• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New bow time anyone

sportfish

Anyone buy a new bow yet ? 

I can't justify a $1000 so I just picked up a used bow . A slightly used Bear Agenda 7 . It was set up nice with a react sight but I can't handle 5 pins so I put my single pin on it and put a smack down rest on it . So far so good but I can't say I'm in love with it but it's nice especially for less than half the cost of a new bow . Turkey season is a month away weather is nice , time to get tuned up !!

Edited by sportfish
Spelling

Good luck with the new rig, sport!  I'm using the same ol' Bowtech again- this is its fourth season, I believe.  Hardly old, but it's a good shooter, so no need to replace it.  I hope yours works out well for you.

Was down in Buffalo for my 13 year old sons basketball tourney, so we stopped in Cabelas and looked at a setup for him.  Looked at a Bear Cruzer package, and also a PSE Stinger package. Unfortunately they were very busy so could not wait long enough to let him try to shoot each.  He did say that the Bear felt better in his hand even tho its 1/2 pound heavier.

These are very adjustable packages for draw weight and length so that he could use this for many years.  Anyone have any experience with either of these bows?  We will decide on a setup before summer so he can get in alot of practice before next fall.   

I sold my Hoyt Maxxis 35 last winter and bought a slightly used 2015 Elite Synergy.  So far I'm really liking this bow.  Very smooth drawing, nice valley, quiet and pretty vibe free.  I can't believe how dead in the hand and quiet it is.  Much more user friendly than my Hoyt was.  Still have my old Hoyt Vectrix XL for a backup (so I can keep wearing my Hoyt hats).  LOL.

SmellEsox, sometime this spring/summer would you let me try out your new bow?

I have very been curious how the Elites shoot and feel, I know of a few fellow Mathews loyalists that have told me they may switch.  I just haven't made it out to the pros shops to try them out,  probably should stay away from places I like to spend money that anyway.

11 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

SmellEsox, sometime this spring/summer would you let me try out your new bow?

I have very been curious how the Elites shoot and feel, I know of a few fellow Mathews loyalists that have told me they may switch.  I just haven't made it out to the pros shops to try them out,  probably should stay away from places I like to spend money that anyway.

Absolutely!  Anytime Anyfish2.

I have added 2-new to me (used) recurve's this winter. Both will be reconditioned this spring. They will get the full neighbor_guy customization, stripped, shaped, and refinished. Then I will make a new Flemish twist string for them and they will either make the rotation or they will be added to the bow rack. 

Well I've been shooting my Agenda 7 and I think it will be up for sale soon . I just not to happy with my groups , maybe it's the grip or the short axle to axle. I said I would never buy another 32 " or shorter but I had to try it again . Maybe I will hang on to it through turkey season 

I promised pictures and here they are. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I stripped it down, and heavily modified the contour and shape of the grip. I have fairly small hands so I like something a little narrower at the throat with a nice round palm swell. When it comes to a recurve it's all in the way it feels in your hand. If it doesn't feel good you should just move on. 

Which brings us to the end of this story. :/

Tonight before I hit it with emery cloth In preparation for another coat of finish I decided to twist up a string. So a nice two tone Flemish twist string was made that matched the rich brown glass and that nice maple laminated layer from the limbs. Then the sad reality set in....image.jpeg

Twisted... Very badly. You can't see the twist in the limbs when it's not strung. Looks fine, no twist or cracks. But as soon as you brace it the twist in the lower limb is so bad I wouldn't dare to even shoot it. Very disappointing. 

It's likely that this bow was either stood in the corner of a closet or garage and left there. Or, just as likely, was repeatedly strung without the use of a bow stringer.  In any case it's journey has ended. 

Oh well, I still have plenty to choose from.  My favorite Pearson just got a new string today too, so I will get her ready for turkey season instead. At a short 52" she will work better in the blind or seated on the ground anyways. 

Back in the day, when we had a twisted limb like that, we'd hold it under steam for a while, then put it under a door and twist it back the other direction.  I remember it working well enough that we would have no qualms about shooting it again.

Unfortunately i think this one is past that point. After 2 times drawing to anchor and letting down the string slips right off the limb.  I have had a lot of bows pass through my collection over the years, this was the first one that caught me off guard on the issue. Usually its easy to pick out the twist. Could be that It was hidden with the shortness of the bow itself (56"), the color of the glass (brown), or the finish that was on it (flat). Now that I have had a good chance to look at it with the high gloss finish there is a hint of twist in the lower limb when its not strung, but I would have never thought it was going to be as bad as it is.

The initial investment on this one was only $35, so I'm not out that much money. Its the work to refinish it and the coulda been thats the real bummer.

But that's why I do it, always on the look out for the next project bow. Always coming back to the same two in the end for hunting or pure enjoyment. 

Well the Bear didn't make the cut ! I found a deal and its up for sale now.  Found a new Strother Affinity for $300 . Always wanted one, that will make 4 different Strother bows I've owned . Still have my Valor too . I'm turning in to a fan boy of a company that's gone ha