• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bill introduced to allow crossbows during Wisconsin archery deer season

DonBo

A bill has been introduced in the Wisconsin Legislature to allow all hunters to use crossbows during the state’s archery deer hunting season.

Assembly Bill 194 would create a separate crossbow hunting license and allow crossbow harvests and use to be tracked separately.

Significantly, the license would allow crossbow hunters to pursue deer in Wisconsin during the archery deer season, a change that has been long opposed by traditional bowhunting groups in the state.

Wisconsin regulations have allowed crossbows to be used by hunters age 65 and older or by those with physical disabilities.

Assembly Bill 194 bill eliminates the age and disability requirements for using a crossbow.

As written in the bill, “The crossbow hunting licenses established in this bill allow a license holder to use a crossbow to hunt the same game animals that may be hunted under current law with an archer hunting license.”

The crossbow license would likely cost the same as an archery license. For $2.25 more, the bill would allow hunters to purchase both a crossbow and an archery license.

Only one buck could be taken by the “string” hunters.

Crossbow hunters would be required to successfully complete a course in hunter education or bowhunter education before purchasing a license.

Proposals to allow crossbows during the Wisconsin archery deer season, which runs from mid-September to early January, have generated controversy in the state in recent years.

Proponents say crossbows, which are easier to use than vertical bows, are pro-hunting and help recruit and retain hunters.

Traditional archery groups, including the Wisconsin Traditional Archers and Wisconsin Bowhunters Association, have fought to protect their long, hard-won hunting seasons.

The bill was introduced May 10. It’s been referred to the Assembly committee on Natural Resources and Sporting Heritage.

The bill was introduced by a bipartisan group of representatives and senators. Listed on the bill are Representatives Czaja, Danou, A. Ott, August, Ballweg, Bewley, Born, Brooks, Endsley, Hesselbein, Jacque, Jagler, Kleefisch, Kuglitsch, T. Larson, Milroy, Murphy, Mursau, Murtha, Petryk, Smith, Spiros, Strachota, Swearingen, Tittl, Tranel, Vruwink and Wright. It was also cosponsored by Senators Farrow, L. Taylor, Lassa, Petrowski, Schultz, Tiffany and Lehman.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood the resistance. Both are string launched projectiles with blades affixed to the tip.

The difference is, I shoot year round so I am profficient enough with my equipment that I have a fair chance of taking a big game animal as cleanly and hunanely as possible. It's a lot of work to get good enough with archery tackle to be able to do this. Practice, practice, practice.

With an Xbow, in 10 minutes time you can achieve the same profficiency. There's also no movement when the shot finally presents itself, not so with a verticle bow.

If people want to shoot these things, they are legal during the gun season. If it were up to me, they'd be included in the Muzzy season. Those weapons are much better matched than are Xbows and REAL bows.

with the high tec compounds out there it only takes a few minutes for those who just want to take a few minutes to get ready. I have friends that pull the bow out the day before the season. Personally I like to shoot a lot but not all are like me. smile I don't care if crossbows are legal.

Shouldn't the title of the thread be "Bill introduced to give crossbows a season in Wisconsin"? It is not that they are including crossbows in with the archery season, but rather giving crossbows a separate season that overlaps the regular archery season.

This way if crossbows end up harvesting too many deer they can in the future adjust the crossbow season accordingly without altering the regular bow user. As long as we have separate seasons for regular firearms, archery, and muzzleloader then having one for crossbow seems to fit the situation.

I use a crossbow, because of an injury. You still need to get the deer close enough. Normal bows have longer range then crossbows. It now allows me and my dad to hunt together more. I am thankful MN allows people with a disability use a crossbow.

The difference is, I shoot year round so I am profficient enough with my equipment that I have a fair chance of taking a big game animal as cleanly and hunanely as possible. It's a lot of work to get good enough with archery tackle to be able to do this. Practice, practice, practice.

