• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New ice auger

JohnMickish

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with all Auger threads you will get all the usuall responses about Jiffy, Strikemaster, Ford, Chevy etc.....

I am a proud Jiffy Stealth owner. I love it. If I was going to buy one tomorrow, it would probably be an Eskimo Shark. That is a great auger and way less money than my Jiffy.

I've used a Strikemaster in the past, and I have no complaints, but this winter I'm going to run an Eskimo Shark. You get the best of both worlds with the Shark, a 2.5 horse thats lightweight and fast cutting.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I bought my jiffy two years ago and WOW.....i love that thing.....i have never seen an auger cut so fast...i picked it up from fleet farm for $250.

I went fishing with my uncle one day and he told me to leave my auger at home...but i was like no way i had four holes drilled before he was half way through with his! So of course I had to finish drilling his too!

In my opinion I love jiffy and if i was going to get another auger now Jiffy would be my brand!

Durability vs. Speed / Chevy vs. Ford

A Jiffy is very comparable to any auger in the speed of cutting holes. However you cannot beat a Jiffy for durability. If you are concerned about speed do some math?

If you were to drill a 100 holes and your auger was 1 1/2 seconds faster per hole that = 150 seconds. 150 seconds divided by 60 = 2 ½ minutes. Based on this math I would go for the Jiffy for the durability factor.

Ask the resort owners what auger they prefer to use. With out a question it would be a Jiffy. Professional Grade JIFFY Tough.

Im also looking for a new auger, Ill probably get the Jiffy Stealth 2hp 9 inch one. I use a Vexilar Fl-8 and the extra space is better when Ive got a fish on. Ive heard bad things about Eskimo for durability and problems with them and Strikemasters ultra mag and new 224 are over $400.

Eskimo Shark, why bother with the problems that a jiffy or a strikemaster may bring you, Tech motors can be good and bad, you never know. Ive had a Shark for over a year now. No problems at all, starts on the 2nd pull or the first, and it uses a chainsaw motor (2.5hp). Theres just so many pros to a Shark than anyother auger out there. Most reliable auger I've ever had.

Please list the many Pro's for the Eskimo Shark. I am very curious on what they are. All I hear is that they use a chain saw engine,what advantage does this offer? I would like to know the many features and what makes the Eskimo Shark a better auger.

I am always open to trying new products but it is difficult to change without all the facts.

I've owned a Strikemaster for ten years. Only problem I ever had has been the recoil spring will break you if keep pulling the rope to the full extension. I'd have no problem buying another Strikemaster.

I've heard good things about Eskimo as well. But with the chainsaw motor they are very loud.

The customer service from Strikemaster is outstanding. But keep in mind, the eskimo and strikemasters are virtually identical. Same moter, almost identical blades. The eskimos shine with affordability.

I remember you just didnt know you were from rock creek . we will have to swap #,s and head up sometime..i was up there every weekend last year but two..one week at the eelpout fest. and once cuz combo flew and keep moma happy. lets get together some time and have a few..im up that way fairly often or you can come down and give somi boute drunken input on my new shack..allmost have my frame done..also if you have intrest in a wheel house i bought way to mutch metal...a friend backed out of his house ...talk to yea soon

Here we go again......Eskimo Shark......and I drive a Ford too laugh.gif I've had mine for 3 years now and it's BY FAR the best auger I've ever owned for these reasons:

ESKIMO SHARK.

Everyone has their favorite, here's my opinion posted in a previous thread:

A couple more points supporting my endorsement of the Eskimo Shark:

- The only auger that DOES NOT use a tecumseh motor. The eskimo shark has a chain saw type motor that runs at almost twice the RPM's of any strikemaster or Jiffy. (how often do chainsaw motors wear out ??)

-It has a priming bulb on the carb, so no matter how cold it is outside you give the bulb a couple little pumps and it starts on the first or second pull EVERY TIME

-You can set it down immediately after starting and IT WILL IDLE and continue to run until its' out of gas.

-You can set it down on any of its 4 sides and it will stand up and not fall over or leak gas, and the handles are all metal, not plastic.

-Did I mention that the gas tank has a gas cap that breathes and DOES NOT LEAK.

-Ardisan, the manufacturer in Wisconsin stands behind everything they sell and will take care of their customers even after the sale. I had a great experience with them providing a new canvas cover at no cost for my eskimo portable.

-It pulls itself through 48" of ice so fast, you better pull it up and clear the bit a couple times before you go through

-Weighs about the same as my old strikemaster 2hp.

Just my $.02"

Twitter

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Quote:

say matt.........you don't happen to know which brand holds the title for " world's fastest stock ice auger" would you......
grin.gif

i'll give you a hint.......it isn't eskimo, or jiffy

And Strikemaster sponsored the contest.

Wow, this is pretty good. You guys have used alot more different augers than I have. Hey, about 15 years ago I GAVE AWAY a 2 year old Jiffy. I was moving and didn't have the room. Along with that went a home made portable shack. Boy, I wish I had that stuff back now!

Thanks for the input both this years and last years. Now when are they going on sale??

I've always had great luck with Strikemaster. They have ran great for me for the last 15 years or so. Just a pre season tune up every now and then. After hearing so many good things about Eskimo Augers it might be worth a try.

Jason Erlandson