• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

All over the yard what is it?

leech~~

We have lived in the same house for about 28 years and have never seen this before but it is all over the yard. I don't think it is Maple shoots like I first thought? confused

full-27051-45883-img_0981.jpg

full-27051-45884-img_0982.jpg

Not expert but it looks like some kind of tree seed, notice the "seed leaves" on the top picture. Looks almost like some sort of aspen from the leaves. I think mowing will kill it, or you could let one grow to see what it ends up being.

Too early for maple, they haven't seeded yet at least here. Cottonwood? What kind of trees in the area that would have covered your lawn with seeds?

Not expert but it looks like some kind of tree seed, notice the "seed leaves" on the top picture. Looks almost like some sort of aspen from the leaves. I think mowing will kill it, or you could let one grow to see what it ends up being.

Too early for maple, they haven't seeded yet at least here. Cottonwood? What kind of trees in the area that would have covered your lawn with seeds?

Only have Maple and a Oak tree in the yard. No Aspen or Cottonwood anywhere around the area.

We've got a lot of Maples sprouting up in the western burbs, all over the lawn. The first petals look exactly like your pics but my leaves are a little different. Are the maples in your area silver maples as I think that may be what you have?

Certainly appear to be maple or acer seedlings of some kind. They don't look quite like the silver maple seedlings we have here but that's one of the problems: there are probably different biotypes. We have two very different appearing silver maples and the only similarity is both drop branches like dogs shed hair. grin At any rate, mowing them off over the course of the season should take the seedlings out as will many of the lawn herbicide treatments.

We do have Silvers and one red maple, but these leaf's just don't seem to have the same cut as a maple seedling below? Again we have had the place with the same maple trees for about 28 years and have never seen anything like this? I guess we will be mowing and treating the lawn to try and get rid of it but would like to find out what it is? confused

full-27051-45889-images.jpg

If my Norway maples in Rochester are an indication, the seeds will not be coming down for another week or two. They are not quite full size and still green.

Do silver maples go to seed earlier?

Those don't look like leaves of maple seedling to me. Let one grow and find out. Then let us know, I am curious.

We've got a lot of Maples sprouting up in the western burbs, all over the lawn. The first petals look exactly like your pics but my leaves are a little different. Are the maples in your area silver maples as I think that may be what you have?

Everywhere! Some lawns it is like a carpet of them all the way across.

These are seeds that are in the ground from last year. These are simply maple tree seedlings. Mow them away. Nothing to be concerned about. I have two silver maples in my yard and they do this every year.

I'm not sure those are maples, but it kind of doesn't matter. If you don't want them, mow them. All will be fine with the world.

I'm not sure those are maples, but it kind of doesn't matter. If you don't want them, mow them. All will be fine with the world.

Oh right, so you know my wife then! It sure seems to be the end of the world at my house! eekgrin

Between the ash, dogwood, red cedar, maples and boxelders we get lots of tree seedlings in the yard. The squirrels and striped gophers appear to have a hand in the latter two. Toss in a few oak and black walnut seedlings they plant and there's no telling what might be growing in our lawn. We haven't sprayed for many moons so mowing as Powerstroke said must take care of the problem. Otherwise the yard would look like The Big Woods! smile

I noticed these everyone under my silver maple this year, first time they've been this thick in 7 years in my yard. Hoping they die off after I mow them a couple times. Glad its not creeping charlie, got that under control!

I noticed these everyone under my silver maple this year, first time they've been this thick in 7 years in my yard. Hoping they die off after I mow them a couple times. Glad its not creeping charlie, got that under control!

Yes 7 years ago they were horrible too. Like powerstroke said mowing over them a couple times should get rid of the ones in the lawn. For the flower beds you may want to spray them with round up or they may stick around for a while....

Going to go out on a limb here (pun intended) and guess leech has one of any number of cultivars of Norway maple. Check out the pic in the original post on this link to Dave's Garden:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1087807/

The aforementioned rules still apply as far as controlling them. They are also considered an invasive species by the DNR.

Going to go out on a limb here (pun intended) and guess leech has one of any number of cultivars of Norway maple. Check out the pic in the original post on this link to Dave's Garden:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1087807/

The aforementioned rules still apply as far as controlling them. They are also considered an invasive species by the DNR.

Dotch you and others maybe right but, like I said I have never ever seen them this bad. Mow is the way to go! wink

I'm starting to see a pattern here. I have the same thing going on and they are all in the proximity of a maple tree in my boulevard. We have lived in our house for 21 years and have never seen anything like it.