• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New ice auger

JohnMickish

Forgive a non-wrench type here tongue.gif. There is a 43cc model as well as a 51.7cc model. Are these both the same horsepower? The only information I see on the HSOforum says that they sell 2.5 horse augers. I guess I'll go for the 51.7cc model 'cause bigger is better?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icepro,

The video and "race" was meant to be fun. That's it...fun. Not a commercial for any brand. Just two guys fishing together having fun. That's why we spend time on the ice...right?

As far as life of an auger....I should hope any auger on the market should last 7 years. With the amount of use they normally get, if they don't last 30 years there is some kind of random defect. If any of the companies produced junk, then they would not be in business.

Let me repeat....ALL of the major auger manufactures make augers that will last a long time.

Oh...and I get your point....You like Jiffy. wink.gif

Quick note regarding Eskimo. The infomation listed and pictures are last years. I spent about 15 mins talking to customer service about the augers. At Cabelas you'll see a significant difference in the Shark model especially. Major changes - drop in horsepower (from 2.5 horse to 2.1 and 1.75), change in gear ratio, RPM's lower, new handle design - no more seperate throttle handle. I would assume a drop in overall weight. View the details and compare.

the change is new to me also . i looked at both sources of information and the stuff at cabelas is different,eskimo has there old equipment info available yet. does anyone know of a Nilsmaster power auger for sale?

If you want new, you can find them online. Just do a search on the name. If you are looking for used....I dunno. I've yet to meet anybody that is willing to sell theirs. wink.gif

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

We are going to get a Nils Master Auger and do some eartly field testing. I have heard a lot of good things about them with one of them being how fast they are. We intend to find out and let you all know right here.

Never let it be said that we don't try a lot of differant things. Last year it was the Eskimo auger, which is a fine auger in it's own right. We all know about Jiffy and Strikemaster, good units as well.

If we do like them, we will try to make Nils Master augers available to any of you who might want one right here.

Rick,

I think you will like it. I made a BIG mistake when I first got mine. I was so eager to try it I put some ....not so fresh gas in it. blush.gif It did not run too well, but that was my own fault. Once I put fresh gas into it, it ran great. It is also running better now that it's broken a little.

Man...I NEED some ice. ::twitch..twitch:: grin.gif Maybe I sould hurry up and get my bait tanks setup.

I have a Strikemaster in one of their nice cases !!

I set it in the back of the Hoe on its handle along wheel well with tank side up and use things to support it from rocking, or run a bungie strap around the engine head to a tie down in my floor !!

I have owned a 9" - 3 HP Jiffy and last year I sold it and picked up a Strikemaster Xpress 8"- 2 HP. A couple things I did not like about the Jiffy was it was very heavy and also did not start very well in the really cold weather. It cut OK. The strikemaster is considerably lighter and for some reason starts much nicer than the Jiffy. The cutting action was no comparison. The Strikemaster cut much quicker and with very little pressure. It almost seemed as though the thing was sucked down into the ice once it started cutting. I have to admit that I liked the 9" inch holes better than the 8". But remember, this is just my opinion.......

I spent some time talking on the phone with JP from Nils Master yesterday, and not only does this guy know a whole lot about augers but he's one pretty nice guy as well. I'll admit, I was a little blind about the Nils Master augers, being that I've never really used one and haven't spent a whole lot of time researching them other than when I've seen info in magazines or at different sport shows, and boy was I missing out. I think I might be in the same boat as several other people as well. A lot of mention about Jiffy, Strikmaster and Eskimo is given, but a lot of the details about Nils Master are left out. The info I got from JP and from talking with a couple other people yesterday has really got me interested in a Nils Master auger. Let me share a little...

• Nils Master has been making augers for 35 years
  • The augers are designed so that you don't have to do the work, the auger will do it for you. You don't have to put weight on the auger or push down to make it cut, you just hold on and let the auger drill the hole. Makes cutting a hole effortless.
  • Hole options include: 4, 6, or 8 inch...all of them are interchangable with the same auger/engine head. So, the 4 inch auger bit will with the same auger head as the 8 inch auger bit...so you have one univeral auger/engine head.
  • The auger bits can be transformed into hand augers and re-transformed in a power auger. Hand auger handles come with and can be put on the 4, 6, or 8 inch auger bits. You don't have to buy a seperate hand auger and a power auger.
  • 1.3 Horsepower, 26cc, 11,000rpm Tanaka Engine
  • Can cut through 41 inches of ice in less than 12 seconds with the 8 inch auger bit.
  • Weighs only 22 pounds with the 8 inch bit and when filled with gas.
  • The extensions come in 14 or 28 inches. And they are an actual piece of the auger bit and are not just a pole. They attach to the end of the auger bit and the threads just keep continuing throughout the extension. This prevents slush/ice chips from building up while using the extension and it seems as if you are just punching a normal hole without having an extension on your auger. (this was one of my favorite points)

