• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallest walleye to mount?

Hey guys, Just wondering what he samallest walleye you would ever consider mounting? Not only the weight but the length. Tonight I caught a 23 1/2" walleye. The funny thing was it weighed 6.9 lbs. It was the fattest thing I have ever seen. I could not believe that it only went 23, but it did.

I never thought of mounting it, but it got me thinking.

Do walleyes that are fat like end up the same as a skinny fish.

Doesnt the taxadermist make them all look very fat?

ff

The smallest walleye I would mount would be about 28". I would want it to be a healthy fish too. If it was sick or skinny I probably wouldn't mount it, that goes for any size.

As far as taxidermy goes, if it was a fat fish they would make it look fat, if it was normal to skinny I'm sure they would make it look that way. I'm sure they try to mount the fish as close as possible to the way it was when you caught it; like color and size.

But my personal minimum mounting size is 30". I have gotten really close too. When I was up in Canada a few years ago I caught a 29.5" that I decided to release b/c it wasn't 30". It was my first big fish I have ever caught. Its just a goal to work for when I'm out fishing, also adds the excitement of catching a big fish! grin.gif

I tell myself Im holding out for a 33"er. Reality is I kick myself every time I think about not getting pics or better pics of the 32" class fish I have caught. Every year that goes by without a 33"eye I think about getting a Replica of a 32" I caught. Maybe this winter I will get one. confused.gif

I cant say what sombody elses size limit should be. Personally nothing under 32" will go on my all. I have seen too many 30"ers on walls and they just dont excite me anymore.

If its your 1st big fish or it has some kind of a good story behind it and you want to mount it go ahead. I do suggest a Graphite with a nice pic though. Big eyes are getting harder to come by as more people fish, internet, better equipment and GPS make it so much easier now.

Also the Lake the fish comes from is a factor. If I caught a 30" eye out of 1 of our smaller local lakes I may think about getting a Graphite done. Do what makes you feel good. Just dont catch those 25" plus eyes and take them home to cut up!

2 years ago my son (10 at that time) caught a 27 1/2 inch walleye while fishing in Canada. He was so excited because that was the biggest one he had ever caught. It was so big he had a hard time holding it up for a picture. He was also very excited to watch it swim away. He knew it was too big to keep. I had a replica made of that one for him. You can not beat the looks of a good replica on the wall knowing that the real one is still swimming around somewhere in the lake.

Rich

I think my goal would be 30 inches. Then again if I caught one that was 28 or 29 I'd think about it, because I've personally never caught one that big.

The great thing is, I consider myself as a perfessonal CPR fisherman. I never keep anything, period! I don't care for the taste of fish. I'd much rather have a replica in a coffee table that would last a lifetime, than having a real mount that looks crappy fifteen years later.

So you see the great thing about being a "CPR fisherman" is that I also always carry a camera along. So if I happen to catch a 28 inch walleye and consider mounting(replica) it, I can choose to wait a few years to see if I can top that mark. If ten years go by and I cannot beat my 28, guess what? I have a couple of nice 4x6 inch pics of that fish to get a repo made. grin.gif

This probably won't be a popular thought, but that's alright. I personally am not a fan of replicas. They look just like the real fish, it's not because I think they look fake. To me it's just, "okay here's a picture of a fish I caught, make a replica". I highly doubt anyone does this, but in theory if 4 guys are on a fishing trip & a big fish gets caught, they can each take a picture with it & all have a replica made. I guess that would be fine too, but it's just the thought it's not the fish you caught. Those big fish are very close to the end of their life anyway & from what I've heard probably don't spawn anymore anyway. I wouldn't dream of taking one home other than to mount it, unless of course I couldn't revive it.

Personally I have one mounted that's 27", that I caught from an area lake ice fishing the night before my 29th birthday. I was all by myself with no camera & it was by far my biggest fish, it was a fat one that weighed 8 1/4. I'm very proud of that fish & glad I mounted it. If I get another it would have to be 30" or very close & beyond that a monster. I'd love to have a couple fish that I caught on the wall because I love to look at them. I agree it's a personal choice, if you don't want one unless it's 30" or 31" or whatever, that's your call. I fish Lake of the Woods once, maybe twice a year, I never fish Mille Lacs, I don't go to the big walleye factories where the chances of a really huge one are much greater. Does that mean I'm less of a fisherman or I shouldn't take pleasure in an 8 pounder? Just my thoughts.

I like to eat fish & really don't target the big fish. Sure I enjoy catching them occasionally, but I'd rather catch 3-4 15-18" fish, then catch a big one or two, that I'll release potentially injured. I caught a 25" or something like that half a dozen years ago, no intention of keeping him. Short fight, 15' of water, hooked in the mouth, you think he'd come to & revive? No way, couldn't revive him put him in the livewell & pumped the water to him like crazy, he died & started turning white almost instantly. Had a 24" that did the same thing in August, similar circumstance.

I was wondering the same, I caught my biggest Walleye this past full moon (October 27th) in Fairmont MN. She was between 27" and 28" long. My new Rapla digital scale wouldnt give a steady reading fluxuating between 7lbs and 8.5 lbs. I'll call her a 7lb. (so it's easer to beat my record in the future) my past record was under 3 lbs. I'm proud to say she swam away with lots of energy (and photos). I'm trying to post a picture of her.

I was wondering how much do Graphite replacas cost?

thanks,

Fishdog...

