever seen... Almost glad I didn't have to track and gut a deer out!!

Brandon and I did a slight dousing with that scent shield in a bottle.

But I surely didnt douse the whole blind. That would take a gallon alone.... grin.gif

But I might be doing that going forward.

I have the Double Bull BS5. The Matrix is one I would rather have now..... smirk.gif

It sure was cool watching that deer walk right up to me Sunday morning, and being able to draw the bow while being able to see his eyelashes... cool.gif

He never had a clue.

I was thinking that just this morning on the way to work.

I remember reading the post, but not being too concerned about needing larger quantities...

I am gonna mix up a batch, I am. smile.gif

I am just guessing that the blind could be an issue. But it is something to think about. Thats a lot of fabric to absorb odors. No question.

Out in the stand Saturday morning and Sunday evening.

Saturday morning...all I saw was a couple squirrels that were checking me out a foot away...they knew something wasn't quite right but couldn't figure me out.

Sunday evening...once the farm machinery quieted down the deer started moving. I took an average to small size doe which filled my bonus tag.

Now, I have the pleasure to hold out for a buck.

Good job to everyone who got deer and good luck to everyone the rest of the season!

Passed on a decent 8 pointer Saturday morning, 8-9 yards, probably a 2 1/2 year-old, fairly high rack, width was about halfway out his ears. He had no clue. I also passed on a fawn in the same spot. My cousin shot about 100 pound dry doe the same morning.

Didn't see anything Saturday night, well two raccoons.

Last night shot a small yearling doe at 6:40 at 35 yards. She was quartering away feeding. The arrow went in the rib cage & exited through the off shoulder blade. She went about 100 yards. This is the wierd part, she had two decent sized fawns with her & they were very obviously hers. When we gutted her out you could see every rib on her. I think I did her a favor, they were draining her & were definitely big enough to survive on their own. Dressed out she only weighed 70 pounds.

We ended up going youth waterfowl hunting in the lightning which had moved south and east of us by shooting time. My twin sons(14 years old) got there 8 ducks down by 9:15am and it was back to camp. Did a few chores and then off to the bow stands. I dropped off one son who had a stand about 200 yards from me and proceeded to my stand. After about 45 minutes having seen 2 does at 50 plus yards I hear my son come running down the trail "Dad, I hit a 6 point" we tracked it about 100 yards across a bean feild and there he was. perfect lung shot. His first deer with a bow. The other son manage to get a shot at a doe and claims she ducked the arrow. Next time I told him.

Went out saturday morning saw 2 does & 2 bucks, got a shot at a six pointer, but misjudged the distance and blew it. Sunday same stand at about 7:30 am doe comes in from my left at about 25 yards, the shot was a complete pass thru and the doe crumpled up 50 yards later. Doe was about 110 lbs.

I will try and post the pics tomorrow morning. Thanks and I'll give him the high 5's, his hand is kinda getting sore from all the ones I gave him. I was/am very proud. He spent a lot of time practicing and it paid off.

Last night at 6:00, I was daydreaming in my stand when this fella surprised me about 30 yards from my stand. He continued strolling down the trail headed toward me. I had just sat down a few minutes earlier to rest for a bit, so I had to slowly rise and put my release on the string. He was busy eating leaves from a bush. I drew back and he walked right into my lane. I released the string and immedialtely knew I hit him in a good spot. He ran about 15 yards straight away from me, then stopped. He walked about another 5 and fell over.

I was waiting for a few minutes up in the tree when a doe and two yearlings approached. I called the doe in and drew back on her, but I felt like a pig taking two deer in 10 minutes. My brother-in law was hunting about 100 yards away from me, so I let her keep walking. I was thinking I should let her go so he might get a chance at her. She came to about 10 feet from my tree. Let me tell you, that made it even more tempting. Finally, she looked up at me, paused, and ran off. I was thinking it would be a really neat story to tell if I took her, too. But, it's a long season and I will probably get another shot at her later.

My brother-in law was on the ground and he was slowly sneaking my way to help with the field-dressing. He got within about 40 yards of the yearlings before they split.

My deer (pictured below) was a 5-pointer. I know it's not anything to freak out about, but it's my first buck (third deer overall). Now maybe I can be a little more selective with bucks. Hopefully I'll get to see some more while party-hunting.

Good luck everyone!

http://webpages.charter.net/domwareham/Dom's%20buck%20for%20internet.JPG

I also get to chalk up a miss. frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

8 pointer 21 yards. He busted me on the draw but only jumped back into the next clearing to get a better look at me. Now 24 yards, I put the pin on his vitals and let the arrow fly. Missed over his back by a good 2 feet. In replaying the incident in my head I believe I failed to anchor my string to my cheek or even use the peep sight. Probably held the stirng low which is why it flew high over his back. I do feel somewhat better that I completely missed him and didn't wound him. I'm really bummed. That would have been my first bow kill. I'll be back in the woods in two weeks armed with a little more experience. Hopefully I'll get another shot at a deer. I still can't belive I didn't execute the shot. frown.gif

My congrats to all the young and old hunters who were able to chalk up a nice kill. Keep the stories comiing.