• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Netflix vs Amazon Prime

eyeguy 54

I've had netflix for a little over a year and I have no first hand experience whatsoever with Amazon Prime but I recently was researching the same thing. The info I found was that Amazon Prime was still lagging in movies and shows. Netflix has more of that kind of content but Amazon Prime has streaming music, on demand type content that you have to pay extra for and the 2 day free shipping option.

The opinion I saw more often than not was that for the money, if you buy a lot of stuff from Amazon in a years time, it is worth it to have both.

I'm going to stick with Netflix for now because I don't trust my son not to purchase a lot of extra price content.

I have all three, Netflix, Hula plus and Prime. They all fill a niche. Prime does pay for itself with the free two day shipping I find myself ordering things that I don't needed right this minute and a few days will not make a difference. Like everything it pays to shop around. Prime does have some TV shows that you can't find on Hulu and Netflix. Hula fills in for daily TV and Netflix fills in the movie niche. I cut the cord awhile ago and don't miss at all having to schedule what I do around when a favorite program is going to be broadcast. If you watch you can add Prime when it is on promotion I think the last time it was offered at 72.00 for a year and you can cancel anytime and get a refund. Almost worth it just to watch Alpha House and Justified.

I have all three, Netflix, Hula plus and Prime. They all fill a niche. Prime does pay for itself with the free two day shipping I find myself ordering things that I don't needed right this minute and a few days will not make a difference. Like everything it pays to shop around. Prime does have some TV shows that you can't find on Hulu and Netflix. Hula fills in for daily TV and Netflix fills in the movie niche. I cut the cord awhile ago and don't miss at all having to schedule what I do around when a favorite program is going to be broadcast. If you watch you can add Prime when it is on promotion I think the last time it was offered at 72.00 for a year and you can cancel anytime and get a refund. Almost worth it just to watch Alpha House and Justified.

I would love to do this and get rid of cable but I like sports too much frown

Sports is a problem, twins have been in the tank so that was no loss, besides I think baseball is a game that is better on radio then TV. Football and the local college hockey I can get on the antenna, would love to watch the Wild but the NHL ticket cost to much.. Still better then paying the cable bill though!

We have Netflix and Amzaon. I find myself watching Netflix 90% of the time. Prime is really only good for the HBO content that is unavailable on Netflix.

One thing to consider that hasn't been mentioned is that I find streaming through Prime to be a little slower. I use the Wii to connect and the Prime app on the Wii is terrible compared to Netflix. Its much slower to load and less well organized. I also find that I have more interruptions in streaming when using the Amazon.

We have Prime mainly for the 2day shipping since the wife uses it a lot for our random everyday purchases like laundry detergent, stuff for the kid, etc. We probably have something showing up at the door 2-3 days a week. If it weren't for that I wouldn't waste the money on Prime video.

We have Netflix and Prime. Like others have mentioned, we watch primarily Netflix, although my kids seem to prefer Prime. If Prime only included streaming video, it wouldn't be worth it, but when you add in 2 day shipping, Prime Music, and Prime Photos (online photo backup) it gets to be a pretty good value, especially if you can snag it during a promotional period at $72/yr ($6/month). I think there's a Kindle library you can use with Prime as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

I haven't noticed much difference between the two as far as stream quality, speed to load, etc. is concerned. On the Roku I prefer the Netflix app by far, but on the PS3 the Prime app is pretty good. Much better than on the Roku anyway.

Yes you can rent a book, the price of Prime (6.00 a month) covers the cost of buying a paperback if you want to look at it that way and you have a kindle or a tablet. I have the HD 7 and it is slick, the daughter manages to get the free book a month before I can. I do like the feel of still reading a book and turning pages so I do buy a lot of used books through amazon, the free shipping makes buying books that much cheaper. Most of the time I buy hardcover books cheaper then paperbacks.

One thing to keep in mind with Prime is that you only get the free 2-day shipping on Amazon items. Stuff from 3rd party vendors does not qualify. I find that more than half of what I buy on Amazon is being sold & shipped by a 3rd party, so factor that into your decision.

Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all offer 30-day trials. I've been trying Amazon and Netflix this past month. Netflix is hands-down better in terms of availability, except as someone noted about HBO on Amazon. The one thing that I hate about Amazon is that you have to seek out the free stuff, as the majority of shows and movies cost money.

One thing to keep in mind with Prime is that you only get the free 2-day shipping on Amazon items. Stuff from 3rd party vendors does not qualify. I find that more than half of what I buy on Amazon is being sold & shipped by a 3rd party, so factor that into your decision.

Good to know.

We have Netflix, Hulu, and we are currently trying out Prime. I like all three, but told the other half that we are only keeping two, otherwise we might as well go back to cable. We cut the cord a while back and I will agree that the sports side of things is the only thing that I miss from having cable.