• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mean dog

Ice Wolf

My neighbors at the cabin got another dog a black lab from somewhere. The dog is 2 years old. There other dog is an 12 year old mutt. The old one has all ways charged at every one it sees but then backs off. The lab does the same but won't back off. She will stay with in 2' of you and snarl, bark showing its teeth. This happens on my and my other neighbors property not the property that the dogs live on. The owners never do anything about it. They just let these 2 dogs run where ever. I have talked to them about this but still this happens again and again. Last week these 2 dogs attacked my other neighbors dog when it was taking a nap outside. It never got bit but it won't be long before someone gets bit. The sheriff has been called and gave them a warning. I have a rite to protect me and my family from these 2 dogs. So before I shoot them what would you guys think I should do to keep the dogs out of my property. The owners just don't care that the dogs are doing this to people! Thanks in advance.

To hurt or shoot any dog is my last resort but you have to look at it this way, you can try to do the humane thing to solve the problem BUT in the mean time you or someone in your family could get hurt severly. If you have talked to the sheriff with no results I would be loading the rifle and end the problem quickly.

Shooting the dog would be an absolute last resort... It will most likely get you in a whole lot of trouble with the law unless you or your property is in danger...and can be proved in court. I would try some bear spray wink the dogs will never come near you again smile

Bad pet= bad owners frown

I would make some follow up calls to the local sheriff I would start off my complaint with " I am fear of my personal safety and or my children" Key word here is "Fear" this is usually treated differently then a complaint about a dog running loose. Also it only takes a minute or so to file a complaint, You do that everyday and you will make the sheriff notice and it will be logged that you did seek assistance if and or when you have to take a more serious measure.

Pepper spray a great idea. I am sad to hear a Labrador displaying that sort of temperment. Makes me sick to think what has been done to the dog to make it that way.

Keep law enforcement posted but I must say the local law enforcement people in MN are pretty useless when it comes to handling or helping in these situations. We NEED better County ordinances that will allow law guys to DO something.

But if you HAVE to shoot to protect your pets or your family there is NO question what must be done.

Sad. Stupid people. Just makee me ANGRY!!!!!

Yah you DONT want to shoot the dogs, I promise you it will be a can of worms you don't want to open, unless you don't mind spending alot of time in court. Continue to talk to the sherrif and if you have to get in contact with an attorney, and get some video of it so you have some proof..

pepper spray.....

Last resort and if your fearful for the welfare of you, your family and your pet - Shoot.

A good friend of mine near Nisswa had 3 neighbor dogs on his land all the time...killing chickens, ducks and geese he had as livestock. He complained to the local law enforcement - ensuring everything was well documented.

All 3 dogs started running deer during hunting season. They all were shot and sheriff/game warden called. It worked out fine for him...no court issues and troubles.

Again...last resort is shooting. Do the pepper spray. Those dogs will learn real quick.

Pepper spray is strong medicine. With alot of possibilities for unintended blowback. Might require a vet visit, transfers onto anyone who comes to the dogs aid (kids ? ) etc, I'd be careful.

Hit em with the bucket. Leave the bucket in sight. Problem solved.

No blowback. Your neighbor might not even know you did it.

Like others have said keep working the phones with the sheriff. We had an aggressive dog down the street from us. The owners let it out and it would roam a 1 block radius. it would charge any car, person, or dog that got within 50 feet.

After several calls to the police and several warnings being issued the police finally came to take the dog. The police then got a first hand account of what everyone in the neighborhood dealt with when the dog charged them. 4 cops showed up to take the dog, based on the number of gun shots I heard it sounded like all 4 cops emptied their guns into the dog. Either that or St. Paul cops are terrible shots. Either way problem solved.

In the meantime pepper spray is a good idea. Dogs are smart animals they'll learn after 1 spray. In this case the dog is probably smarter than the owner, it will take the owner a few more lessons before they learn. Maybe having to deal with a dog covered in pepper spray will be a good first lesson.

But make sure to keep calling the sheriff as well. If something does end up going down and you end up shooting a dog as a last resort having a documented trail of complaints and attempts to fix the problem legally will help your case.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Calling the sheriff is the thing to do. I have gave them people every chance to prevent them dogs from coming on to my and other peoples property. I talked to my other neighbor. He called the sheriff so the next complaint that comes will be a fine to the owners. I will pick up some pepper spray for self defense. I will call them and to warn that this is what will happen if they don't take care of this problem. Why do I feel bad for having to take these actions when they do absolutely nothing to solve this problem?

