• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats the best ice auger?

sidecar pan fishin man

Boy! Thats a loaded question!!! wink.gifgrin.gif

My personal choice is a Nils Master. It's well built,very fast, very light.

A lot depends on what features are important to you. Speed, weight, cost, hole size, etc. If you post a few more details on what is important to you, it might be easier to recommend something.

Yep as augernaut said they are all good machines. Lots of the manufactures use the same engines just different gearboxes. I myself am a diehard jiffy fan and probably will never own another auger other than that. I guess that is based on the fact that I have one Jiffy that is older than me at 25 years that still runs great. I got a new stealth last year and I really like that machine. It is an ice pig. I guess if I were looking though I probably would have to give Nils a look they are expensive but suppose to be nice. But with my past history I won't need a new auger for anouther 24 years.

I'll second what huskiesplayer15 said. Strikemaster has great augers and excellent customer service. I don't particularly care for the Harley Davidson sponsored Jiffy's but I know people who have had luck with them. Augers aren't all that scientific, it's the blades that have to cut the holes.

Good luck with your decision,

Corey Bechtold

I would recommend you get an 8" 2hp auger.

I have a Strikemaster Lazer 3000XL 10". I can out drill all my buddies that have other brands at a rate of 3 to 2. It was a gift and if I were to buy one I would get a 2hp rather than the 3hp and probably the 8" rather than the 10". Lazer blades shear the ice when other blades chip it. Just saw the new Lazer 224 and it is pretty cool. The four blades allow you to do a lot of different things such as drilling at angles and drilling holes on top of each other without slipping.

I've been looking around this morning at the different auger websites and I have come to the conclusion that I am go to get the Lazer Mag Xpress in an 8" size once we start getting some ice. It seems to be light in weight, fast, and a good value. I also like the variety of sizes it comes in; 6", 7", 8" and 10".

Strikemaster now makes an auger with 4 blades...just wonder if anybody has it or knows anything about it.

Good choice on the lazer mag. I had the 3hp Strikemaster and it worked well for a while, but then started bogging down and running funny. Plus the 3hp is heavier if you like to be more portable. I went in to Strikemaster explained everything and they asked me which auger I wanted and they would make up the difference in price to me in merchandise. He put the 2hp on mine fired it up and it ran perfect one pull. Then I got a few new sets of blades and an extension as well to make up the price difference from the 3hp. Best customer service around town IMO. You won't be disappointed with that auger one bit.

I have never owned anything but my strike master lazer mag

2hp. 11 years now with out sevice. Starts on the second pull everytime. I see my buddies with there Jiffy's constantly adjusting the choke and carb screws on the ice. They are heavy and loud IMO.

Strike master does have great customer service. I had a slightly bent auger shaft after 7 years of use. I went in and gave me a brand new complete lower unit. Owner Randy Havel is a great guy.

One of the things I like about the strikemasters is that the auger part is interchangable from old to new models. I have one that is about 10 years old that still runs great. When they came out with the new lazer auger and blades, I was able to buy the new lazer system and it bolted right up to my existing motor - works great!!

Got a Strikemaster story for you. Last fall, my #3 son picked up a bunch of stuff at an estate sale. One item was an old, never-been-used Strikemaster auger with 2 extra auger shafts still in the original boxes. I called their service dept. and descibed it and they transfered me to the company president. He said he would like to see it and possibly buy it. When I got there, the service dept. quit working and gathered around it. When they saw the extra augers with the shipping tags still on the boxes they about wet their pants. It was made in the early 70's and the only one the factory had was beat up and missing parts and decals. In 30 seconds of bargaining, I traded it for a 3 horse Lazer with a 10 inch shaft plus an extention. They probably would have gone higher, but they were happy and my son was happy, since he only had about 40 bucks into it. I still don't know why the old guy would buy an auger and hang it inthe loft of his garage for 30 years and never use it.

The best auger is the one that starts smile.gif

For me its a StrikeMaster in my fish house

but they are all good...

Now the best "auger story" is icehousebobs....

* I myself would have worked them for every accessory for the auger as well. Stand, case, blades.. smile.gif*

Thats awesome icehousebob. I just git a MR. Heater and some other gear frin yn father-in-law that has been sitting in his garage for more than 10 yrs and I can't tell that its ever been used. One still had its receipt attached to the box dating 1991 from Northern.

So it would seem that from what I remember from discussions last winter and from this thread, most people support the Strikemaster for an overall favorite as well as longevity and reliability as main sticking points. I can't really argue with that. I just wish it wasn't worth 1 weeks pay for an ice auger.

I have owned 4 power ice augers in 30 years, first was an early Eskimo and a total piece of junk...but far better then chopping 3' of ice to fish. I was young, I chopped a lot of ice!

After that I invested in a used Jiffy, and Jiffy has been my auger of choice ever since. Over the years the 3 Jiffy's I owned had 1 mechanical problem in total, I broke the rope on a Lighting. That was an easy enough fix.

In my opinion the Jiffy Stealth is the most dependable and versatile ice auger on the market today. It will drill any type of ice and reopen old ice holes safely and smoothly without jumping.

Jiffy is a very low maintenance auger system. A set of blades will last you a lifetime if you do periodic simple maintenance on them. The ease of sharpening the Jiffy blades in itself is a big selling point to me personally. Dependable performance and highly functional design with unmatched durability is why I chose Jiffy.

Jiffy has it where it counts, where the metal meets the ice.

Well my 2 cents worth is the Eskimo Shark. I've drilled many many holes on the LOTW ice with just about all the new augers out there, Lazer mags, Jiffy stealths, 3hp's of all the brands, old and new. With good sharp blades they all will cut pretty darn good, but after using other peoples Sharks last year I was just plain impressed with this auger and it's new fangled engine. In my book nothing comes close and I don't even own one....Yet!

I have'nt got to try a Nils or a 224 yet so I can't comment regarding these, but that Shark is at the top of the heap when it comes to all the others.

Try one you'll love it and want it!

fiskyknut

A Jiffy will last you longer tahn anything else on the market! They are however heavier than others. Nils Master is probably the best out there but huge $. Strikemasters are good as well but not as reliable as Jiffy. Eskimo had a good thing going with the last few years motors but now went to Japan or China for their motors. It will be interesting to see how these hold up now. I like the Shark though. Go out and mess with augers at shows and tourneys then base your desision on what works for You.