• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Next years draft?

Hester

I'm getting more and more sold on waiting till round 3 or so for one of the second tier guys..........who are still really good mind you.

Watch him throw with defenders in his face. His pocket collapses much faster than little johnny football. All-time leading passer SEC.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just described Cassel.
exactly nostradumass. I would rather roll with a know quantity in him then any of these these prognosticated qbs in this draft. Pick a guy in the second or third round use the earlier picks to share up defense. Heck the way draft boards are going now johnny football will be there in second round then I'd be more apt to take the plunge.

Buck...I haven't agreed with you on much in this forum...however, I will jump on the Murray bandwagon with you...been there for quite a while as a 2nd to 4th round pick.

Murray doesn't have the physical stature that teams are necessarily looking for in the NFL but he does have the intangibles. "Moxy" and "polish" are the kind of words you hear when people describe him. Two unteachable traits that both Jackson and Ponder dearly lacked. We've all witnessed this.

While obviously not the 8th pick...he sure would look nice with one of our 3rds. Fill two glaring NEEDS with pick #8 and #40 and roll with a QB for the future. A 3rd round pick at QB doesn't tie our hands at drafting another next year either...regardless of round taken. It is interesting to note that the Vikings only sent ONE scout to his work-out today.

The three QB's I would be happy with this year are:

JF--1st

Mettenberger--2nd

Murray--3rd

Savage is the wild-card...Norv may like this kid a lot and he may go anywhere from the top of the 1st to the 4th.

I think it's all about where a guy lands and how he's coached, there have been busts that would of probably been really good in a different situation and there have been no namers that have become stars because of where they landed. I think you need the perfect storm to get that franchise QB.

As long as we don't draft any QB doing a reality show with his ol' lady lol.

So how many teams do you suppose actually say, "Lets draft our QB of the future in the 3rd round"?

Lol, my guess none. They might be saying, we could take this guy in the 3rd, he should work as a back up for a few years, or maybe we may get lucky and he will be that one in a million long shot and start a couple seasons for us. Lets look back at the QB's of the past 10 years, how many came out of rounds later then the 2nd?

Since 2008 there has been a whole lot of Mediocrity

08' John David Booty 5th Josh Johnson 5th Matt Flynn 7th

10' Colt McCoy 3rd John Skelton 5th Joe Webb 6th

11' Ryan Mallett 3rd

12' Foles 3rd Wilson 3rd and Kirk Cousins in the 4th

12 was the best year in a while for later round picks

So how many teams do you suppose actually say, "Lets draft our QB of the future in the 3rd round"?

Lol, my guess none. They might be saying, we could take this guy in the 3rd, he should work as a back up for a few years, or maybe we may get lucky and he will be that one in a million long shot and start a couple seasons for us. Lets look back at the QB's of the past 10 years, how many came out of rounds later then the 2nd?

All very true...most of the 1st round "franchise" type QB's have been top 5 picks though. It doesn't help that the Vikings have been slotted at #12 and now #8 when needing a QB...with all very QB needy teams selecting ahead of them. We're basically in the same spot as we were the year we picked Ponder...reaching for one in the 1st...or waiting??

We reached for Ponder, he should have been a 3rd rounder, we just picked him with our first round pick. I think we should stay at 8, there will be a good player available at 8. If the FO thinks our star QB is in this years draft, trade up and grab him.

I personally would let 1-4 go by, and see what is left on the board, then trade to 5 if our guy is still there. It will cost to much to trade to 1-4. To go from 8-5 ,shouldnt cost more then our 1st, 2nd, and a late round pick.

We love trading back into the 1st, the players we have picked up the past couple years have been well worth it.

The 1st round of this years draft is going to be interesting, can't wait to see how it unfolds. No teams really have a plan because it just all depends what the other teams do and which guy is sitting there.

Think how interesting this draft would be if Mariota and Hundley had chosen to enter the draft this year...

I wonder how each would stack up against the "top four" guys of this year...

I smell smoke!

Quote:

SI's Peter King says the Vikings won't draft a quarterback at No. 8 overall.

King says the Vikings don't want to gamble with their first pick. "That's a big reason why we made it a high priority to sign Matt Cassel back," GM Rick Spielman said. "Every one of these quarterbacks … nothing is a sure thing. There's no Andrew Luck, no Peyton Manning." The Vikings know Cassel isn't the long-term answer, so they're still going to explore the quarterback market on Day 2 or 3. It's a strategy many teams appear ready to take.