• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ladder tree stands

Flash

I just got one, it is a Grizzly 16 footer. It has a padded seat and backrest along with a fold up (or down) padded shooting rail. It is one of the heavier ones on the market but I am going to be moving it with an atv so weight wasn't an issue. I got it at a small retailer in Fridley for 139.00. I have yet to set it up, but they had one set up in the store and it seems to be very comfortable and study. When you are looking try and get one with the biggest platform, that way you have more room to move around and stretch your legs.

the metal ladder stands are the only ones i will let my kids hunt out of. i usually buy the cabelas brand.( 15 ft.rated for 250-300 lbs.) around the $100 range. i hunt of the ground.( scared to death of heights!!) the only thing is to remember a cushion of some sort.( the metal seat gets very cold!!) del

While on the subject, I was wondering if anybody knew if there are any on the market
that are rated for more than 300lbs? I am only under that by about 25lbs, and would like something a little heavier duty. I have been to Gander and Fleet Farm
and they are all the same. Thanks for any info.

I was just curious as to why you would decide to go with a ladder stand as opposed to other types of portables. Ladder stands have their advantages such as safety, ease of set up, and usually a larger platform. You can place them just about anywhere you would like as well. However, I personally do not like them. First off, I do not like dragging them around the woods as they tend to be somewhat bulky and heavy (some of the new ones are pretty light however). I sometimes hunt a mile or more from the road and do not like to lug them around that far. I guess the main reason I do not like them is because of the height limitation. I like to be high in the trees and the ladder stand has a maximum reach which sometimes is not high enough for me. In my opinion, higher elevations help with scent reduction and with being detected by some of those smart old deer. IF this is not a consideration for you, then the ladder stand is the way to go for sure. However, I would highly recommend that you consider getting a climbing stand as well for those areas where the ladder stand is not feasible. Anyway, I hope whatever you decide to do will work out for you. Good luck and get the big one!

I just put a 16' rivers edge up.I thought it would be easy for 1 person to do. (NOT)! Firts of all once you get the laders on it you have to tip it up to the tree, this took a second person. I was not able to do it alone. Then once you got it up against the tree it will want to roll side to side at the top,so you need someone to hold it steady for you while you climb up to put the top straps on. Or you can use tree pegs or a climbing bar to get up the tree to strap the stand. They are not something you would want to put up and take down often. From what I've heard from others that use the lader stands, they don't come down easy either.

Tex22

I was looking at ladder stands down at Cabelas and they have a couple of two man stands that are rated for around 500 Lbs. They looked pretty bulky, so I would plan on a couple of guys to set up, but the seat looked comfortable and it had a shooting rail.

Scott

I've got an Ol' Man climbing stand. Not too heavy but plenty of room, go as high as I like, VERY stable. have tried only one ladder stand and it was ok, had a brace mid way up I attached first which made it steady enough to climb and strap on for one man install. Still much bulkier/heavier than the climber.

Insp. Gadget,

Have you had any trouble finding a suitable tree for a climber in the areas you hunt? I'm so sick of tree steps I could puke. I don’t have a 4weeler to haul a ladder stand all over. I’m thinking the climber is the way to go but don't know of anyone that owns one or knows what to look for when purchasing one.

Are they loud going up or coming down?

Can you go around larger tree limbs or does the trunk have to be clean?

Thanks

STAY CALM
PICK A SPOT

if the stand is rated for 300 , it should be more than safe if you are around that weight. i can guarntee that the stand will handle more than the rating. it just covers the man. for limitts and law suits. yes the ladders are a lot easier to put up with two people. del

I think that I would be able to get up farther with a climbing stand as there would not be all the dang steps to screw in. Anyone know what how much a lighter climber weights and costs? Not good for trees with lots of branches, but perfect for poplars, aspem, balms, birch etc. I have been thinking of purchasing one but will prob wait till next year.

Climbers have limitations to, your best bet is to have a couple of portables. My climber weighs about 10 pounds I think (you wear it like a backpack). I bought it for about $125 if I remember right and have had it for several years. I have never had a problem with it at all (even on telephone poles). It has never slipped on me and it is very stable if put up correctly. You can climb very large trees and real thin trees, they adjust to the diameter of the tree. You do have to trim branches to climb so it is best to hang your stand, climb up, and trim the branches as you go. Once you have your stand on the tree and the branches cleared. it is only a matter of a few seconds to climb up. They are very quiet while climbing as well. There are places with no trees though so you should also invest in a good blind. The best part of a climber is the height you can achieve. I like to hunt at least 20 to 25 feet up...this is not a problem when you use a climber. Good luck!

