• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Morning!

Good Morning!.  Normal routine morning [most of the time].  Got up with my wife.  She get's up at 5 am to go to work.  Made coffee for her and later started the van for her, for it to worm up some.  Made sure her mom got her meds and breakfast.  Today's plans are to go to Fleet Farm to get dog food.  They sell Diamond brand there and I've been lucky with that.  Last two dogs I had [rescue dogs] lived to be 15 years old.  Got to pick up some unsalted almonds for the beginning of a diet plan next week.  Eating mostly meat and vegies and meat and salads.  So it won't be that bad.  I'll see if I can make the meals tasty.  I've got to go to the main post office around here to get three shipping boxes for past football wins.  Right now I have only polish so maybe I should PM the winners and ask them if they want to wait a bit longer until more variety made.  Next up ring bologna made in links instead of rings for example.  Have a great day.  good luck.

Still licking my wounds from the weekend. Thank god my buddy dropped his skidloader off Saturday or I would've been more than wounded. That last cold stretch froze the manure pack down 4" - 6" and made life interesting. His skidloader is a perhaps slightly less well maintained version of mine sans cage. When I told him I'd grease it up before I used it he said not to worry. Yesterday when I went to grease it I figured out why: About half the zerks were broke off, gone, or just wouldn't take grease when you did try to grease them! Fortunately I keep a supply of stuff like JB chain lube and spray grease around for just such occasions. The pins to attach my skidloader bucket or forks are slightly worn and he lost his pins. He thought using some 3/4" bolts would work. Not!

Used my pins and the forks came off a couple times which made me cuss. However, thinking back  about "the good old days" made me bite my tongue. Given the same scenario, we used to bust through the frozen pack with a pick axe, then pitch it into a wheelbarrow, wheel it up a ramp and dump it into the spreader. That was about 40 years ago when I was 17. I was truly amazed yesterday at how the spreader handled some of the larger frozen chunks. A lot of them were 3' x 5' in size. Made the tractor grunt but the spreader ground them up and didn't even make the drive belt squawk. In the "good old days" you didn't even dream about dumping something like that in a spreader. For starters you couldn't wheel it up the ramp and if you could you knew something bad would happen, most likely when you were the farthest away from the house. The four monster loads yesterday pitched by hand likely would've killed me.

Mrs. Cheviot helped clean up the edges and corners which was nice of her. Then after chores she whipped up a great hash brown hot dish complete with those dried onions on top. I'd managed to leave a few pieces of apple crisp so we had that for dessert. Went to bed early and Ruby stretched out and wedged herself in beside me. She's one warm little Border Collie. Didn't take long and I was out. I hurt this morning but nothing like I would have if I hadn't got to use my buddy's skidloader. We shear in another three weeks and lambs should start hitting the ground not long after that. Just glad to have that major pain in the butt done for another year. 

27 minutes ago, reinhard1 said:

That sure looks tasty Reb!!!  Still a kid at heart with that white bread.  good luck.

Sausage AND bacon!!!!  That looks great!!

LOL  Just for toast, rh. Rye bread is for all sandwiches. That's smoked ham slices, lbbg. That "little" bfast sandwich takes 3 mns to make. Break an egg (and yolk)  into a small Pyrex glass custard dish, cover with plastic wrap, nuke on 30% power while toast is getting done.  Perfect round egg. Pop sausage patty and thin smoked ham slices into 'wave for 1 mn. Assemble with swiss and cheddar slices..melts nicely together.

Edited by RebelSS

I gotta figger out where Reb lives so he can give me some pointers on how to make them breakfast samiches, maybe even get a free sample. :) Nice morning here, around 20 albeit a little breezy during chores. Ditched the long johns so it's taking a while to get acclimated again. Fed the squirrels, looked longingly at the grill, got breakfast done, then set the dishwasher for 2 hour delay and bolted. Enjoying some coffee after ridding myself of the morning office pest. Hopefully there is no matinee performance today. Typing a little ditty is always a nice way to get the creative juices flowing. Gotta edit a column and then get back to what I get paid the big bucks for. Lately seems like it's been paperwork, dusting and cleaning. Was embarrassed when Rick paid a quick visit a few weeks ago and I'd stepped out for a minute. End of the year stuff all over, accumulated junk mail, dusty and grimy. I bet I could scrape together a soil sample from the carpet in here. Already looking forward to the weekend. Would like to soak up some apple wood, get the rotisserie out, and do a couple leg of lambs on the grill. Need to decide how to answer when people see those 3-legged critters running around. ;)   

3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

beaut of a morning here. getting ready to head to high banks till thursday afternoon. hopefully a few eyes take our offerings.  

