• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Morning!

1 minute ago, Dotch said:

Was wondering about that. The air has a real penetrating dampness to it today so Mrs. Cheviot's arthritis will be front and center. Like to make that big egg on my left knee into an omelet meself. :sick:

Same here..and the RA's kicking butt, too. Danged wedder. :angry:

18 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Same here..and the RA's kicking butt, too. Danged wedder. :angry:

yea.yea blame it on the weather. all nite cookie baking is where I think it comes from!!!!!!!!!:crazy::lol:

2 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I'm freezing today!  I give my wife grief all the time about her being cold.  What's going on, I"m inside too.

you didn't bake cookies??????? so the oven heat warmed the house?????????:confused::whistle::whistle:

4 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Why you little blue keebler elf outcast.....!!!!   :angry:

:Phehehehe haha!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I'm freezing today!  I give my wife grief all the time about her being cold.  What's going on, I"m inside too.

That's how it starts...just wait!!!!!!!!!!!

that's not very inspiring at all Reb...I sleep with my leg out every night and one day I'm cold and you curse old age on me?  If I could get gas for 9 cents a gallon, like Bobber,  I'd head to Rochester, fall off the wagon, and hang out with your drunk neighbor making noise all night just to make your grumpy .

Edited by leechlake

You wouldn't wanna hang out with that idjit. You throw the book at me because I'm trying to give ya a head's up about the "crud" that's going around?! If I was referring to old age and you, I would of....well,  never mind! 

Don't try to change the issue here, Boo boo. Being nice, I tried to warn ya that ya might be getting whatever's going around, so you can put yer fluffy "Duck" slippers on and sip hot cocoa under yer Star Wars blankie. But no, out comes the conspiracy theory, Jesse. Beware the Pogonip.  scared3.gif

Edited by RebelSS

Friday morning.  I work from home, Deb's home Fridays, it's a different environment on Fridays.  She has always been a morning person and while I am too I'm not to the degree she is.  Even as I type this a barage of questions and comments have been thrown my way, she's cleaning a plate feet away from me and water is flying on me.  "Easing into the day" isn't happening.  The worst is she always seems to expect me to be on the same page that she is even though it isn't 7am yet.  Oh well.

We did some scorekeeping and announcing for a hockey tourney last night, together.  She was in charge of playing music during breaks in the action.  I think my job was to field questions from her.  I was watching the game, knew some kids on both teams, and she was pointing out people in the stands, asking questions like she was three years old.  She drank my hot chocolate and she kept leaving the music on while play was happening.    I still attempted to watch the game.  She told me about her day at one point, I was watching the game.  When the ref would come over and clearly tell us who scored or who got a penalty she repeated it to me as though my hearing aid batteries had failed, even though I don't have hearings aids.  The guy doing the time clock was a Russian immigrant type guy, frankly he kind of looked like it.  She talked to him a lot.  He didn't say much but would just smile.

Game ended, ref came in and signed the book and thanked her as though she was the CEO of the rink.  She was happy, great night at the rink!

Edited by leechlake

I have to thank you LL, you always make laugh at least once a day! It is a beautiful morning here in the big city of Moorhead, No wind, and clear sky's!!! The temp in my truck claims its -4, but it sure feels a lot warmer than that.   Working for a few hours this morning, then headed to Red lake for the weekend. Looks like there may be a little wind tomorrow, but ill take that after the last two weekends!!

Ya lot of stuff going around.  Vac packing the polish today for the freezer.   Had some with some eggs this morning.  Going to rig up some rods for the lake tomorrow.  Hope to get a few rainbows for the smoker.  Had the Hibbing Historical Society contact me about my pictures in the Vintage Arrowhead page on my page.  They would like to know if they could have the originals or photocopy's of them.  They are one of a kind, but I will talk to them.  After my father-in-law passed away my wifes mom moved in with us.  i went over to their house and cleaned it up to get it ready for sale.  While I was in the garage there was a bunch of trash in a corner that I removed and there was this large black suitcase.  It was moldy on the outside but when I opened it, everything inside was in great condition.  Four old family albums from his family were in there among other things.  Amazing photos from the Arrowhead north to Kabetogoma.  That was where they built their homestead way back in the 1920's.  Also found a Pace slot maschine which is vintage in itself.  Anyway have a good day.  good luck.

That's awesome RH! I hope they're able to make good copies of them and are able to share them with the public.  That's one heck of an archive you've got and if anyone hasn't taken a look yet, I strongly suggest you go to RH's page and check it out. We got it pretty easy these days compared to what they had back then.  Amazing to see stringers of walleyes from the days before sonar, super-line, and mass-produced artificial lures.  Hook & a minnow and some bulky braided line is all a guy needed!  I really think that the reason it's so tough to catch fish sometimes is because we over-complicate it.  It seems that I caught more fish with my Zebco 404 factory-spooled with crappy 15 lb test and maybe 3 or 4 lures as a kid.  Now I bet I got a grand into my tackle box, another grand into my rod/reels and more into my electronics and I can't catch a dang thing.

There were a lot more fish then, and evolution had taught them to be aggressive, eat now ask questions later.  Fifty or a hundred years of killing the aggressive fish, and lower populations with plenty of forage produced what we have today.