Barking at the Moon till the sun comes up. grin.gifgrin.gif

Angler Don,

Your guess was close. I caught her in the park between lakes. Please dont tell too many of your BUDDies Word from "mouth" gets around four shore. Parden all those "puns" Im just having fun with you, caught her just north of Liar road at outlet of the channel she was right next to the green marker light in about 4' of water. Yhis was my first time fishing in Fairmont, I love it there wish I had a boat, but ice is comming soon enough. Ive only fished Fox and Wilmert before. I had lots of good luck on Ice Just off of Forgoten Lake Road (no kidding thats the name of the road). Can You tell me any other Spots I can try?

Thanks

Fishdog.

P.s. Im still trying to post the picture of my walleye. grin.gif

have 3 mounted eyes on the wall and all have special memories when caught. When someone talks size for the wall that to me is personal choice. I have a 29 on the wall through the ice, and I think the nicest mount I have is two 4 pound eyes on a table mount swimming together. The eye mounted is a memory of that fish or trip. Repos are to me a very nice mount, and the released fish will supply the future for yourself and your kids.

I would say this is a decision that each person needs to make on there own. That said, my Minimum to mount was 28", I did get a 29" 1/4 this summer so I am happy. Now, I would have to get a 30" plus to mount I guess...

I agree with Northlander 33 inches or better. I was luckey enough to release a 27" and 29.5" this past summer. I will confess to accidentally catching a 21.5" small mouth while trolling for shallow walleyes on opener. That ones at the taxidermist.

Gunflint,

You might want to specify if it was the bass opener when you caught the smallie since it's a couple weeks after the walleye opener as im sure your aware of since your profile shows your a fishing guide, some people get pretty exited about the regulations and they do exist for all of us.

Just a heads up & nice fish

hey fishdog, you're really getting me nostalgic now. I know the area well. Had my 7th birthday party at that park in the shelter near the channel. Circa 1970. Man, that was a fun town to grow up in. My Grandparents lived on top of the hill over the park just until last spring. I lived about 1/4 mile up the road from there.

Fishing, well all the lakes are connected, shore fishing from any of the channels can be productive. On the north end of town, fish from the bridge on Pioneer Drive between Lake George & Lake Sisseton. Especially in the springtime, good walleye run. At 9th street, on the east side of George is the water treatment plant. If fishing is still allowed, that was a popular place. Warm water spilling out of the facility attracted a lot of everything. The best lake of the whole chain is possibly Hall lake. It is the largest and deepest, about 25'. Directly south from where you were at the channel, about 1/4 to the middle, you will see a lot of ice fishing going on . Pull a map fron the DNR lakefinder. Lots af channel cats as well.

Farther south, in the channel between Hall & Amber, the DNR had installed a fish trap. My friends dad worked for the conservation dept, so whenever they would empty the trap we got to tag along and help/watch/get in the way. Man, farmers came from all over to load up on free fish, the co's would toss the rough fish on shore, while the game fish were sent back. Some of those fish were huge . Big 'ol catfish. Carp too big for me to pick up and toss into the truck. Ahh, to be 10 again, just for a day...

Too cool. Good luck !

Guess what, Last night I had the pleasure of landing a walleye that went 11.3 lbs. The two of us were fishing in our waders and when he had a hog on and needed help with it I came over and grabed it for him. I was so nervous. To make things worse, it made a dash between my legs and I thought I was going to skrew it up. We landed it and it was a beauty.

It was 28.5" with a 16 1/2" girth.

We weighed it and he threw it back.

I was shocked, I would like to say I would of done the same but I would not of. IT would be frozen right now.

Im still looking for my 9+.

good luck, go fishing, winter is coming. ff

This reminds me of an incident many years back, when my youngest son was about eight tongue.gif. We stopped at a garage sale across from a friend's place. My son Josh was about twenty feet away when he held up a mounted Walleye that was about four pounds. It must have been some guys first fish or something. Anyway, Josh holds it for me to see and yells," Hey dad, they're selling a used fish. And its a small used fish. Why would someone mount a fish this small?" I quietly got the kid and left. Josh has never been known for his social skills.

76K20, I agree the regs apply to everyone both leagally and morally. The Smallmouth opener in 2004 was may May 15 North and East of US highway 53 from Duluth etc. I qualify by about 150 miles. Good eye though.

Well I caught a 30" 10lb. even walleye 3 years ago and released her, then I realized how much the replica was going to be and "gulped." Right after that on the next cast I caught a 27". I caught a 26" friday night and when I was unhooking her she puked up 8 4" shad. Man was she thick.

I'll get the replica done one of these days when I have a spare $400 laying around. I got the measurements and a picture of her. I do a lot of wading and the 10 lb. pig hit pretty close to shore and squated right in the sand I could barely budge her but got her moving into the shallows and beached her. My Super Roques treble hooks pulled out of her when I had her about 2' out of the water onto the sand. Whatta fish. I would mount one over 32" for sure.

I never really thought about using length as a standard for deciding whether to get a fish mounted. I had always decided 10lbs for a walleye, but I've never been able to get past 27" or 7 lbs. I'm sure I'd get a graphite done if I did.

The day I do though will be the day my wife truly decides how much she'll put up with. She insists she'll never let me "hang an ugly fish in the house".

Friendlyfisher thats a nice fish but you may want to check your scale. Im guessing that fish should be around 10.3 pounds or so. Lots of things factor in ofcourse. What body of water were you on? Again nice fish! Who caught it? Got Picks?

I would say the smallest I would mount would probably be in the 12lb. and up range if it was a nice looking fish, but every one has a differnt idea on what a big walleye is. Back in 86 we were pulling 6 to 7 pounders threw the ice every time we went out, the biggest one that year was a 32" 12 1/2 lb. walleye caught by my grandpa, but he didn't mount it. Now me on the other would of had that one hanging on the wall.