Well Donbo, I shoot my compound very little before the huntiung season and I also have clean and humane shots. I know and have hunted with guys that practice way more than I but I have not wounded near the deer they have over the years. Yes, one need to make a good shot but there is so much more to a good clean kill than just the shot so at least I believe. Maybe it's the fact I know my bow well or that I have shot for close to 40 years but I do not need to practice all that much to make a clean kill. Not saying pratice is not good, just saying I do not need to practice all that much and I can still harvest a deer or 2 every fall and I do it with a clean, fast kill.

I agree Monstermoose, the crossbow is not a weapon one can just pull out and shoot deer with.

I guide for a handi capped group, most all the hunters are in wheel chairs and they have to practice alot to be proficent with the bow. It is far from pull it out and shoot it.

As far as distance, I would much rather use my compound over a crossbow as those bolts lose energy very fast after say 25 yards.

I would guess many who shoot a crossbow shoot much more than I do with my compound. Talk about a simply bow to shoot. I pull it out 4-5 days before I am ready to go out. I check to see it is shooting well and off I go. Yes, I have clean kills also.

I use to shoot alot but I never really enjoyed shooting at a target.

There were many years and years ago who also thought the end of the world was coming when they allowed compound bows. Seems everything worked out fine there.

I persoanlly have no issue with another choosing a differnt weapon than I. If that is a legal bow, thats fine with me.

It will not be long and I believe they will be legal in most all deer hunting states.

Its a challenge to get a deer within 20 yeards, especially a mature one!With a "bow" comes another challenge, youre forced to move undetected and draw on the deer. I have no problem with crossbows, but being successful in an undetected "draw" is one of the major components that makes it "bow" hunting.

Not to open another can, but I think its similar to the guys who shot the old traditional muzzleloaders. Loose powder, #11 caps, open nipple, misfire after misfire.... thats when it actually was a primitive weapons season. Now, with the advancements of in-lines, its just a single shot rifle season basically. Im sure archers will push the limits as to what bowhunting is until the same thing has happened there.

All in all, its great opportunity for hunters! But it makes me cringe when I look at how much pressure has been put on the animals. For most of Minnesota there has gotten to be too many seasons, that have just gotten too long, with too many people, and too many trouble free weapons.

And im just as guilty as the next guy! Ill dance to whatever tune theyre playin, but I dont really like the music....

With an Xbow, in 10 minutes time you can achieve the same profficiency. There's also no movement when the shot finally presents itself, not so with a verticle bow.

So only "bow hunters" practice year round? Or are you caught up by the fact that others may be able to use a crossbow and be more proficient than you are, even with all your practice.

As far as there being no movement when a shot presents its self, one would think that something that increases the chances of a quick, fatal hit would be preferred over lower percentage opportunity.

I don't bow hunt, I don't have the time. Being a hunter outside the fray this looks like nothing more than hunt like I hunt or don't hunt at all.

My simple question to you is this: one way or the other, how does this in any way affect how you choose to conduct your own hunt? From where I sit, it doesn't.

I bowhunt & love it, have for 22 or 23 years something like that. Personally I have no problem with crossbows being used during archery season. The older guys & disabled guys I know shoot deer with them, but no more than I do with my compound. Would I get one? Maybe someday, not sure, it's not really in my budget. I love to hunt deer with whatever weapon I can, when it's gun season I use a gun. I love the challenge of the bow, but if somebody else is using a gun I'd rather use one too. I guess I like all of the parts of it.

I also agree with Harvey. I practice more than he talks about, but I don't practice a lot, because I love to hunt. I don't enjoy shooting at targets much. I shoot fine, but I'm no Robin Hood like I probably could be if I shot a lot.

Guess I don't see where the crossbow is going to hurt much. I think comparing the "true" black powder guns to the inline ML's is a pretty good comparison whoever brought that up. I use an inline, I think the majority of us do.

