• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shed a tear

Stratosman

of joy that is, strike out King Koskie no more, he's back earning his Cunuck Bucks from someone else. Our infield should should be interesting this year. Rivas at short? I know no one is thinking baseball now, but it's fun to talk a bit once in a while.

In my opinion, Ryan knows what he is doing. He has made some calls that people questioned at first, but turned out to be the right thing to do.

Every once in awhile, one gets away, (Ortiz) but who in any endeavor is 100% in what they do, or in decisions they make?

Koskie came on a little better toward the end of the season, but the guy seemed to be injury prone...not a desirable trait for signing him to a long term contract!

We already have enough walking wounded, Mauer, Kuble, Rivas, Stuart, Mays and who knows who else? It will probably work out pretty good leaving Koskie go, over the long haul.

We were talking, would'nt it be kind of weird to get A.J. back after his being let go by the Giants? Hey, anything can happen in baseball! With Borders and Blanco gone, and Mauer with shakey pins, who knows? I liked A.J., thought he called a good game and he had some fire.

I do hope that if the Twins pick up any veterans, in whatever capacity, they do better then some of the past ones we have had (Borders for instance).

Someone that can maybe resurrect their careers for a couple of seasons....does anyone out there know anything about Rusty Greer? How rusty is he?

I was abig Koskie backer and wish him well. Not to many big leagers nowadays that would take a deal he was willing to take. All he wanted was a no trade clause. The real problem here is Pohlad. My gosh the man is a fricken Millionaire! Sell the dam team if your not gonna try to and spend another 15-20 million. Realistically that might all they need to spend to win another AL central title. I collect bb cards of all released/traded Twins and I might have to build an addition to the house! Sell Pohlad, SELL! Yeah I know, it's easy to spend other peoples money.

They had $$ problems, but hey- they got the starting rotation back and that should prove deadly again next year. If Lohse can have a good year next year, they'll have Radke-Santana, Loshe, Mulholland (if he isn't gone) and Mays (coming off of Tommy Johns surgery).

As long as the offense can mustard up at least 3-4 runs a game, they put themselves in the seat to win every game with our starting rotation.

Never, ever, ever, never, speak the "S" word! Anytime the S word and the Twins are used in the same sentence, I get the willies!

The S word and the C word, when used in conjunction with the Minnesota Twins, is not a good thing. What if they were S'd out of state? That would suck big time!

Mr. Pohlad did'nt get all his $$ by making poor decisions, and I, not knowing anything about the workings of a multi millionaires continued fortunes, don't know that an extra

gob of money thrown at the team, would insure a pennant?

Money is'nt always a cure all 1987/1991 are good examples as they were certainly not a high payroll teams.

Look at eh Yankees, an engorged payroll doesn't guarantee anything, we had them beat this year. mad.gif Sure Boston with the 2nd highest won, but that isn't what the twins are all about, there is a reason Baseball the magazine named the Twins orginaztion of the year the last 2 years. I hate Pohlad too, but we have great managment and they always figure out a way to win. The Twins will not miss Koskie, way too injury prone and usually leads the team in strikeouts. Sure he also lead in HR's, but hopefully Morneau and Mauer have good years, and maybe Hunter will get his swing back this year, besides Hr's aren't what the Twins are all about. Besides the fact we lose by the long ball more often than not. Cuddyer isn't a slouch and he may get the 3rd base position, I'd be happy with that. The will manage to put together a contention team again next year, we still have the pitching to do it.

Yes, AJ was placed on waivers. Not sure the Twins would want him though. You would have Mauer, if healthy, needing to play everyday. AJ would just moan and complain if he diddnt get playing time and a discontent AJ would be bad news for any clubhouse. Now if Mauer cannot come back healthy, then yea, play AJ every day and use Mauer as the DH.

As far as the infield goes, what ever happened to Tiffe? They were so high on him and he pretty much fell of the face of the diamond. When he was up he played pretty well and showed some power too.

I would like to see Tiffe at third, Cuddy at 2 bag and Morneau at 1st, leaving Rivas at SS (his natural position, but the thought makes me cringe) as the starting infield.

You guys are making my point more valid. With this "great" mangement we have, it's a lock to win a series. And the C word as you put it, It was Pohlad's idea to go along with and it almost worked. Another point, Cuddyer which I like, played at last rememerance, 16 games at 3rd with 6 errors. Calculate that to a 162 game season. I main point on my above post is that when they win all you here is 'Oh they do so much with so little" and when they lose it's "well they are a small market team". It doesn't have to be that way.

Until this year we have had the essentially the same team for quite a while, Jones, Hunter, Rivas, Mays, Radke, Santana, Cuddyer and until recently Koskie, Guzman and Minty. Probably had fewer changes than most other teams. Obviously team payroll directly influences team performance, look at 2004, NYY #1 payroll, Boston #2, Anahiem #3, Dodgers #7, Atlanta #8 St. Louis #11, Houston #12, all made the playoffs last season, so I agree money can buy you success to a point, but then how do you explain the Twin's success the last few years? It certianly wasn't buying talent, it was raising our own talent. Now I'm not saying that I don't want the Twins to sign some studs, that would be awesome, but we have been able to compete with the system we have now. We are also very fortunate being in a weak division, but I tell you I'd rather pay $15 for a good seat for the team we have than have to pay $50 for an poor seat for a team that didn't even make the playoffs, (Cubs).

