• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Peterson Indicted for Child Abuse

LMITOUT

AP & vikings should both sue NFL offices

AP for them breaching the prenegotiated deal

And...

Vikings for Goodell hog tying AP's contract and not letting the Vikings have a chance to move him during free agency.

Goodell cares about 1 thing, sponsorship $$$$, he has constantly made the rules up as he sees fit since the ray rice issue and has now gond over the deep end for a misdemeaner that has no jail time associated with it but he has the power/authority to stall this, it should be on supreme court desk. By midnight tomorrow. Rog cannot be judge, jury, & executioner by himself. Ridiculous and pathetic power struggle.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy did the NFL try to flex their muscles.

AP "skips" disciplinary meeting, when in reality he wasnt going to and he notified them so what did he "skip?"

AP releases statement, pretty much discrediting any additional punishment because of the CBA

Roger then pumps his chest, says "oh yeah AP, now whos boss" sits down with his team, writes a letter that anybody with more than 2 brain cells can see was done in a way to back him into a corner and make the league look like they care. Roger went for the juggler on that one. Publicly shaming AP into submission..... Well NFL, good job at putting this behind you, its going to get even worse. He'll appeal, there will be a huge backlash from the players association, NFL will look bad.

How can you release a letter like that acting like youre all high and mighty and do it all the right way when you try to cover up the Rice deal. I wasnt upset at the league or Roger or anything up until I read the press release letter this morning and it wasnt because AP wasnt coming back, it was the hypocrisy that got me sour.

AP got off pretty easy.

Here is the Texas rules on Child Abuse. The sentencing guidelines are on towards the bottom.

Quote:
TEXAS

V.T.C.A., Penal Code § 22.04 (2013). Injury to a Child, Elderly

Individual, or Disabled Individual

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, or with

criminal negligence, by act or intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly by omission, causes

to a child, elderly individual, or disabled individual:

(1) serious bodily injury;

(2) serious mental deficiency, impairment, or injury; or

(3) bodily injury.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person is an owner, operator, or employee of a

group home, nursing facility, assisted living facility, intermediate care facility for persons

with mental retardation, or other institutional care facility and the person intentionally,

knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence by omission causes to a child, elderly

individual, or disabled individual who is a resident of that group home or facility:

(1) serious bodily injury;

(2) serious mental deficiency, impairment, or injury; or

(3) bodily injury.

(B) An omission that causes a condition described by Subsection (a)(1), (2), or (3) or (a-

1)(1), (2), or (3) is conduct constituting an offense under this section if:

(1) the actor has a legal or statutory duty to act; or

(2) the actor has assumed care, custody, or control of a child, elderly individual, or

disabled individual.

© In this section:

(1) “Child” means a person 14 years of age or younger.

(2) “Elderly individual” means a person 65 years of age or older. National Center for Prosecution of Child Abuse

National District Attorneys Association

http://www.ndaa.org/ncpca_state_statutes.html 183

(3) “Disabled individual” means a person older than 14 years of age who by reason of age

or physical or mental disease, defect, or injury is substantially unable to protect himself

from harm or to provide food, shelter, or medical care for himself.

(4) Repealed by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., ch. 620 (S.B. 688), § 11.

(d) For purposes of an omission that causes a condition described by Subsection (a)(1),

(2), or (3), the actor has assumed care, custody, or control if he has by act, words, or

course of conduct acted so as to cause a reasonable person to conclude that he has

accepted responsibility for protection, food, shelter, and medical care for a child, elderly

individual, or disabled individual. For purposes of an omission that causes a condition

described by Subsection (a-1)(1), (2), or (3), the actor acting during the actor's capacity as

owner, operator, or employee of a group home or facility described by Subsection (a-1) is

considered to have accepted responsibility for protection, food, shelter, and medical care

for the child, elderly individual, or disabled individual who is a resident of the group

home or facility.

(e) An offense under Subsection (a)(1) or (2) or (a-1)(1) or (2) is a felony of the first

degree when the conduct is committed intentionally or knowingly. When the conduct is

engaged in recklessly, the offense is a felony of the second degree.

(f) An offense under Subsection (a)(3) or (a-1)(3) is a felony of the third degree when the

conduct is committed intentionally or knowingly, except that an offense under Subsection

(a)(3) is a felony of the second degree when the conduct is committed intentionally or

knowingly and the victim is a disabled individual residing in a center, as defined by

Section 555.001, Health and Safety Code, or in a facility licensed under Chapter 252,

Health and Safety Code, and the actor is an employee of the center or facility whose

employment involved providing direct care for the victim. When the conduct is engaged

in recklessly, the offense is a state jail felony.

(g) An offense under Subsection (a) is a state jail felony when the person acts with

criminal negligence. An offense under Subsection (a-1) is a state jail felony when the

person, with criminal negligence and by omission, causes a condition described by

Subsection (a-1)(1), (2), or (3).

