• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rutting Reports

I didn't see a topic covering deer behavior, so let's start one here. Maybe state what you seeing out there? And where your at?

NW WI -superior

Not seeing much chasing yet, but the deer signs are starting to come out. Looking forward to sticking out all weekend after being laid up with post wisdom teeth surgury"

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had several does and 2 different bucks on my field last night. Neither cared the other was there and bucks were still together.Two weeks ago I found the first territorial scrapes of the year along field edge. Then this weekend I saw 3 more territorial scrapes on Sunday around the field edge. Taz

Pulled my camera card last week and had some pictures of young bucks locked up. From the pics it didn't look like anything really too intense, just some light sparring. Have noticed tho that they bucks have broken up and are no single instead of bachelor groups. Set a mock scrape up with a dripper above it, came back two days later and there was a scrape made next to it not 5 yards away. Walking into my stand last night I found another scrape on the field edge. Seems like the activity is starting to heat up!!!

I will finally get back out after 8 days at work. Brother has been out off and on, last night lots of young bucks in the field had two sets pushing each other around he said it was fairly serious, but he is on 17 so I assume they are testing more than anything, he did say a little buck was harrassing a doe for a few minutes two nights ago. Few scrapes popping up also. Other brother seen a ok 8 pt go right to a small basket and kinda push him around. All i got at this point, hoping so stick one this week.

Sat over the weekend and didn't see a deer nor did I see any sign. Maybe the weather being so mild they just weren't on the move? Anyway, took some time and did a little scouting and hopefully will find a better spot for next weekend. Like fishing, if I don't catch anything in a spot, I move.. Any one else have better news?

A friend in Duluth reported "hearing" a buck battle. Said not just tickling, but a full out battle.

I saw some decent doe movement Saturday evening (mornings were pretty dead) but late. Very late. I'm sure the bright moon is having an effect.

Sat over the weekend and didn't see a deer nor did I see any sign. Maybe the weather being so mild they just weren't on the move? Anyway, took some time and did a little scouting and hopefully will find a better spot for next weekend. Like fishing, if I don't catch anything in a spot, I move.. Any one else have better news?

My brother inlaw and I had the same experience as you this past weekend. We hunted hard all weekend on 1400 acres of secluded public land (hardly any pressure) and neither of us seen a deer. We set up in oak ridges near swamps with lots of fresh deer trails and beds, butnot much for rubs or scrapes. We were curious if the lack of sightings was due to the moon, the south winds or just plain cruddy spots. Each day driving to and from our hunting location we would see a few deer moving out of the corn field/ditch. Which made us wonder if it was a combination of above reasons. With the bright moon maybe the deer were only really on the move at night, are people now seeing deer feeding in ag fields rather than the oaks, and with corn fields not yet harvested could they be bedding there rather than swamps??? Thoughts?

Have had tough hunting the past 4 trips out now, have not seen one deer in a woods I typically see numerous deer in a setting. It's like they just said no more and this woods is not pressured at all.

Checked out the trail camera where my granddaughter will hunt starting this Thursday and it only had 3 nighttime pics in the last week. This camera has been up since late April with on average 15 photos per day until approx. 10 days ago. Not sure if the full moon had something to do with it or the corn filed next to the woods is holding all the deer and they simply are not moving much at all day or night.

It has not been hunted at all and there is almost zero traffic in the small woods except for me checking the trail camera so they have not been pressured out of the area, they simply stopped using it lately.

Both of these woods have went to almost zero deer activity and they typically are very good spots all fall through shotgun season. maybe they will move back in hopefully and soon.

On the other hand, had a buddy tell me he watched 2 smaller bucks chasing a doe pretty hard.

I'm just starting to see a few more deer now and scrapes and rubs. I was blanked until the last couple weeks.

Heading to Nebraska this weekend so hoping things start to go. I know the scrapes are starting to go more and few buddies are getting pictures of them on scrapes. All things should be getting better each day now.

Sat for a couple of hours tonight. Had a nice little 8 point come down the trail heading towards my mock scrape, watched him stop and work the real scrape that was about 5 yards short, worked it over a bit and then head off into the woods and work his way off towards the ag fields. Right at last light had a nice doe come in broadside at 19 yards. Let her walk, but one of these nights the temptation is going to get to me!

The field I hunt for the last 12 years has been on and off. Last nite the corn came off the nite before and I counted 15 deer two of which were bucks. Best nite I have ever had out there for numbers. As the deer moved out I was hoping to get out with out being caught and almost made it. There was a buck not ten yards from my stand in the woods. Oh well. Cant wait for the rut! Found two small scrapes

The deer are still moving, not sure when you guys refer to the lull as not seeing mature bucks or any deer.

Tuesday night I saw 6-8 deer by my tree, and another 20+ a half mile over.

Had a 130in ten pt at about ten yards on Saturday night, he was on his feet at about 6pm, but he never went into the field, he instead choose to walk the drainage ditch and mess around. Yet there was six does in the field.

Right now corn in where its at, it is all standing, but my better spots all have corn.

Its is hard to get any type of pattern either, the farmers are combines and plowing with in days that may also play into tough hunting.

I have never seen a lull in action where I hunt, but they surely are in the process of moving around and changing.

Brother is out tonight and had a small one chasing a doe at 4:30pm, they are on their feet with this front pushing in.

On my way into work tonight, which is 5 nights a week at 1100 PM. I saw 4 bucks and three doe all feeding in the grass field by my house. All just interested in eating, didnt seem to be interested in each other.

I was out Friday night and had tons of action. I jumped 2 does walking to my stand at 3pm. Within an hour I had 2 spikes/forks pushing each other around and chasing a couple does then the 2 big boys came out and pushed the little guys away. The big boys eyed each other up but no action between them. They did a little chasing of the does and slowly walked away together. This all happened before 5:30. I saw 18 Friday night nothing shootable.

I went out last night also and had a decent 6 come out with a doe and stuck by her side for probably and hour and left with her. I saw 6 last night nothing shootable.