And I certianly wouldn't pay that much to sit in the stupid metrodome! And I doubt I am alone. If the Twins could get a stadium deal done, then I think they could justify higher ticket prices and that may possibly lead to being able to spend more $. I know Pohlad is a tigh a$$ but I doubt any new owner would be any different under the circumstances we have now. I mean, the stadiun issue is huge, it's pretty sad when you have to stop a baseball game just because the Gopher football team has to play there the next day!

Tom admit it you've just got a hate woody for A.J.

Tiffee sank lower on their list of up and comings for one reason or another. No idea why but hopefully they can re-explore a potential future with him at the hot corner now that Koskie's gone. Love him or hate him, Koskie was a player that needed to string together consistent at bats to be any good and he was too injury prone to string those together with any duration. He's better off in Canada. I want to see Cuddyer as a patch at third, Bartlett at short and Rivas at second. Maybe Tiffee after the all-star break can get some pt back at third.

I'm glad to see Radke back on the roster. Now if Mays can come back with any semblance of his potential/salary we'll be pretty scary. Look for Morneau/Mauer/Ford/Stew to rip up the plate. That's a lineup to compete with the big boys. Enough of this Mienty/Guzman/Koskie stuff.

Didn't Tiffe separate his shoulder last year?

You can say what you want about our success, but it is due to Santana having one of the best 2nd halves in history of the game, and finally a reliever besides scare me to death Eddie.

I think chemistry is much more important than people believe. AJ went to a place that hated him and vice versa and look at his season.

mjgrose..look at the indians of the last two years vs the glory years previous to it.

I'm not discrediting athletes and ability, but all things equal, the true team with chemistry will win.

Look at the Pistons in Basketball

I know that not too many fellas out there will agree with me, but I honestly think the Twins will take a hit without Koskie and Minty on the corners.

Sure, I agree, Koskie struck out a lot and Mintys average went kerflush, right down the ole ferguson. However, look at the defense they provided. A lot of frozen ropes they turned into outs would be doubles on most other teams.

I'm not saying Cuddy and Bustin Justin arn't good ballers. I'm just thinking on the defense end the infield isn't going to be as solid.

Ah yes, the old Hate Woody...LOL

Speaking of Mays, they say that almost all pitchers who undergo Tommy John surgery come back with 3 to 5 miles added to their fastball. I guess the tendons are tighter or something like that. There is also a very high percentage that do make a full recovery, close to 95%. Radke, Mays, Santana, Silva, and (if he ever gets his head on straight) Lohse, would be a VERY strong rotation. All of the relievers will be back as well.

Less than 4 months away!!

Guys, I didn't like to see Koskie go, but I think we can replace him with either Tiffee, Cuddyer or a free agent. (There is talk about Joe Randa). Second base should belong to Cuddyer. I think he proved himself in the playoffs last year. Shortstop is where I am worried. Rivas may be able to handle it but you have to remember, besides pitcher and catcher, shortstop is the most important position on defense, especially with all the groung ball pitchers we have. The rotation coming back looks strong and that is where I am confident.

Just have to vent here a little. I am so sick and tired of every year we hear that we cannot afford this guy or that guy and poor Carl Pohlad is losing money. Oh ya, he's losing money all right. He bought the Twins for $30 mil. Last years talk about contraction and he was going to get $150mil from MLB. Now he wants us, the tax payers to build him a new stadium, and what will the Twins be worth then? Probably around $250mil. He's losing money, right? Poor Carl, I feel so bad for him.

Flash

"Set the Hook"

I want to see the Twins sign Joe Randa to a one year contract to play 3rd - The guy is excellent defensively and a solid right-handed hitter. He would be a good mentor to the Tiffees and Cuddyers of the world. Let Cuddyer play 2nd and let my man Nick PUNTO play shortstop. Rivas can be a lazy putz sometimes, but Punto will give 100 percent all the time (or until he hurts himself by playing so hard). Punto would also be a good 2-hitter - switch hitter with speed and can handle the bat. Bartlett is not ready for the majors and Augie Ojeda can be the utlilty guy. Rivas can walk for all I care.

FI

I'm a lifelong Cubs fan...live and die with them just like you guys do with the Twins. Last season was a complete disaster. Whatever problems you think you have.....it will never be as bad as what the Cubs had last fall...the announcers and players couldn't even get along....we did sign Blanco though....he is a pretty solid defensive catcher isn't he?

Doop...Blanco, in my opinion, is a really good catcher and I was sorry to see him go. He calls a good game, has a good arm and accuracy, he can hit a dinger once in awhile, knows his way around the base pads, and I wish we could have found a way to keep him!

If Mauer comes up lame again, our club is going to wish they had Blanco back! On the other hand, if we get another guy like Borders, well....Not to worry, your Cubbies got a good one in Henry!