(h) A person who is subject to prosecution under both this section and another section of

this code may be prosecuted under either or both sections. Section 3.04 does not apply to

criminal episodes prosecuted under both this section and another section of this code. If a

criminal episode is prosecuted under both this section and another section of this code

and sentences are assessed for convictions under both sections, the sentences shall run

concurrently.National Center for Prosecution of Child Abuse

http://www.ndaa.org/ncpca_state_statutes.html 184

(i) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under Subsection (B)(2) that before the

offense the actor:

(1) notified in person the child, elderly individual, or disabled individual that he would no

longer provide any of the care described by Subsection (d); and

(2) notified in writing the parents or person other than himself acting in loco parentis to

the child, elderly individual, or disabled individual that he would no longer provide any

of the care described by Subsection (d); or

(3) notified in writing the Department of Protective and Regulatory Services that he

would no longer provide any of the care set forth in Subsection (d).

(j) Written notification under Subsection (i)(2) or (i)(3) is not effective unless it contains

the name and address of the actor, the name and address of the child, elderly individual,

or disabled individual, the type of care provided by the actor, and the date the care was

discontinued.

(k) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the act or omission consisted of:

(1) reasonable medical care occurring under the direction of or by a licensed physician; or

(2) emergency medical care administered in good faith and with reasonable care by a

person not licensed in the healing arts.

(l) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section:

(1) that the act or omission was based on treatment in accordance with the tenets and

practices of a recognized religious method of healing with a generally accepted record of

efficacy;

(2) for a person charged with an act of omission causing to a child, elderly individual, or

disabled individual a condition described by Subsection (a)(1), (2), or (3) that:

(A) there is no evidence that, on the date prior to the offense charged, the defendant was

aware of an incident of injury to the child, elderly individual, or disabled individual and

failed to report the incident; and

(B) the person: National Center for Prosecution of Child Abuse

http://www.ndaa.org/ncpca_state_statutes.html 185

(i) was a victim of family violence, as that term is defined by Section 71.004, Family

Code, committed by a person who is also charged with an offense against the child,

elderly individual, or disabled individual under this section or any other section of this

title;

(ii) did not cause a condition described by Subsection (a)(1), (2), or (3); and

(iii) did not reasonably believe at the time of the omission that an effort to prevent the

person also charged with an offense against the child, elderly individual, or disabled

individual from committing the offense would have an effect; or

(3) that:

(A) the actor was not more than three years older than the victim at the time of the

offense; and

(B) the victim was a child at the time of the offense.

V.T.C.A., Penal Code § 12.32 (2013). First Degree Felony Punishment

(a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the first degree shall be punished by

imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for life or for any term of not

more than 99 years or less than 5 years.

(B) In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the first

degree may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

V.T.C.A., Penal Code § 12.33 (2013). Second Degree Felony Punishment

(a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the second degree shall be punished by

imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for any term of not more than

20 years or less than 2 years.

(B) In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the second

degree may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

V.T.C.A., Penal Code § 12.34 (2013). Third Degree Felony Punishment

(a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree shall be punished by

imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for any term of not more than

10 years or less than 2 years

Source

Talks with Peterson's reps and the Goodall should have been kept private.

Instead one day after AP's sentence they ask for reinstatement and make it public.

Did AP's lawyers really think the league was going to say one day after the sentencing "you can play now". So now AP's camp publicly makes threats against the league. Smart move, push some more and the NFL will dig it's heels in even more.

Diplomacy folks, give your opponent the opportunity to see things your way and still save face.

full-831-51289-patmyselfontheback.jpg

smile

Personally they should make a stand with Peterson and Rice and show zero tolerance to domestic abuse and ban them both. See ya, keep your hands off women and children you morons.

Banning someone for life that had zero previous priors and charged with a misdemeanor is insane and ridiculous.

The Vikings are now in a very difficult spot if they want to trade him. He is suspended until April 15. League business begins March 15. That means that teams will be signing free agents for a month before the Vikings can try to arrange a trade. Most teams make their major moves within a week. The number of possible suitors for AP will definitely decline in that one month window.

Domestic violence under the NEW policy is a 6 game suspension. It's not clear that he'd be punished under the new poicy, since this happened before that policy was instated. Even if he is, he's already been out 8 games. I've read reports that indicate that a case COULD be made that if he pays a 6-game suspension worth of fine, that the fine along with his 8 missed games would constitute the requisite sentence.

Not in any way defending what he did, but seriously a full year suspension and 15 mil in salary or whatever that comes out to be is a BIG punishment in this league. That's what, 2.5 times what they recommend under their new "tougher" 6-week domestic violence policy (which wasn't in place when said event took place), and twice as long as the aforementioned Leonard Little with convicted manslaughter offenses. LOL. Talk about making it up as they go.

