• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whisker Biscuit?

Knute78

I really want to get away from the double prong type rest, I am simply looking for a change and looking for an upgrade recommendation. I want to see if I can shoot just a little faster with a different rest w/o changing arrows,( I am really partial to 100 grain fixed blade broadheads).

I shoot carbon arrows with helical freather fletchings, is a drop away my best option for increased speed? What do you all think of the Whisker Biscuit Quick Shots? My buddy swears by them!!! Do any of you shoot them and if so do you like them?

Here is what I have for a bow:

2004 Hoyt X-tec

70 lb draw

30" Blackhawk Vapors

4" feather fletching

100 grain Thunderheads broadheads

Cobra two prong rest.

Any help is appreciated,

Chad

I've never used them but really thinking about changing to one. The only drawback to these that I have heard that it can do a number on your fletching(if you shoot a lot)But I'd rather replace the fletching than slip an arrow on a nice buck

I like my Biscuit very much. It is what it is: a hunting rest. If you are a speed freak, forget it. You're going to loose 3-9 fps. If that does not matter to you, it is a nice easy rest. But it is NOT recommended for helical fletching.

I changed from a two prong rest to a WB last year. I have to give it the thumbs up. I also switched to carbons. My groups improved and my range increased....

JEV

There were several threads about this over the last year, that you might want to go back & check, there was a lot of input. I'm a big fan, old bow & new bow both have one. I've shot vanes & feathers through them with no problem, although not helical. I change to carbons at the same time I went to the whisker bisket a few years ago. I do shoot vanes now though, I really don't have a preference, I've killed several deer with both types of fletching. I use 100 grain Thunderheads as well.

If your goal is to "shoot a bit faster without changing arrows" then a drop away may be a better choice than the fork rest. The whisker biscuit is an excellent rest for hunting, but for speed, you'll not be helped. It is also hard on helical fletching. Feathers are also a bit louder through the WB than vanes.

Take a look at the TKO drop away from Golden Key, or the Shaky Hunter drop away from Trophy Taker.

I had a whisker bisquit and replaced it with a drop away. I found the whisker bisquit to be less forgiving when it came to accuracy. I know what your thinking and yes it was professionaly installed and paper tuned at an archery pro shop. When I'm hunting, I want to reduce the risk of missing or wounding an animal so I want the most accurate set up I can get. I am very happy with the drop away. Just my 2 cents.

Nels

I guess speed isn't that critical for me, my bow shoots pretty fast as it is. After I posted last night I realized that because of the nature of the pass through style on Whisker biscuit it will slow any arrow down. I really just want to what you all think of them and if you all think they are better for hunting purposes.

I strictly use the bow for hunting purposes (including range practice), with the occasional 3-d shoots during the summer. I guess with a switch I should mainly be concerned about sound with the pass through of the feather helical fletching on the bristles of the biscuit. Might have to change the fletching if I get one, not a biggy I can do it myself.

Thanks for all the input, Keep the arrows flying,

Chad

WB is a great rest which has many advantages, one of the most important is that your arrow is pretty secure and you do not have to worry about it bouncing off if you tourque your relase or bump it. However, you will have fletch contact which will slow you down and may casue some inaccuracy. However, at closer ranges, this is a great rest. The "fork" style rest is pretty good if you can prevent fletch contact (very difficult to do if you shoot any degree of helical). You could shoot a straight fletch but they are not as accuate in my opinion. You also have to worry about the arrow sliping off. However, all in all, not a bad rest if you are not shooting great distances. Now the drop away rest will give you the best of everything. You can shoot any helical you would like and not have to worry about fletch contact. This will be your most accurate rest. Only problem is that you have to worry about the arrow resting properly on the rest and like the fork style, you have to worry about the arrow falling off the rest. My advice would be to shoot a drop away rest if you are an experienced shooter. If you go this way you can keep everything you described above and you will just have to purchase the rest! Good luck!

I was in on the WB debate on this site late last summer...decided to get one. I LOVE IT! I asked around about using helicals through it, some people thought that there could be a problem, while others didn't see any. I shot about 1,000 arrows through mine with helical last summer and fall. Only lost 3 or 4 vanes, otherwise NO PROBLEMS! I will not go back to another type of rest!

The whisker biscuit is a great holder especially if you plan to do a lot of walking and stalking. It will take some speed off of your arrow but very minimal. Seems like most archery shops I have asked have agreed that they like the WB.

i love mine!! i have heard that it does slow your arrow a bit, but the newer bisqits keeping the speed up better than the older ones. i could drop my bow out of the stand and the arrow stay on the rest. i also know some that use the WB for competion, and dont do too bad.

I switched to a W.B. and didn't like what it was doing to my feathers.(wearing the edges). Then I tried soom 2 inch Blazer vanes. Man,these shoot great and really hold up well. I will never use feathers again. My broadheads now group the same as my field points.

I dont know if this is true what this guy told me but he tried one out. Not sure if he got the thing wet on purpose just to see what would happen or if it actually happened to him. Anyways the whisker biscuit got wet and froze, he shot one arrow through it and blew some of the 'whiskers' off. Now I know who is going to hunt in such conditions but is this possible? Myself have been thinking of trying a drop away. I thought it made sense to me. What do you think? Was he full of it or just an excuse not to buy it. Just my 2 cents Brian

I would seriously doubt that claim unless I witnessed it myself. They whiskers are just not that fragile. Sure they do wear out, but its more because they get "sloppy" at holding the arrow not because chunks of them are coming out. At least that is my experience.

Personally I think the whisker is the perfect hunting arrow rest for ME.

1. I don't have to worry about the arrow falling off the rest.

2. I don't have to worry about any unwanted sounds coming from it. (I know some have complained here or there but I've never witnessed anything from any of my arrows)

3. It is accurate and shoots extremely well for me.

Just saw a sidebar in an archery trade magazine...an archer sprayed his vanes with armor-all...the vanes held up better/longer and he claims to have picked up 3-8 fps.

just a tip for biscuit shooters

good luck and good shooting...

I shoot helical feather with my WB and it shoots great. You do wear em out rather quickly, but refletching is cheap. I feel its worth it to have an (Contact US Regarding This Word) proof rest while hunting where Murphy's law rules the roost. Correct me if wrong, but your feather actually are compressed and lay flat on your arrow when going through the WB, your feathers are not passing through the whiskers themselves. I'll give mine at least this fall and then probably try a drop away during winter bow league.