Those are just some of the details about Nils Master augers. I didn't know all of this before talking with JP yesterday, and this really opened my eyes to the Nils Master augers. I'm a die hard panfish guy through the ice, and the option of a 4 or 6 inch auger bit really appeals to me, and not only that but the ability to change to an 8 inch bit in a matter of seconds and not lose much performance appeals to me even more. During early ice you can use the auger bits for the hand auger attachment, and then easily switch to the power auger once the ice gets thicker, and keep in mind that this is all done with the same auger bits, and you don't have to have a seperate hand auger and power auger, this is something that is very efficient and handy to have.

I am very eager to use a Nils Master auger this winter, and I was in the dark about them before I got a chance to talk with JP yesterday. So, I thought I'd share a few details about Nils Master incase anyone else had similar feelings, because I think that Nils Master has a lot of great features and it seems like not enough people know about them (I was part of that group). Just another option for us ice anglers smile.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Here is a video that show a Nils Auger going upmagainst a Jiffy. The Jiffy could just as easily be a Strikemaster in this video. Both great augers.

You still have to be impressed with the speed of this Nils Auger.

Enjoy:

Jiffy vs. Nils auger contest - CLICK HERE

One thing that most American anglers don't know is that Nils Master is the number one auger in Europe - it goes by a different name over there (can't recall off the top of my head), but the Nils is THE auger to have in Europe. I would love to try one - hopefully this year.

maybe i missed it in an earlier post, but i'll ask anyway. how easy is it to resharpen the blades on the nils? or can you take the blades off and put on a new set? I have a 2 horse jiffy with ripper blades and it is a snap to change the blades if they ever go dull. The nils does appeal to me though.

f1sh1nfool,

To change the blade unit on the Nils, you remove one bolt, remove the blade unit, put a new one in, replace the bolt. Takes less then a minute. I've drilled over 1000 holes with mine and the blades are as sharp as the day I got it. Unless I hit a rock, it will be a few years before I need to think about changing blades. The key with the blades is to protect them from damage. Keep them covered when not in use, don't bang the auger against the ice, and put a light coat of oil on them in the off season. Nils uses a VERY high grade steel for their blades, so they stay sharp for a long time.

I love the auger debates. It is like Ford, Chevy or Dodge. What I get a kick out of though, is how manufacturer think we are stupid to fall for all their hype. One blade, two blades, three blades, four blades. 2 hp, 3 hp, 200 hp. When you buy a ATV or truck, you want something that meets your needs. I like a strong, durable auger. Jiffy. My buddy wants speed, Strikemaster/Eskimo. I want to replace only one blade ($24.99), we doesn't care if he has to replace three, ($99.99) Ever get a BMW oil change? $100.00. Some people like image too.

I do like the new theme of one auger company this year. "Professional Grade". That is what all of us should look at in augers, ice houses, heaters, etc.

Good fishing!

Well, if it means anything, I got my new Nils Master on Wednesday and sold my trusty Jiffy today... I was the other guy in that video. After using the auger myself and seeing it run for 2 days on Champlain that weekend, my mind was made up grin.gif Now.... All I need is ice

I just sold my old reliable Jiffy and bought a Nilsmaster as well. After doing a ton of research I figured I would spend the extra money and get what I consider the best auger out at this time. Only question I have is who is going to sharpen my blades for me considering you dont just replace them and where do I go for any warranty work if I should have a problem? Im in Duluth.

NorthLander,

Check with Nilsmaster. I think they were working on an exchange program for the power heads to save folks some money. I carry an extra head just incase I nail a rock in shallow water, etc. I've drilled 1000+ holes with mine and I am still on the first cutting head, which I could still shave with. I'm not sure how long the edge will last, but it's looking like I won't need to worry about it any time soon.