• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

State Parks make up their own trout seasons?

PakAttack86

So I'm a new trout fisherman, my friend and I decided this past weekend to go to Whitewater State Park as our destination for our first attempt at trout fishing with light spinning gear. I went on the DNR's HSOforum to review special regulations and season for trout fishing, and everything I found said end of trout season was October 31st, which I found strange since I've seen people trout fishing in winter, but nothing I could find on the DNR page mentions a season past the 31st.

So anyway we get there, I buy my trout stamp and a state park pass and I ask the clerk if he knows of any good trout fishing spots. He tells me season is closed and I can't fish, not even catch and release (which is what we planned on doing anyway) and mentioned they have their own regulations.

Suffice it to say I was pretty ticked. We drove 2 1/2 hours to trout fish and I bought a trout stamp and a state park pass, so as much as I typically follow regulations we decided to fish anyway. Had pretty good lock catching rainbows on small rooster tails- just was hoping someone could show me where this official season for trout streams is listed?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post of the year!  grin

“so yeah I know that guys fish for Walleyes up on the Rainy River in April,  everything I found in the regs said that border waters you can fish year round for walleyes, so we made the trip up there on April 25, we bought our license and even bought a walleye stamp, the bait shop up there said sorry, but walleye season ended on April 15th and you can’t even fish catch and release which is all we what we wanted to do, we were psssd so we just went and caught lots of huge walleyes anyways”

I’m with you 100%, the regs might as well be in Latin sometimes its so hard to understand, but then when you do finally confirm what is right/wrong, you ignore them anyways?  LOL

Soooo...what I get out of this is you are brand new to trout fishing and are starting off your career by violating the law.

Hmmm.....not a promising start.

Which regulation will you break next.....barbless hooks, no bait. Why heck, if you're gonna approach the sport that way why bother to buy a license, just fish where and when you want! Ha Ha Ha!

So I'm a new trout fisherman, my friend and I decided this past weekend to go to Whitewater State Park as our destination for our first attempt at trout fishing with light spinning gear. I went on the DNR's HSOforum to review special regulations and season for trout fishing, and everything I found said end of trout season was October 31st, which I found strange since I've seen people trout fishing in winter, but nothing I could find on the DNR page mentions a season past the 31st.

I don't know about you but before I head 2 1/2 hrs anywhere, before I pack my gear, before I plan the menu, before I take off work, before I check the weather, before I hook up the trailer, etc. I usually see if the season is open. Period.

Did you run out of gas on the way there too?

Are the regs really that hard to understand? I know they are sometimes more complicated than our neighbors, particularly in regards to trout regs, but come on...

You are kidding right?  

Lets say you are new to MN and want to fish River X.   First you have to determine if River X is considered inland or border water (you would hope geography 101 would kick in, but you know how that goes)  once you determine that, then you have to find out if there are special regulations concerning seasons, slots, and legal tactics (barbless), in regards to that specific species in that specific body of water and also at that time of year since we have different rules for winter and summer fishing.  Once that is figured out, then you will also need to also check to see if you need an endorsement or stamp to fish for that species.  Ok you are legal so far (at least you think).  Now you have your fish you want to eat and you want to take them home, but now certain species have special requirement for transporting in regards to head and tail intact or maybe a patch of skin. 

Whew…

Now that you have all that figured out hopefully if you run into a CO it is one that interprets the regs the same way you do because they all seem to be on different pages regarding the law.  I’ve seen it first hand on several occasions.   Good examples are culling, border water rules, targeting out of season species, and bait collection for personal use.

SCREEEECH……WAIT…..

A special law was enacted mid season and couldn’t be added to the hard copy book?  Hopefully you checked the MNDNR HSOforum for the latest changes that might affect your trip.  grin

So anyway we get there, I buy my trout stamp and a state park pass and I ask the clerk if he knows of any good trout fishing spots. He tells me season is closed and I can't fish, not even catch and release (which is what we planned on doing anyway) and mentioned they have their own regulations.

Suffice it to say I was pretty ticked. We drove 2 1/2 hours to trout fish and I bought a trout stamp and a state park pass, so as much as I typically follow regulations we decided to fish anyway. Had pretty good lock catching rainbows on small rooster tails- just was hoping someone could show me where this official season for trout streams is listed?

Has anyone forwarded this onto TIP yet, or will I have been the first?

Hopefully you get a visit from one of our states friendly DNR officers.

Nothing irritates me more than poachers. I'm usually willing to give a guy a break if he truly didn't know (example: a kid fishing worms on an a/o stream). Usually I'll take the route of just informing the law breaker, and everything is good after that. But when someone is stupid enough to freely admit that he knew the law, and decides to break it anyways, well he needs to be held accountable. The best thing about this is that you won't be a hard person to track down. You're likely one of the only people to have bought a state park permit, as well as a trout stamp on the same day (and during the closed season, HAH!).

Way to kick off, and hopefully end, your trout fishing experience.

This is the best non political thread I've read on here in awhile laugh

FYI for the newbie. If your interested in another 2.5 hour trip, trout fishing is year round on the northshore streams (below posted boundaries). But for goodness sakes, study the special regulations!

I have the blessing of being able to trout fish in 3 states, totaling the potential of 365 days a year. Each state has their own set of regulations.

what I find in these forums is laws and regulations aren't that hard read and follow until they tell you what you don't want to read; then it becomes complicated- but then again, if you hit vaguality- the DNR is only a phone call away.

Unfortunate to your checkbook, ignorance is not bliss and if you violate the 'ole "well gee I didn't know" defense is not valid.

what I find in these forums is laws and regulations aren't that hard read and follow until they tell you what you don't want to read; then it becomes complicated- but then again, if you hit vaguality- the DNR is only a phone call away.

Couldnt agree more....its one thing to disagree with the regs but there are regs for a reason. Some good reasons some bad reasons. And the COs are strict because of people like you ...pancakeattack...(see what I did there) If there werent idiots intentionally breaking the laws they might be more lenient when people accidentally break them.

Live and learn.

The bad part I think is when you already were told it was closed by a DNR official. You had no excuse than for even just saying I made a mistake in reading the regs.

Ya but he drove 2 1/2 hours.....

Which gives me an idea, you think it will be ok if I drive 4 hours and shoot a moose?