Say hi to Kim and Rick for me!

Morning. I just cant seem to cathc up with anyone or anything. owell, this thread aint far from my mind, I think I have the next 4 weekends full of ice fishing.dont have time to smoke anything, and Im really bummed.  I wanna smoke tha C bacon but cant find the time. driving me crazy but i think I can fit in some breakfast sausage time. will see. sorry I havent been around. just seems to be getting busier an busier for me.

3 hours ago, Boar said:

Morning. I just cant seem to cathc up with anyone or anything. owell, this thread aint far from my mind, I think I have the next 4 weekends full of ice fishing.dont have time to smoke anything, and Im really bummed.  I wanna smoke tha C bacon but cant find the time. driving me crazy but i think I can fit in some breakfast sausage time. will see. sorry I havent been around. just seems to be getting busier an busier for me.

Well we know you won't be busy cleaning fish!!:P

Most mornings I lay in bed and wait til the kids leave at 645am or so until I come downstairs to avoid the little snips they throw at each other.  I come on here and my other two kids, Boar and Smurfy, are snipping.  Oh well...

Great night sleep last night.  I think even the knife eater did too because at 1015 when I was dosing off she was between the wife and I with her soft head just where I could pat it and at 5am when I woke up she was still right there.  I always lay there dosing off a bit.  This morning I layed there and had a Christmas morning like enthusiasm.  I hope to roll with that attitude as far as it takes me today.  No aisle blocker at the store will get me down today!

I had mentioned I would mention my daughter and never had a good topic, today I do.  She's at "that age" and maybe for a female "that age" is many ages.  Anyway, she was upset at dinner and started crying when everyone left so I attempted to spring into action.  We headed upstairs to talk and this time she seemed like she really wanted to.  She said the problem was that mom/dad/brother are Republicans and she's a Democrat and we make fun of her.  She leaves the room when politics come on the tv (hard to get away from now) because we give her grief.  I do know I'm not guilty of this but frankly her brother and a bit her mom try to convince her she's wrong.  I expect her to be a lefty and don't care.

I'm not sure this is going to work but I'm switching sides, secretly, for a while to support her.  Some time today I'm looking up single payer health care, climate change (that's going to be a toughy), and some other thing, maybe Michael Moore's new movie on Europe and one issue he portrays that in many European countries college is "free".  Or at least the student doesn't pay, directly, and ends up with zero college debt (except in the form of taxes for the rest of his life).

I'm going to steal the lefty play book for a while.  Maybe it will be refreshing to talk about it and if it helps my girl all the better.

Edited by leechlake

44 minutes ago, leechlake said:

Most mornings I lay in bed and wait til the kids leave at 645am or so until I come downstairs to avoid the little snips they throw at each other.  I come on here and my other two kids, Boar and Smurfy, are snipping.  Oh well...

Great night sleep last night.  I think even the knife eater did too because at 1015 when I was dosing off she was between the wife and I with her soft head just where I could pat it and at 5am when I woke up she was still right there.  I always lay there dosing off a bit.  This morning I layed there and had a Christmas morning like enthusiasm.  I hope to roll with that attitude as far as it takes me today.  No aisle blocker at the store will get me down today!

I had mentioned I would mention my daughter and never had a good topic, today I do.  She's at "that age" and maybe for a female "that age" is many ages.  Anyway, she was upset at dinner and started crying when everyone left so I attempted to spring into action.  We headed upstairs to talk and this time she seemed like she really wanted to.  She said the problem was that mom/dad/brother are Republicans and she's a Democrat and we make fun of her.  She leaves the room when politics come on the tv (hard to get away from now) because we give her grief.  I do know I'm not guilty of this but frankly her brother and a bit her mom try to convince her she's wrong.  I expect her to be a lefty and don't care.