I practice a good amount with my crossbow. I used to hunt with a bow and the crossbow is very heavy and more award than my bow ever was, maybe it is because I only have one usable hand. Also with the crossbow I have has the accudraw and I would never get second shot a deer if I did miss. People think because the draw weight is so high on a crossbow they can shoot 100 yards. Come on over and we can go shoot my crossbow, but you have to pay for any bolts you lose. I practice at 10, 20, and 30 yards and have a 40 yard mark but never shot that far, because I will not shoot that far at a deer in the woods.

I hunted with a crossbow for the first time this last season. Didn't shoot a deer, but had a great time! One thing I can say is that the thought that there is no movement while preparing for a shot is misguided. There certainly is movement. You cannot sit there with a crossbow mounted to your shoulder while waiting for a deer to come along. Those things are heavy! So once Mr deer comes in, you still have to get that crossbow mounted without being noticed (kind of like a bow). Also, isn't the fact that crossbows are easier to get proficent with a good thing? It will bring more folks into the sport, especially kids and women. Plus, the fact that it is easier to make a good shot and that will cut down on wounded deer that escape. States that have all inclusive crossbow regulations have not noticed a huge upswing in deer harvests, so the worry of over harvests are unfounded. When all the facts are studied, I don't see the problem.

So does this season for crossbows run the same dates as the regular archery season or are they totally different? If the season dates are the same I am definitely against that. I can't say I like the idea at all. I have a buddy who shoots a crossbow because of a physical disability, which is fine and really his only option to "bow hunt". Personally I think they have too much in common with a firearm to be given their own "bow" season. Shooting a crossbow off a rest putting the crosshair on the boiler room is far different than holding full draw on a real bow trying to steady your pin on a windy day. How many more special seasons and regulations do we need? If you're physically capable and want to experience bow hunting, get a real bow and have at it. I can't see how adding this season will recruit more hunters. I could, however, see a bunch of firearm hunters picking up crossbows for a longer season and more opportunities to harvest deer. I don't know how it works in wisconsin, but if you purchase a "crossbow" license and don't tag a deer can you then purchase a firearms license?

So does this season for crossbows run the same dates as the regular archery season.... get a real bow and have at it.

Yes. It will be considered a bow, which it is and therefore be allowed use in the archery season.

As far as the get a real bow statement. I know a few "real" bow hunters that don't think compounds should be considered real bows. To each his own. I asked this question of others without getting an answer, maybe you'll be different. How does someone else using a crossbow affect how you choose to conduct your own hunt?

If it increases the number of guys in the woods it could definitely impact the quality of the hunt for current archery hunters. I also like the way it currently is in MN. By disability permit or during gun seasons only.

If someone chooses to use a crossbow, does not bother me at all.

It will not effect my hunting at all but I do hunt all private land. With thast said, if a friend asked if he hunt hunt with his crossbow, I will tell them to have at it.

I have a few locations in Mn that I do archery hutn on public land but it would never effect my hunting if someone else hunts 50 yards from me with a crossbow, they could come with a compound bow and that would be the same, a guy in a tree looking to harvest a deer.

I know others are against it but as for me, I have zero issues with it and I do not believe it will hurt my hunting at all.

If the law were to pass and it gave 1 person an opportunity to continue to hunt by using a crossbow, then I would be happy it passed.

I feel the outdoors are there for all to enjoy and the type weapon I feel should not be a game changer.

I see people hunting with .243's for deer and I would never think of it but if they can make a clean kill with that caliber, I am not against that either even if I would never use one.

I do not believe it would change the total kill in a state. if they use it during the gun season or bow season, the kill number would remian about the same, just hunting at a different time.

Phyically challenged archers will hunt either way and I do not see a whole new group of people taking up bow hunting simply because they could now use a crossbow.

I believe most avid archers with a long bow or compound would not give up thier bow for a crossbow.

I have seen and used many different type crossbows and I would not change unless I had to due to the fact that I am 100% sure I am more accurate with my compound than a crossbow. They simply do not have all that much energy down range 30 plus yards.