Fly into some untouched lake or get on some lake that was on some private reserve, and it's just like back then, only you can really catch them with modern equipment.

Morning routine complete, still savoring a few swallows of coffee. The office pest has come and gone so I can relax and get something accomplished rather than executing evasive maneuvers. I mean seriously, if you know you have a sump on a bin to fix that you plugged up and/or broke the night before, corn yet to haul, snow to move in your yard and pigs to sort, what part of that tells you that it's a good idea to go to town, pick up a Star and Sickle, sit on your @ss and annoy people, then wonder why you're so far behind all the time? :mad: 

Supposed to meet up with some friends we haven't seen in a while tonight so that should be fun. Tomorrow hopefully get the last couple - three loads of manure out of the lambing barn. Friend is supposed to bring his old skidloader over so I don't have to use an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly stick, except maybe in the corners. It's a 330 Mustang just like mine only sans cage. Leaks hydraulic oil and the tire goes flat after a day or so he says. Hmmmm, I say. Sounds familiar. I have Binford forks a guy made for mine that he likes to borrow sometimes. At any rate it's gotta get done with or without the skidloader. Lambs should start showing up sometime during that 3rd week of February.  

Great story LL! This guy too is nice enough, just needs to learn that once or twice a week is tolerable but every single day gets old. I also employ the "keep moving" technique whenever possible but this is a paperwork day so about all I can do is run to the post office at 9 o'clock. Then he waits until I get back!

Had an oldtimer show up after he left and he's a character. We have old tractors in common, specifically Cockshutts so he proceeded to tell me about one he was bidding on with his son. He questioned whether the model year and make were right and whether the Wheatland fenders on it could've been original equipment. I have some books containing the models, options available, serial #'s, etc., so it's always fun to argue with him then bring out the books just to straighten him out. Just like at home! :D  

10 hours ago, delcecchi said:

There were a lot more fish then, and evolution had taught them to be aggressive, eat now ask questions later.  Fifty or a hundred years of killing the aggressive fish, and lower populations with plenty of forage produced what we have today.

Fly into some untouched lake or get on some lake that was on some private reserve, and it's just like back then, only you can really catch them with modern equipment.

I partially agree, Del.  I know that fish become conditioned and heavily fished lakes lead to fish that don't bite on just any old presentation.  In turn, lakes that don't see a lot of fisherman tend to have eager, "dumber" fish, but:

1. I'm not that old. evolution takes longer than that. Fish management practices are more sensitive and intense now than they were when I was a kid in the 80s.  I think fishing accessibility has improved along with technology, but I don't think general populations have changed that much. 

2. My kids now out fish me--and it's the greatest!  I learn from them.  I'm old and bitter - I think "I'm not going to waste my time throwing that little daredevil of this old dock, there's nothing there."  But my kids like doing it because they think fishing with lures is "big people fishing" and they're eager to show dad how far they can cast, etc.  plus - they're not getting bored watching a bobber. Regardless - 10 min later I'm removing a 5 lb pike or 3 lb bass off that daredevil that I wouldn't "waste my time throwing."  Yet, I'll boat back & forth all day looking for subtle changes in my graph showing  a rock or a possible bottom transition that I'm told should hold fish but I just get snags & break-offs.

Back in the old days, it was a combination.  sure there might've been more fish that had never seen a lure, but I think the people in the pictures were fishing more out of necessity than pleasure.  Not much catch-and-release going on and their "primitive" efforts probably weren't that much different than what my kids are doing now.  I think I spend more time trying to figure out my methods and equipment than catching fish.  If I could fish 5 days a week, I'd eventually be more successful - but for now I'll keep buying cool gear and coming home empty-handed ;)

The knife eating dog needed to go outside about midnight.  I gave her about two minutes and called her in and she was gone.  Probably ran into a bunny that was chewing on our shrubs and chased it out of the invisible fence yard.  I decided to read for a bit while I hoped she came home but after 30 minutes or so I was mad at the dog, why couldn't she have done this on a weekend.  I always wonder if she's going to bark and wake up neighbors and usually don't worry, if it's one of the older dogs, if they will amble home but this dog is young enough to do stupid things so I was worried slightly.

I finally punted and just went to bed and couldn't sleep and layed there.  It's funny how you can lay in bed and an hour can go by in a blink of the eye filled with negative thoughts primarily.  I believe I fell asleep at 214am and she came home at 215am.  I opened the door and she came in as though she had been on an exciting adventure.  She ran upstairs and layed in my warm spot in the bed.  I moved her over and she gave me a lick.  I touched her body and thought it was funny that 2 plus hours outside and she was as warm as if she had been inside the whole time.  It seems the things I love the most in life are also the biggest hassles from time to time.

Morning....I think..... p_851397_0.gif  Woke up Saturday with a pounding head, sore throat,  hack, and drippy nose. Still there, except for the sore throat. I very rarely get colds...this is my second one since early .December. Looks like a great day ahead. Foggy and 26* deg here in the land of foolishness. LL, you better keep an eye on that pooch. I'll bet she WAS inside the whole time, and raided the 'fridge. Better check under the couch. I need some more cawfee.....

Leech...this dog swallowed the knife....:tired:

xray-dog-swallowed-knife.jpg

Edited by RebelSS