• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice thickness?????

jblabsnduck

I usually am on the ice when it is 2 inches. at 175 lbs, i don't need much. have been going out on two inches of ice for years and have fished with others in close proximity. at three inches the ice will hold enough weight for anyone. But, be careful, make sure you know the lake. look out for springs, softspots, etc. Be safe but don't miss out on the early bite by waiting for 5 inches of ice. take care and good fishing.

Nate

2 inches for me to go on known waters. 3 to run and gun. 6 on known waters and I am pushing my permanent out. (just sucks if it turns warm and my perm is out there crazy.gif )

I give it 2 weeks and I expect to be on ice somewhere in the metro.

I just checked the 10 day forcast and i almost cried, it was looking good, below freezing all day for 6 days in a row, but suddenly mother nature changed her mind and the forcast is for highs above freezing every day and lows in the 20's. really a shame hopfully it changes again or the forcasters wrong.

Two inches for me too. But you do have to be careful....cause two can turn to 1 1/2 quickly. Life jacket..ice spikes...checking in front of you with a chisel is good too. Ooooh, that first ice bite can be really good...a few years back I hit Ottertail lake right at that 2-2 1/2 inch stage...wow....it's a clear lake and the eyes bit all day and not a cloud in the sky, also in relativally shallow water...14ft. I can hear em sizzling in the pan already. mmmmmm.

2 or 3 works for me,but I dont head into the middle or nothin.The fish are usually close and shallow early anyway.I was fishin 3" in a bay and the rest of the lake was open and the wind was blowin hard and the ice was goin up and down with the waves,it was really cool! Free jiggin!I weigh 180 w/o the [PoorWordUsage]ysuit.

I normally like about 2.5" to 3" of ice. I weigh 180 also w/out my ice gear and stuff on and sometimes I still get afraid of 3" of ice. But solid clear ice is good to see and its a blast to catch them monstor bluegills!

Last year dad and I drove the 4-wheeler out on 3"-3.5" of ice with most of our ice gear, but we drove really close to shore and just walked out when we got to our spot. That was kind of scarry on the 4-wheeler! blush.gif

It takes 8 inches for me. I hate ice fishing so I only go for an excuse to get the line wet and get wasted with my bro's. I own a home on a lake and I would rather stay inside or go sledding then freeeze my booty off sitting on a pile of ice.... I still go because I love fishin' so much, those crappies sure are good eatin' in the winter.

2inches!!!!!!!!!!!!! you guys are nuts.

If you really want to push it...cause ya just cant wait any longer or your just one of those people where gravity is more of an issue try this: Snow shoes or cross country skis..either or will desperse your weight and greatly reduce the chance of going through.

Frabillfisher....there's a great first ice spot..it's no secret, it's the one I mention....straight out from the landing on the North east side. Just head straight out and check your depth it will be shallow for quite a ways then drops to 20+ feet...there's actually a point out there it you can find it. Try all depths..they were every where that day.

Nothing like seeing and hearing a crack right under your feet to jump start the heart. But as soon as that first fish hits...you forget about everything.