• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It only takes one.

Orlip

what if its been a week or more since you've been and plan on moving, or have sat on the same hole for weeks. what then?? cut a bigger hole all the way around just to push in the block??

If I know that I am going to move the next time out and the hole is open from spearing, I will stuff the blocks back in the hole and leave the house over the hole that way it is marked and it will have time to freeze up then when I move the house I still mark the hole with a branch.

If the hole is froze up I will smash up the blocks into small pieces and mark that spot with a branch to be on the safe side.

If I know that I am going to move the next time out and the hole is open from spearing, I will stuff the blocks back in the hole and leave the house over the hole that way it is marked and it will have time to freeze up then when I move the house I still mark the hole with a branch.

If the hole is froze up I will smash up the blocks into small pieces and mark that spot with a branch to be on the safe side.

That's my practice as well and I typically break up more blocks in a year then I pull out. Even when I do all I can there is usually a sizable drift and a mound of frozen slush from clearing the hole after I move.

That being said the bigger issue is irresponsible travel on the lake. I've never hit a thing while traveling by truck or 4 wheeler. I always travel at speeds that allow me to avoid any such dangers. A lake can be a dangerous place to travel in the winter maybe if certain outdoor enthusiasts exercised a bit of caution while traveling accidents could be avoided.

We use to just push our blocks back under the ice.(not even take them out of the hole)Then there is no fear of anyone having an accident.

Still need to mark those holes though, as someone could walk into it after dark or even have a wheel from a wheeler/car fall in it. Make it safe for the next guy, Wow if everyone would do that we would have a safer world.

So what is the better method ? Push the block under the ice or pullit out and put it back in afterwords

Its personal preference I pull mine out. The spot refreezes faster with just the cracks around the block to refreeze. It goes back in the water in matter what though marked with sticks or cattails.

So what is the better method ? Push the block under the ice or pullit out and put it back in afterwords

Neither is worse than leaving blocks on the ice or not marking holes IMHO....

I personally pull the blocks then put them back in when I am done...

As long as it is marked with no blocks above tthe ice you should be good.

I'm an "under and away" guy. Push it under, send it away with a chisel. I've heard people theorize that the blocks under the ice scare the fish, but the reality is they travel a long ways with a good shove (hence, have no discernible effect on the fishing as they aren't really near your hole at all). My big thing is I want the blocks off the ice (safety) and I don't want to wrestle them out of the hole (laziness). smile

My hole is usually froze over for a good week before I move my house. Putting the block back in would be a lot of work with getting the hole re-opened. So, I chisel the block down to about soda can size chunks, put them near or over my hole, and mark hole with branch. Maybe not perfect, but shouldn't cause any damage to a snowmobiler.

I had never realized this was even a problem until I traveled a bit,I guess our local guy's are good. I almost ran the wheeler into a open spear hole on winnie 3 years ago,good thing bowhunt was on the back of it and yelled at me to turn. The worst was lake washington it was just a field of huge ice blocks.