Hawghunter,

Like the previous post, I REALLY like my climber.

Very quite, in fact, 2 yrs ago I climbed a popal in a wooded funnel between 2 large patches of grassy willow swamp. as soon as I got done pulling the gun up I look out on the swamp to see a very large rump disappearing into the former clearcut. This deer had to have crossed the swamp in an area of little cover, about 125 yards from where I was climbing. I was walking calmly and feeding it's way across. I just saw the rump, verified it in the scope, but couldn't load fast enough for a shot. Got a spike 1/2 hour later out in the same swamp, just the next trail out.

they are decently light weight, backpack nicely and are very comfortable to sit in. I also have and strap/bolt on and now I put that up for my son, (12, too small to work the climber) and I curse the screw in steps and struggle to hang on while positioning the stand every time.

The trunk needs to be clean or trimmed on the way up. We hunt in Aitkin Cty so have plenty of aspen oak and maple that offer good size and clean trunks to choose from.

Good luck!

I bought a climber last year. I think I paid just a little over $100. Well worth the $$ IMHO. They are definately great to sit in and backpack pretty nice, although can be a little bulky. Having the ability to easily adjust your height and having a comfortable place to sit will prolong your time in the woods giving you a better chance at a big ole buck. The more expensive the stand, usually the lighter it is.

Muskieguy........

I've been using the API 100 stand for years. Very nice to hang with the T screw and very lightwieght. Usually under 80 bucks. I put my first ladder stand up 3 years ago and I love it! But it is permanent. If you put one up have help cuz they can be a bugger with one guy.

If you're going to get one get a nice big comfortable one. They are permanent but not portable, so you may as well be comfortable. I have one and I actually feel safer out of my API strap on stands. They are kind of difficult to put up, two guys is great though. All stands are more difficult to put up than originally imagined especially in the dark or when it's warm and you are sweating bullets. My brother in law has a Remington Rifleman that is a bit more expensive but quiet and comfortable. It still freaks me out to be in it more than a hang on or a nice spacious permanent stand though. All stands are great though, especially when you see deer.

I've started using the ladder sticks in combo with my portable stands, mainly because screwing in those steps are such a pain in the a$$! The ladder sticks come in 4-5 three foot sections and are fairly easy to put together and lean against the tree, fastening as you climb up. Very stable and better than those **** tree steps.

Put up my first commercial ladder stand this year, was really a pain for one person, plus if the ground isn't level or the tree is slightly crooked, its makes the degree of dificulty tougher.

The majority of my stands are ladder stands that I make out of treated 2x4's. Once I have them tied to the tree, I rig up a seat. I like them for their ease of climbing up and down in the dark and for their comfort.

Every couple of years I make a batch of ladder stands. I use untreated 2x4's 1x4's for the steps and 1/2" OSB (waferboard) for seat and angled supports between seat and ladder. They last at least 5 years and are lighter than treated. I make them from 7'-12' and they balance well over your shoulder for carrying and work in many places but not all (too much brush and it's hard to push the thing through the woods). They supplement the permanent and portables we use. They are also fun to make especially when the excitement of the hunt is in your blood. If anyone wants details on how I make them let me know and I'll attempt to describe it here.

I do paint them, I use black and gray spraypaint, make sure you get flat black. I just put a lot of vertical lines on them, blends in well. Well, here goes. First lay the 2x4's down parrallel to each other and nail 1x4's on for steps, that's the ladder. I predrill the 1x4's otherwise they split. I make the stands 24 inches wide. Cut plywood seat 20" deep 24" wide. At the top of the stand where the seat goes toenail one 2x4 to each ladder upright (on the outsides of where the seat will be). You'll need to make sure it isn't 90 degrees but maybe about 100 degree angle. Cut two triangular pieces of plywood (as braces) that you will nail to the ladder side and the the toenailed 2x4's (this will safely support the seat). Then nail the seat in place on the toenailed 2x4's. This is hard for me to explain, I'd be happy to fax a rough drawing to anyone who would like me to. Either put your fax number on here or give me your email address if you prefer. I also, drill holes in the back of the 2x4's for a rope I tie around the tree, otherwise then you climb up the ladder wants to come away from the tree a bit, a bit of safety also.

Any clarifications to my horribly written engineering anyone has may help. I've made so many of these that it's hard to explain, the first one is the hardest one. I'm not master carpenter and these are easy to make, hammer nails, circular saw, drill and hunting fever are all the tools needed. They cost less than $20 each also.