I will gladly answer your question. It doesnt affect how I go about my hunt one bit. What I think it could affect is the number of guys out hunting IF they are allowed to hunt multiple seasons (bow, gun, muzzleloader, etc). I can see guys who don't want to hunt with an actual bow picking up a crossbow to extend how long they can be out there hunting. Since I have started hunting, I have already lost access to a lot of land due to changing owners and leasing, woodlands being torn down and turned into fields, as well as the restructuring of minnesota seasons several years ago. The last thing I want to see is a lengthy crossbow season. If it shoots like a gun, it belongs with the guns. A crossbow is not a bow. Do you draw it back and hold it in that position until the shot using manpower? No. It is different and does not deserve the same season in my opinion

This kind of sounds like the argument I heard back when compound bows first hit the scene. Most of the long bow guys wanted them banned and some pitched for only allowing them during gun seasons. If the big worry is that the woods will now fill up with xbow hunters, well, get over it. Public hunting land belongs to us all. And personally, I don't know anyone who hunts with a bow (crossbow or otherwise) during gun seasons. WAY too dangerous. I know I won't sit in a tree with slugs flying around. Plus the fact that deer are much more paranoid and skiddish during gun season means you'd be lucky to ever get one in close enough for an arrow, even in a ground blind.

Modern compounds have what like an 85% let off? So yes you are holding it back but not a lot of it.

If you are comparing long/recurves to cross bows than yes big difference, but modern compound to modern cross bow... not so much.

Modern compounds have what like an 85% let off? So yes you are holding it back but not a lot of it.

If you are comparing long/recurves to cross bows than yes big difference, but modern compound to modern cross bow... not so much.

Try holding back a modern 75 lb compound bow with 85% let-off for 2, or 3, or 4, or 5 minutes when a deer is facing you at 15 steps and tell me how easy it is! crazy I dont care one way or another, but thats not a good example. Recurve or compound, holding any weight becomes unbarable in that situation.

This kind of sounds like the argument I heard back when compound bows first hit the scene. Most of the long bow guys wanted them banned and some pitched for only allowing them during gun seasons. If the big worry is that the woods will now fill up with xbow hunters, well, get over it. Public hunting land belongs to us all. And personally, I don't know anyone who hunts with a bow (crossbow or otherwise) during gun seasons. WAY too dangerous. I know I won't sit in a tree with slugs flying around. Plus the fact that deer are much more paranoid and skiddish during gun season means you'd be lucky to ever get one in close enough for an arrow, even in a ground blind.

If the big worry is that the woods will be crawling with crossbow hunters I should just get over it? Really? I enjoy being able to hunt the little bit of private land I can still hunt because I chose to begin bow hunting years ago. It gave me the chance to hunt when others weren't. Some landowners realize that bow hunting is a different ball game and will allow you to hunt even though they won't allow gun hunting. I would hope it wouldnt happen, but I fear being told I can't hunt anymore on someones land because bow hunting has changed too much as a result of crossbows being legalized during archery season. You may think thats a ridiculous thought, but it happens and I have seen hunting privileges disappear for other seemingly unimportant issues.

Of course public hunting land belongs to all of us, but this thread has nothing to do with crossbows exclusively on public land as far as I can tell. Like I said, a crossbow is not a bow and should not be lumped into the same season as bows. Heck, why don't we just lump rifles in with muzzleloaders since they both fire a single projectile propelled by burning powder. We can go ahead and allow draw locks on bows right away too, effectively turning them into "vertical crossbows". I don't want to keep anyone from hunting or enjoying the resources as they see fit, but I can not support considering crossbows to be equal to bows with the same season. Archery is advanced enough. Seasons are only going to get shorter and shorter as more liberal regulations are implemented.

As far as sitting in a tree during shotgun season being unsafe... I've been sitting in a tree every fall since I was 12 and never had anything remotely scary happen. And thinking a deer can't be taken with a bow during firearm season... Plenty of guys do it every single year.