• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best all around tire

So, as old man winter gets closer to visiting, I find myself realizing I need new tires. I drive a crew cab 1/2 ton 4x4 truck. Currently have Bridgestone dueler revo 2's on it. Which I liked quite a bit. But been lookin into cooper discoverer at3's. Now here's the nitty gritty. I want the best tire I can put on it. All seasons. 50+ mile warranty. Definitely gotta be good in snow, and worth a darn on ice. Absolutely no Goodyear products. That's a long story I don't want to get into. What do you guys have the best luck with?

I am admittedly odd. Since I know my vehicles will go through two sets of tires in its lifetime, I like to run an ice-n-snow tire on steel or cheap rims in the winter and use the all season/long wearing tire in the summer. That way I get the best of both worlds. This solution may not fit all. The drawbacks of this approach are paying for the second set of tires (rims) earlier, having to switch them out twice per year, and having storage space for them. There is no beating an ice-n-snow tire in the winter. Check the clist for used winter rubber and rims too.

Stepson has the at3's on chev 1/2 ton crew, since last fall. That was two North Dakota duck trips, and winter on the ice. Went fine in NoDak, but it was dry this year so no probs with any tires. We had him pull my shack off (big wide shack on skids, he had newest tires!) last Feb., when the road was drifted over and slushy in spots. Truck did great and had good traction. He drives it daily and likes the tires. I will likely get these on my truck when I need them again, especially when FF has the FF card and the Cooper rebates going.

I do have some off brand MultiMile Wild Country XTX (load range D) on half ton that I really like and have been great for me, wearing great, very good traction. I would get these again, or the at3's whichever is best price. I won't pay the big money for the spendy popular brands, did that once and wasn't happy with price or tire.

Good luck.

That tire would be the Michelin LTX m/s

6 Years / 60,000 Miles warranty but expect to go at least 80,000 with Regular tire rotation

After much research these are the tires I decided to go with a couple of years ago. I went to them from the Dueler ATs and it was like I was driving a brand new truck. I could not be happier with them and expect to get about 80k miles on them. I rotate with each oil change (about 2X per year).

Another Michelin LTX m/s lover on my 2004 Silverado Crew Cab Z71. The stock tires (don't remember what they were) gave me 40,000-45,000 miles. The first set of Michelins gave 80,000 and still had some tread left but were getting weather-checked. Have ~45,000 on the second set.

Last year I put them on my trailblazer right before deer season. I remember because I bought some cover scent and some estrus while I was waiting. If you don't mind applying for a credit card, I also did the FF credit card and got another 10 (or 15?) percent off all purchases that day, and really made out well. Last year it was like

$80 cooper rebate

$50 FF

10% off due to FF credit card application (and this was before the $130 from above)

So it was pretty good deal.

I just checked the cooper site and it looks like right now they have $70 back (last year was $80 I think) thru Oct 31. And the have the $50 card going now as well, for getting 4 tires, of several brands. Their alignment price was good too if you need that. Good luck!

I have cooper discoverer at3 on my truck now since last fall. They are good overall except in snow on a frozen lake. My last set were Michelin ltx and I already know my next set will be Michelin's as soon as these discoverers are worn out.

I had the CTS Coopers on an 08 Sierra. Very quiet, handled nice, fair traction on snow and ice, wore ok. I wouldn't go with them again as they just weren't good enough on the lakes in the winter.

My Tundra has Hankook Dynapros. Great winter traction and still quiet. Seem to wear well too. Only had them a year, so time will tell.

I think Im going with the CTS as I don't travel on lakes much anymore and put more road miles on my suburban in the summer than in the winter. With the discounts at ff the coopers are a pretty good deal. If this was my main driver I would look at others. Ive had great luck with michelans in the past but they aren't cheap.

I'm in need of a new set of tires also. I called a local dealer that is known for good tire prices. They quoted me for the Michelin ltx m/s $880.84 for everything out the door. 265/70 R17 sound like a good price to you Michelin guys?

luckydog,

I wish I could remember what I paid, but I can't. I do know that after quite a bit of checking around in my area, Sam's Club was the best price. My fiancé's father owns a mechanic shop and Sam's price was lower than his cost. Your price doesn't seem too bad, though.

After talking with my tire guy last year, he recommended the Hercules Terra Trac AT II, it is a redesigned cooper AT3 with an improved tread and more siping. I went with a set last year and have been very impressed. Price was great too.

Thanks for all of the good feedback. Threw a new player into the mix, hankook dynapro ATM rf10. Anybody know pros and cons here? I do like the michelins, but I kinda want an aggressive sidewall as well, for being off the beaten path.

I'm in need of a new set of tires also. I called a local dealer that is known for good tire prices. They quoted me for the Michelin ltx m/s $880.84 for everything out the door. 265/70 R17 sound like a good price to you Michelin guys?

I just checked the Costco price for you. That price beats Costco even with the current $70 "instant rebate" sale. Especially if it includes the sales tax, then it beats by quite a bit.

Costco was 829 for 4 but adds $15 installation per tire and and sales tax.

I have cooper discoverer at3 on my truck now since last fall. They are good overall except in snow on a frozen lake. My last set were Michelin ltx and I already know my next set will be Michelin's as soon as these discoverers are worn out.

I agree. I've had the Cooper Discoverer at3s on for about 1.5 years and they are nice tires, however below average in snow and ice IMO. They spin with even a slight throttle in the snow. Treadlife and noise quality are good. They are one of the better looking tires out there.

Thanks Delcecchi, that price was everything included. Not a far drive for you if you need a set!

That price is good until the 31st.

In Rochester I presume, not Hackensack. My tires are good, it is the rest of the car that is getting a little old. I don't think I will get 80k out of this set of Michelins (From Rochester Ford a couple years ago). Car will be gone long before that.