• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I knew this day was coming

2thepointsetters

My youngest setter Chili has been sick for 2 months and we knew it wasn't good. I can't seem to find the right words but I was to able to write this

Rest in peace Chili

March 22, 2008 - April 29, 2014

Chili, affectionately known as "Beans" to us, will be deeply missed both at home and in the field. She was well known for her crazy attitude and her big running hunting style. She taught us that there is a lot more to hunting than actually bagging the game we are after. When she pointed and retrieved her first pheasant in North Dakota it brought tears to my eyes and I still think about it often because of all the work we did together to get to that point. She was always very proud of her birds, she would walk along side us and carry the pheasant all the way to the truck if she got the chance.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

full-14148-45177-image.jpg

Sorry for your loss. I put Jasmine my black lab down last April. It is tough and didnt think I wanted a dog again but adopted one this past January from a member on here and its been great having a lab around again.....

She was diagnosed with protein losing enteropathy. When she didn't respond to treatment we brought her to the U of MN vet. When they scanned her before removing fluid from her stomach they found a possible blood clot in her heart. She made it two weeks before the clot went to her lungs and she was gone instantly.

Here is cool pic of her from a couple years ago.

full-14148-45258-chili.jpg

I was able to take her on a one half block a week or so ago and she pointed a pigeon. I never thought it would be the last time I saw her locked up. In the pic you can see how she was filling up with fluid in the stomach area.

full-14148-45259-chili2.jpg

My sympathies as well. Just went thru it to with a 9 year old yellow that had a tumer on his liver. I realize they are just pets and temporary but we all get so stinking attached to them and when the day comes it just sucks. Sorry man I feel your pain.

MAJOR bummer!!! Sorry for your loss. I just came to this section to say I am back in the game (new pup coming in June), then saw your post. So sorry. Beautiful dog.

I have never heard of that affliction before. Is it common? Breed specific? Anything? I had a mysterious illness kill one of my GSPs a number of years ago. Never received a diagnosis. Multiple cancer tests, surgeries (at the UofM) and the only thing they said it was some sort of infection. No idea what.

Only a dog can make a rainy day bright and sunny! One of life's cruelties is they are not with us long enough.

Interesting how we know the day we bring the dog into our life that days like you just had are bound to come, but we willingly do it anyway.

Hang in there. Being an avid outdoor guy you probably already know the best thing for healing is getting a new pup. I have been through several labs. We lost our yellow, Rocco, last spring. I cried harder than I ever have in my life. The pain was horrible. I told the vet that I was done with dogs, it's too much to take. He smiled and said, naaah, give it some time, you'll get another. He was right. Jaxson is 10 months old and brings complete joy to our family. He will be chasing snows in Saskatchewan with us this fall. Let the grieving process take it's course, but when the time comes, step back up to the plate and get a "green horn" to chase them roosters. Take care. BC

Sorry for your loss 2 the point, losing a family member/hunting partner is very difficult. It looks like you found a special way to memorialize Chilli!!!

Thank you. I love the boat name except everytime I tell somebody the story about the name I get tears in my eyes. Hopefully it gets easier to talk about.

Nothing worse than that feeling. Went through it years ago, and know I'll have to say goodbye to jaedyn, my golden retriever someday. She is 4.5, so I hope she has many more. Since day one she has been a part of the family, not a pet. Like others have mentioned, a new pup will definitely bring new beginnings!!

Isn't it amazing how we can have such emotional ties with a dog? Maybe if they didn't develope such amazing personalities and loyalty, it'd be easier to say goodbye