• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tomatoes

Mid-Lake Rock

Pretty  sure that is just cracking due to water and /or temperature fluctuations. Last month or so have had a lot of extended heat and most moisture came in big lump sums. Suppose your beefsteak was a little more sususceptible to what ever exact conditions that caused it.

"growth cracks"

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/vegetables/disorders-of-tomato/index.html#cracks

Growth cracks result from extremely rapid fruit growth. This may be brought on by periods of abundant rain and high temperatures, or can occur when water is suddenly available to the plant through rain or irrigation after a period of drought. Cracks may radiate from the stem end of the fruit or may encircle the fruit. Cracks are often invaded by secondary fungi and bacteria that further rot the fruit.

Maintaining even moisture by watering regularly and mulching the soil around the tomato plant can help reduce growth cracks. Varieties differ in susceptibility to cracking, and variety descriptions may be helpful in choosing a plant less likely to crack.

Yup. Like Del already said, too much water at a given time, that the 'mato's cannot handle, causing the ''stress cracks" from rapid expansion. Overwatering will do that. I water the same amount, at the same time every day,  (early am) and not for a day or two after heavy rains.I haven't had it happen to me in many years, fortunately. I did find the Beefsteak or bigger varieties, as vs the smaller "early girls'' type of varieties, seem to do it more. I learned that was my problem about 15 years ago...:crazy:

Edited by RebelSS

Man those are some beauties.. The Better Boys, Celebrities and La Roma's are hitting on all cylinders now here. They're getting some better flavor as we go. Not in the same league as roony's but definitely an improvement.Lots of Sweet 100's, grape and little yellow pear types as well. Time to get my I grow 'em you can 'em agreement with Auntie Mar Mar honored. :cool:  

Nothing special, bobber. It's on the N/NE side of the house, and gets sun all day where they are at, until about 5:00 PM, then they're in the shade. Nothing else planted by them, except a Peony bush about 10' away. Up against my chain link fence for "climbing". I bought the plant about 8-10" high, and sink it halfway up the stem into a hole that I have pushed a coffee can with the bottom cut about an inch into the ground. This kinda holds the water and keeps the young plant protected. I normally mix a bag of the Miracle Gro veggie soil in the ground before I plant. (Didn't this year) I water them every morning with about a 2 gal watering can, pouring it right over the top of the plant.That's all they get each day.  Skip the days when it rains. Every weekend I add a scoop of Miracle Gro plant food to the water.(couldn't find the Tomato Gro this year...I got started late) What's interesting, is that I almost cut this plant down...it got hit with a very, very slight bit of weed killer on the breeze (I think that's what it was) from stupid neighbor that took out the other one next to it. It was all wilted and curled up for weeks, all the blossoms fell off, then slowly made a great comeback. I plant this variety every year in the same spot, and I always have this kind of luck; really. It's a Bonnie Early Girl I get at Walmart. It's about 6' tall; it's really sagging over in the pic due to weight of 'mato's it's still full of. It's completely engulfed the tomato cage that's set over it, notice all the strings for support. That's all there is to it...I hope that helps! :)

PS...as of right now, pulled 69 'mato's off of it...:grin:

2qwet1v.jpg

Edited by RebelSS

With a wooden fence that high, and spraying weeds, your neighbor would have to not know what he's doing to get your plants. It's funny though, you proved most people wrong about changing spots year after year with mato plants. Keep it up and you'll make lots of farmer's markets  look bad..;)

Edited by bobberineyes

With a wooden fence that high, and spraying weeds, your neighbor would have to not know what he's doing to get your plants. It's funny though, you proved most people wrong about changing spots year after year with mato plants. Keep it up and you'll make lots of farmer's markets  look bad..;)

You haven't met my neighbor. Proof that the buffalo....er, never mind. :grin:  As for the same spot, they've been in that one for about ten years now. I know nothing about farming, except that corn is knee high by the fourth, and chocolate milk comes from brown cows. Maybe that's why I do so well. Only had one bad year, and I think it was due to over-watering. Never had a bug problem, and don't use any kind of sprays, with the exception of blossom set. Oh, you might try that.... 

Edited by RebelSS

Great stuff guys! That is a crazy yield.  Also find it interesting that ten years later, with no rotation, and no issues. Broke new ground this year and pretty much all of my crop is infected with some blighty type of something.......have about the opposite... normal to me set up though.....with 11 plants packed in a 32 square ft area.. Ultimately have a good yield, with almost no problem with the fruit, but the plant itself is suffering greatly. 4 of the 22 are already gone.

I wonder if the "rotation issue" is because I only put one plant there, or two about 15' apart? There is also a white pine tree 10' away, on the other side of that board fence. That is supposed to make it tough to grow tomato's,due to root competition and soil Ph. I always spade that area up good in the Fall after I yank the plant out, and as stated, mix in a bag of veggie soil in the Spring. Here's two Early Girls from year before last, in July, they were well over 6' tall. Ya, those are just 2 plants! They were a lot taller and spread out far more than this year...not nearly as "dense". Fence is a 6 footer. I record my yields every year on calendar's I keep, and it shows I pulled 172 tomatos off those two plants. Reading the descrip from Bonnie of their Early Girl, you'll  see it states each plant under perfect conditions can allegedly yield 300 'mato's.....!  Now that I find hard to believe...:whistle:  After hearing the tomato horror stories from my friends, I'm just very happy I've had such good luck, so far anyway. My luck usually runs the other way.

2wguk42.jpg

Bonnie descrip..

http://bonnieplants.com/product/early-girl-tomato/

Edited by RebelSS