Pepper spray is strong medicine. With alot of possibilities for unintended blowback. Might require a vet visit, transfers onto anyone who comes to the dogs aid (kids ? ) etc, I'd be careful.

Hit em with the bucket. Leave the bucket in sight. Problem solved.

No blowback. Your neighbor might not even know you did it.

So he's supposed to drag around a big bucket of sloshing water and attempt to dump it on a snarling dog's head? That seems mighty cumbersome...

OP you got some good advice, and it sounds like you're doing the right thing. After the sheriff is involved, it's up to you to protect yourself. Just make sure you don't go looking for trouble! Let it come to you. If there's any hint of instigations on your part, good luck in court.

Pepper spray in an easy-to-reach spot for dangerous situations, and a concealed pistol on your hip for a last resort.

As much as I love dogs, and would feel absolutely devastated at the thought of someone shooting mine, I'd rather have a dog dead than a lawsuit from my dog attacking some kid. Bullets are cheap. Lawyers are not.

Obviously the young dog learned from the old dog.

One of my pet peeves is people that live in the country and think that their dogs should be allowed to roam!!!!

You didn't say, do you have a dog?? If so, you better not leave it out unattended, if they attacked the neighbors dog, they'll be after yours too.

The pepper spray sounds like a great idea but if you truly think that you or anyone else is in danger you need to take stonger measures, if a kid would turn and run, or if you don't have the pepper spray with you... Deer season is right around the corner.

Underlying responsibility here......Every pet owner must control their dog....Period!

I would not tolerate any of my dogs from growling or charging anybody. If they did....bye bye dog.

Too bad these people dont take the "ownership and responsibility" of owning a dog seriously.

Minnesota, or the Counties IN Minnesota, need to adopt some enforceable nuisance dog ordinances so law enforcement people can act. If the State Legislature won't do it then it will be up to the individual counties. But something has to be done. We have a problem in our area. Some stone age jerks moved in and they have at least TWO annoying, wandering, upsetting brutes, mixed shepard/collie I guess, that are wandering and killing. People call sheriff. They say "Oh yeah (yawn) we'll get right on that. Soon as we chase down that guy speeding on his tractor."

Times have changed in rural Minnesota. You cannot just let your dog run loose. And for Pete's sake no responsible dog owner would want to risk his dog. But there is that word again: responsible. The throwbacks among us don't even understand what the problem is. Call the sheriff....at least they gotta log the call in.

So he's supposed to drag around a big bucket of sloshing water and attempt to dump it on a snarling dog's head? That seems mighty cumbersome...

To me, the situation described indicates the dog charges, gets very close (2ft) and stays there. You've never thrown a bucket of water ?

I learned this trick a long time ago from my grandfather. He cured my very first dog from attempting to bite thr front tire of ever car that came down the driveway. Grandpa drove, real slow, I leaned out the window, bucket in hand. WHOOSH !! She NEVER did it again. NEVER.

I've found cause to use it again. laugh Just pre-position the bucket.

The behavior is usually very predictable. For me, a 100% success rate.

It's old school. Pre pepper spray. But to each their own.

Something like this happen to me roughly 20 years ago. Neighbors dog up at our hunting shack kept crossing the property line until one day he put my young dog on her back right in front of me. I calmly walked thru the trees to his cabin and told him what happened. I politely told him if it ever happened again I would kill his dog, Period. That was the last time I had an issue.

Pepper spray.I have read multiple times of someone shooting a dog like this, and not only the owners going to court the ASPCA local animal rescue people helping the owners create so many costly problems.

If the pepper spray dont work change the antifreeze in a car leave some in a drain bucket.Its sweet attracts dogs and is a deadly poison

I agree shooting the dog is very last resort and really should only be done for protection in the event of an attack. Shooting the dog is going to cause a lot of trouble even if you're adventually found to have good reason. You'll get drug through the ringer in the process.

Has there been any updates with the dog? Any chance to spice up its life yet? I really think one or two shots of pepper spray will solve the problem.