That's what, 2.5 times what they recommend under their new "tougher" 6-week domestic violence policy (which wasn't in place when said event took place), and twice as long as the aforementioned Leonard Little with convicted manslaughter offenses. LOL. Talk about making it up as they go.

Josh Brent of the Cowboys is another interesting case study. His second drunk driving incident resulted in the death of his teammate. He then goes on to fail two drug tests. 10 game suspension.

By NFL standards, AP would probably be back on the field if he got hammered put the kid in his car and the boy was injured or killed.

I would prefer the NFL let him play the final six games with an agreement that he incur a large fine that is paid directly to an organization that works with victims of domestic violence.

Actually I guess I should clarify -- my opinion of the severity of his punishment really depends on whether he does indeed have to pay back the salary that he was pulling in while on the exemption list. I've read that he was given a "one year" suspension in some places, which would imply he has to pay it back (as a poster above suggested as well)... but I've also read that he has been suspended "the rest of the year without pay" -- which sort of implies that he doesn't have to pay it back.

If he doesn't have to pay it back, then I don't really have quite as big of a grumble going on here. I say he just got the easiest 10 game salary ever, and 6 game suspension (which basically matches their new guidelines).

Good luck to him next year. He'll be playing somewhere, I bet for a salary less than 1/2 of what he was scheduled to make.

In the longrun, this is probably the best thing for the vikes financially, as I said in an earlier post. If he had been a model citizen and father, they would have been somewhat stuck paying that huge contract, or something close to it, or face some HUGE fan backlash if they had released him to save a few bucks. I would have felt like the vikings were WAY overpaying him next year. So financially, this is good for the team. Now they can spend that money on other players.

sorry I don't have one ounce of sympathy for big bad guys that can beet up on women and children. If it wasn't in the south it wouldn't have been a misdemeanor. He drew blood in several locations, and broke the skin on his scrotum. Not to mention his "whipping room". Do you really think he's changed? He's a street thug who can run.

It has nothing to do with sympathy. Its all about what is "right and proper punishment" inaccordance with current NFLPA agreement and what the NFL has handed down as softer punishment in past to others who have done a lot worse. Goodell is at this point making policy up as he goes and that is completely illegal.

Goodell is such a fraud and is in way over his head.

Is he really???

Pretty certain that he has brought the NFL to epic status compared to all the other pro sports combined. Truly amazing how much cash pro football is generating since he became commissioner. He laid low and the Vikings handled it from the beginning, then once this was all settled with the court Peterson acted like a douche. So when Goddell came in and sent him away for the final 6 games it is really in line with the policy.

Who cares, as fun as he is to watch Peterson is still just a RB, and a RB is not gonna win you a title anymore.

This entire thing is all about perception.The NFL is plain and simple covering their behinds.Nothing more....To me it is simply a matter of what is a reasonable punishment for Peterson?.....Of course he is guilty of whipping his son, and, should be made to pay, HOWEVER, this is being treated by some as tho a crippling injury happened , or a limb was severed intentionally.....Peterson is quilty as charged , so let the punishment fit the crime.......He should be playing football again soon.

I wonder if the vikings have an insurance policy that will reimburse them for the $$ they've payed to Peterson this year or if they just eat all that cost. Not that it helps from a cap perspective or anything, but you know that 12 million bucks could go a long ways toward putting bird-safe glass in the new stadium smile

This entire thing is all about perception.The NFL is plain and simple covering their behinds.Nothing more....To me it is simply a matter of what is a reasonable punishment for Peterson?.....Of course he is guilty of whipping his son, and, should be made to pay, HOWEVER, this is being treated by some as tho a crippling injury happened , or a limb was severed intentionally.....Peterson is quilty as charged , so let the punishment fit the crime.......He should be playing football again soon.

The "punishment that fits the crime" is open to personal perception and opinion. Perhaps the NFL/Vikings don't want to employ that kind of person. What bothers me and a lot of people I have talked to about this was his nonchalant way of dealing with this. It came off as "so I beat my kid with a stick what is the big deal".

I know some have said that is they way he was raised. That don't cut it. That would say that being a racist bigot is OK because your dad was. That thinking is just isn't OK in today's society.

Actually I guess I should clarify -- my opinion of the severity of his punishment really depends on whether he does indeed have to pay back the salary that he was pulling in while on the exemption list. I've read that he was given a "one year" suspension in some places, which would imply he has to pay it back (as a poster above suggested as well)... but I've also read that he has been suspended "the rest of the year without pay" -- which sort of implies that he doesn't have to pay it back.

If he doesn't have to pay it back, then I don't really have quite as big of a grumble going on here. I say he just got the easiest 10 game salary ever, and 6 game suspension (which basically matches their new guidelines).

Good luck to him next year. He'll be playing somewhere, I bet for a salary less than 1/2 of what he was scheduled to make.