• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Buddy's on sale

leech~~

I wouldn't walk across the parking lot to throw a new one in the dumpster for free.  Those things have always been junk.  For any of you that have been around a while, this is my annual post to warn everyone to not buy one.  If you're in doubt, just google "Buddy heater problems" and you'll find all the supporting material you need to talk yourself out of it.  

buddy.PNG.7eeb113b36245fcad56da70482ecafeb.PNG

And when I had my column and was a mod on ice SHANTY dot com, had to tell the heater idjits how to take care of them, and that they do NOT measure high CO levels, nor does the low O alarm guarantee you any safety. My three are now 12 yrs old, and never had a lick of trouble out of 'em. Run some emery cloth over the thermocouple, blow the ceramic element out with compressed air, and run an alcohol dipped Q-tip  down the gas tube. It was others that would fudge up a wet dream that had more problems than the marching BLM's.

1 hour ago, Paradice said:

I wouldn't walk across the parking lot to throw a new one in the dumpster for free.  Those things have always been junk.  For any of you that have been around a while, this is my annual post to warn everyone to not buy one.  If you're in doubt, just google "Buddy heater problems" and you'll find all the supporting material you need to talk yourself out of it. 

Paradice, I agree they have had their issues. I'm not 100 % sold on them as well but thought I would pass the sale along.

Here's my Big Buddy story.

My first one I did buy new at Cabala's when they had a sale a few years back. Brought it home turned it on and one side was leaking and smelling pretty bad. I brought it back.

My second one I picked up at a garage sale from to unlikely ice fisher, rough looking biker guys!  It was beat to heck like it had been dropped off the back of a pickup truck on the road or something! Both plasitc tank doors were missing, front heat grill guard was gone, the fan battery area in the back was a bit mashed and fan not working. But, it was marked $5 bucks so I thought what the heck! :crazy:

I brought it home and tore it all down, cleaned everything, put it back together. Hooked up two 1 lbers, soap checked everything, said a prayer, closed my eye's and lit her up!  She lit, no leaks! :)   

I ordered a new wire heat grill guard for the front and added a small sheet metal wind block at the pilot light which I heard works to keep the pilot from blowing out and it does.  And I now have used it for two winters without an issue and she works great! 

What can I say but when you buy them. Bounce them off the ground and try them again maybe?  :lol:

Edited by leech~~

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Hooked up two 1 lbers, soap checked everything, said a prayer, closed my eye's and lit her up!  She lit, no leaks! 

I like that.  

Look, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who've owned one and never had a problem, but with this heater, I don't  understand one bit of what RebelSS said about his routine.  

I have simple expectations in a heater.  It should turn on and produce heat when I want it to.  I should not need a degree in engineering to break down and clean what should be a $20 after-thought fishing appliance.  

Now that we've got this out of the way, when can we expect some real ice?  I've got a massive pile of pumpkins and squash out for post season deer feeding and counting.  I think them devils are getting off lucky with the above freezing temps.  Should make for easy stomping and gobbling.  

17 hours ago, smurfy said:

I have one and never had issues. 

Leech we got a mailing from northern and they were in the flyer.

Ah man!!!

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

Just noticed the Northern sale on them...plus the $5-10-20 off attached coupon that also applies to them.......:cry:

:angry:;):/

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

I had my old geezer running last week in the garage while doing a tune-up on a snow- blower......

A week to tune up a snow blower! We need more emoticons Rick, because I just can find the right one for this! :P

When I was 13 I rebuilt the motor in my go cart with a new top end and carb cleaning in a day! ;)

Edited by leech~~

18 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

A week to tune up a snow blower! We need more emoticons Rick, because I just can find the right one for this! :P

DoahIt's utterley hopeless on here......maybe he'll give ya yer own emoticon this time AND a T-shirt......

I was done with this, including oil change, in 40 mns...I took my time.   Just FYI.

18 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

DoahIt's utterley hopeless on here......maybe he'll give ya yer own emoticon this time AND a T-shirt......

I was done with this, including oil change, in 40 mns...I took my time.   Just FYI.

Just given yea craap Big Buddy!  :)

19 hours ago, Paradice said:

buddy.PNG.7eeb113b36245fcad56da70482ecafeb.PNG

I've never owned a buddy heater yet so I have no idea how good they are and I'm still a fan of my old sunflower heater/cooker but you could do a search like that for almost everything and get at least a page full of hits. I guess my sunflower is no good either....

Screenshot (3).png

I have 2 big buddy's and they work just fine after I fixed them. I had one that would leak gas out of the quick connector. I ended up removing both quick connectors and connected my gas hose directly. No more leaks. The other thing that helps with a hose connected is to purge the air out of the hose before trying to light. It takes a while to remove the air with a 10' hose.