• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chicken - brine or not to brine

My wife's asking for an encore from the ribs last weekend.  So this weekend I will be attempting a whole chicken.  We have a couple farm-raised chickens in the freezer that we got from some family friends.  They're BIG - almost like a small turkey.  I'm going to either spatch it or just split it right in-half, haven't decided yet.  But most smoking recipes I've researched don't mention a brine.  I would think that because it's a big bird, a brine would be a good idea to keep it juicier over what will be a longer cooking time.  Does anyone else usually brine their chickens before smoking?

I've got of brine recipe's on my page.  I think using a brine is helpful as far as keeping the meat moist especially with the white meat.  Dark meat really doesn't need it.  I do brine breasts and at times whole chickens.  Injecting is the other option with spritzing the bird with apple juice during the cooking process another helpful option. Soaking the bird in buttermilk is the most simple brine.  I think if you have time to prep your meal, using a brine with your chicken will make it more juicy and add some flavor.  Short on time, injecting the bird as a great thing to do.  Chicken broth with butter is a good simple way to inject flavor and keep the bird juicy.  good luck.

I've asked myself the 'brine or not' question also.  I've done it both ways with whole turkeys, turkey breasts, and whole chickens.  I usually go with a salt/brown sugar brine, with some added spices.  My conclusion is that it doesn't make that much difference. The chickens and turkeys are grown so fast and killed off at such a young age that they're naturally tender.  More important is how long and how hard you cook it. You cook white meat too long and its going to be dry. Use a thermometer!!! Make sure they're fully thawed!!!

I also leave my chickens (or turkeys) whole, that helps keep it moist also, you expose more of that breast to the hot fire and walla, dry white meat.

I'm also not a fan of injecting, its distasteful to me to see those 'lines' in the meat where you injected.

Bought a rotisserie for my Weber this year, it really works slick for just what we're talking about, whole chickens. You're cooking with indirect heat, with a water pan below, its self basting, practically impossible to ruin the chicken - unless you overcook it.

Did I make my point about not over cooking it?!!! :)

I use this base brine for whole turkeys, chickens and thick cut pork chops.  Brining bags are great by the way!  I have also deviated from this by scrapping the rosemary, peppercorns, and orange peels for a couple tablespoons of pickling spice.

Blackjack is spot on.  Do not overcook chicken.  Safe cooking temp is 165 degrees.  I usually get the thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken thigh to 160 degrees and pull it.  It will make it to 165.

Ingredients

• 3 cups Apple Juice Or Apple Cider
  • 2 gallons Cold Water
  • 4 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary Leaves
  • 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1-1/2 cup Kosher Salt
  • 2 cups Brown Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons Peppercorns
  • 5 whole Bay Leaves
  • Peel Of Three Large Oranges

Preparation Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover.

Allow to cool completely, then pour into a large brining bag or pot. Place uncooked turkey in brine solution, then refrigerate for 16 to 24 hours.

When ready to roast turkey, remove turkey from brine. Submerge turkey in a pot or sink of fresh, cold water. Allow to sit in clean water for 15 minutes to remove excess salt from the outside.

Discard brine. Remove turkey from clean water, pat dry, and cook according to your normal roasting method.

Edited by Moonshine

When it comes poultry, the trick is that white meat needs to not get too cooked or it will dry out.  Dark meat needs to get cooked enough or it will be tough and stringy.  Brining keeps the breast from drying out while the dark meat gets cooked to done. I don't know how the rotisserie chicken guys at the store do it. 

165 or so is getting marginal for the white meat being dry in my opinion. 

It turned out pretty good! At least for my first time smoking a whole bird.  I decided to just inject with a little chicken broth and butter like Reinhard suggested.  It kept it on the moist side for sure, but could've been juicier. I erred on the side of caution and kept it on 'til 170 deg. so that might've had something to do with it.  It was a such a big bird that the smoke didn't penetrate very deep.  I think the next time I do a whole bird in the smoker, it's gonna be a smaller 3lb fryer.  This was a big, organic, farm-raised monster.  Still tasty, but once you got into the breast meat, you'd think it came out of the oven, not the smoker.

I rubbed it liberally with a recipe I found online, shot it up with the broth and smoked it at 250 with a mix of Apple and Hickory - it took about 6 hours to reach temp.  I took some of the leftover meat, the tail/spine/neck (after spatching) and some garden-fresh veggies and made a quick pot of soup that I threw in the freezer for winter as well.

Not bad at all, for my first time! If looks count for anything it was a home run :)

I think next time I will try Moonshine's brine recipe and use a smaller bird and see what difference it makes.  

20150829_174115_resized-2.thumb.jpg.8959

We also did a farm raised monster yesterday.  Shame on me but let the wife cook it in the oven. Not sure what it is but it seems like the farm raised ones turn out a little tougher than the smaller store bought birds, but they still are tasty. 

The bird turned out great.   I've done big birds also.  Brine overnight in buttermilk and injected it with butter and chicken broth.  Injected them during the smoking process also plus basted it with the butter/broth combo.  Overall I stick to smaller birds though.  If I need more I just smoke two of em.  good luck.

The bird turned out great.   I've done big birds also.  Brine overnight in buttermilk and injected it with butter and chicken broth.  Injected them during the smoking process also plus basted it with the butter/broth combo.  Overall I stick to smaller birds though.  If I need more I just smoke two of em.  good luck.

If the house next to you comes on the market, will you let me know? I wanna live next to you. :lol:

Brining  is a good idea.  Older birds are going to be tougher.  You can't compare them to those chickens and turkeys from the supermarket that are young birds. 

You need to get salt into the breast meat (I could post the explanation from cooks illustrated if folks are geeky enough to want it).  It does something to the protein to let it hold on to the water.  Otherwise it dries right out when it gets to like 170 or so. 

Turkeys from the store and some chicken is already brined via injection.  I bet those rotisserie chickens (yum) are too.