I'm not sure this is going to work but I'm switching sides, secretly, for a while to support her.  Some time today I'm looking up single payer health care, climate change (that's going to be a toughy), and some other thing, maybe Michael Moore's new movie on Europe and one issue he portrays that in many European countries college is "free".  Or at least the student doesn't pay, directly, and ends up with zero college debt (except in the form of taxes for the rest of his life).

I'm going to steal the lefty play book for a while.  Maybe it will be refreshing to talk about it and if it helps my girl all the better.

iffin you think were snippin now..............ya shoulda been around on red last weekend!!!!!!!!!:P:D:cry:

morning all!!!!!!!!! after a long day yesterday going to Sioux falls and back, just gonna try and get caught up today! pretty white knuckle driving yesterday morning from willmar to marshall.

I did however see about 40 pheasants!!!!!!!!!!

I don't recall seeing ole reb this morning????????:confused::eek: musta been a late nite cookie baking thing!!!!!!!:P sure wish he'd post pics and the reciepes they use!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by smurfy

Boy LL, going over to the "dark side", eh? Don't know if I could do it. Oh well, on a "positive note" if your daughter gets "free" college, you won't be out as much when she graduates and comes back home to live in your basement. :D 

Nice morning here getting some muted sunshine in the process. About 12 above. Chores are actually a nice start to the day before lambing when it's not  way below zero. Critters are glad to see us and as long as there are none with 4 legs in the air, the feeling is mutual.The pheasants were picking away at their corn feeder and one of the numerous fox squirrels was stuffing his face as I was getting ready to stuff mine. Starting to shed a few of the numerous holiday pounds as the outdoor physical activity picks up and I start to back away from the table a little quicker. Now if I could just cut out the cocktail hour before supper. I sleep like a rock though after that, some chow and upon getting my daily dose of Miami Vice. I often wonder how a Ferrari Testarossa would be in the snow or if I could pull a chit spreader with it somehow? Talk about "style points"! ;) 

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

morning all!!!!!!!!! after a long day yesterday going to Sioux falls and back, just gonna try and get caught up today! pretty white knuckle driving yesterday morning from willmar to marshall.

I did however see about 40 pheasants!!!!!!!!!!

I don't recall seeing ole reb this morning????????:confused::eek: musta been a late nite cookie baking thing!!!!!!!:P sure wish he'd post pics and the reciepes they use!!!!!!!!!!

Reb has been fighting a bad chest cold/flu, now combined with a sinus infection. Kinda totally wiped out. I'll keep pokin' away though. :crazy:    Wait, don't EVEN say it, Smurf.......

Reb,  I think this will be the last time you're sick for a while.  Body has built up enough immunity that you could have classified emails on your "server" and get a pass.  Eat some chicken soup, makes you feel better for a bit.

I hope so, LL. Well, I'm up, but I don't know why. Looks like the January Thaw is here, or don't people believe in that anymore, except us Old-timers that know better? I remember when I first read about that....musta been about ten years old, it was in a book called "Gift of the Deer" , by Helen Hoover that my dad bought me. Still have it. (great book, by the way) They lived in Northern Minnesota in a cabin and talked a lot about the thaw. Wheeled the garbage out to the curb and things were just a drippin'. Boy, that fresh air smells good. I hate being cooped up inside. "They", the Wedder Morjits, are talking big storm next week, Hmm..it will be February, right? That's when we always got dumped on. I remember as a kid, a lot of my birthdays always seemed to get buried under a good snowstorm now and  then. Then we had to saddle up the dinosaurs and break trails through the snow to get the ten miles to school. Well, cawfee's done, have a good day, guys. 

Edited by RebelSS

Good Morning.  Haven't checked the weather out yet.  Another big storm huh?  Well if they are like the last one's predicted I'll take them.  Going to put my wheeler on the trailer today and leave it on there.  Much easier than on and off stuff.  I've had it since 2002 and still have low miles on it.  Ice fishing and deer hunting use so far.  I thought about taking it on those trails but for now it's just been a thought.  Perfect day for ice fishing, but have to take my mother-in-law to the doctors.  Lot of stuff going around.  Must of got it from the grandkids.  So far so good for me.  For some reason I rarely get a cold.  Maybe it's the beer I drink or something.  Today is a day you don't need a shelter.  There I go thinking about ice fishing again.  It seems on the nicest days something always comes up.  I'm set to go next Thursday on the calendar and I checked with the fortune tellers aka weathermen or women and it looks like a cold front starts that day LOL.  Really don't care, I'm going [unless something comes up again].  Beef stew tonight.  good luck.

Well well...I accomplished a lot yesterday but my best was my foray into becoming a Democrat in support of my daughter.  Her name is Alana btw...(pronounced like the city in Georgia).  Frankly, I was against the name since being a man named Kris I understand misunderstood or mispronounced names stuff.  Maybe it builds character like Sue for Mr. Cash.  Back to my politics...

When everyone was in the kitchen last night I decided to not keep it private and I told them.  I'd say I "came out of the closet" but that's not what us democrats would say.  After the eye rolls my daughter was smiling but more in a way wondering what I had up my sleeve or what I was going to say.  Wife and son asked some questions and daughter said "you can't just change one day."  I told her it was a long time coming so it wasn't like that.  

My first theme was Single Payer Health Care.  It's pretty easy to explain it in a broad brush.  I mentioned insurance companies taking too big of a piece of the pie, a real life story of a surgeon friend of mine and lack of doctor choice, and then I lied (I think) that it wouldn't cost any more, and it would be way more simple (almost positive that's a lie).

Son and wife seemed to want to debate.  I told them that this wasn't a debate.  I'd made up my mind and just was telling them what I thought.  They pushed me and I was more than ready.  When they questioned any aspects of my new platform I mostly said, "it's free."  When they questioned "it's free" I capitulated a bit that, for some, their taxes may go up but for most it would mean lower taxes and in essence most things could be considered free.  College?  It's free.  Prescript drugs?  It's free.  This is awesome!  I've got two kids going to college and I'm getting older and it's going to cost me nothing.  

At dinner I asked questions on how I do the Mn caucus thing for Bernie.  Apparently I have to register and I never had participated in the primary for R or D so I'm going to register as a democrat and I'm hoping I get some sort of card that I can laminate and put in my wallet.  Pretty sweet if you ask me.

As icing on the cake Alana helped me look up Bernie Sanders on my Twitter account and I added him as my third thing I follow.  I'd ramble on here but I've typed enough and I need to check Twitter to see what my candidate has posted.  I'm feeling the Bern today...Have a fantastic day guys.

I was a democrat and voted for Jimmy Carter.  That was the last democrat I voted for.  They were for the working folks back then.  My parents, brother, and sister all vote democrats most of the time.  My brother falls off the wagon once in awhile if he sniffs that some candidate is anti gun.  That's something he won't tolerate.  Both my daughters are conservatives.  We don't go by party.  My parents, brother, and sister are still waiting for something free.  I'm tired of both party's.  I used to be very active for the republican party here locally.  Precinct chairman, volunteer, door to door, putting out signs ect.  Found out that there is a inner circle, kind of like back in high school where there was that certain "click" and the rest were not important until needed.  So now, I still get calls  "Hey!! how are you!! We would love to have you attenend this and that".  So i say,  thanks but no thanks.  I used to make some speeches as well.  Couple of times at a T-party ralley.  I really felt that there was a purpose and a goal back then.  But then I look at the leadership on both sides of the isle and I don't see any difference at all after doing all that volunteer work to make a difference.  Personally I think the democrats and the republicans should get together and form one party because there is no difference anymore.  Guess I'm a radical in someway like Bernie [who I don't agree with but respect].  Bernie believes what he says and votes that way.  I'm looking for someone who does that on the conservative side.  good luck.