• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Managing Anchor Rope

vman11

This might be a trivial question, but I'd like to hear the different ways each of you manange/store your anchor lines.

I have 200' of 3/8" nylon rope for a water spike used on LOTW. That ends up being a pretty big ball of rope. Wave action requires it, but tangles, knots and frusterations are definately involved.

Try a 5 gallon bucket. Tack the opposite end of the anchor and just start putting it in the bucket, like if you were pulling it up. I've used them on LOW and The Big Pond when corkin'. Sure makes the process a lot easier.

I have a chain connected to my anchor at all times and the anchor and chain go in 1 storage locker. No rope attached.

I have 2 coils of anchor rope, one long one and one short one. Each coil is hand coiled and stored in separate storage lockers, in convenient locations where they are out of the way.

When anchoring I select the coil I need based on water depth, clip it to the anchor chain, and I'm good to go.

As mentioned before, a solid container works best (bucket or dedicated storage compartment). A mesh duffel bag works second best, and allows for more compact storage.

The important thing to remember when storing a rope: The prettier you put it away, the harder it will be to take back out.

Just feed it into a container (bucket, compartment, garbage can, duffel bag) willy nilly with no care. It will come back out just as fast with minimal trouble.

It's when guys try to make it look pretty that massive tangles occur (like the open hand over the elbow technique or symmetrical coils).

If you have the room, and insist on a neat looking pile, lay it out on the ground or bow in a figure eight.

In my profession, we work with ropes up to 1200' every day. Other than rolling them back up on a spool, these are the best ways.

Also, a good double braid rope is a lot easier to work with than a cheap plastic rope.

-Hope this helps wink

I use a plastic spool. I've thought about installing a removable arm that the spool could sit on which would make it much smoother to deploy and bring in. Wrapping rope around the spool can be a chore when your dealing with a lot of line but it saves me my fishing partner the hassle of dealing with tangles and knots all the time. wink

Rope rescue (throw) bag or repeling bag. Or a cheap version, like i have, is a mesh draw string bag of descent quality (better if it can stand up and open on its own). The mesh is breathable and the draw string adds quick and ease to use. Google what they look like and see if you can make or modify somehting from target.$5-10 Works awesome!

simply load it by stuff it into the bag like you are coiling it.

http://www.poolweb.com/Home/Other-Product/WATER-RESCUE-BAG?gclid=CIqlgvnq5rYCFe1aMgodQwIAow ...here is a version of what I'm talking about.

Last boat I used an old milk crate with the end tried to it. just throw it in there like Basseyes does and never have a problem. I used to try doing it the neat way but that always ended in a mess the next time I need it. Now I throw in my storage compartment. Put the end in first keep feeding till the anchor is in. When you need it just drop it over and feed. Works great. Just remember to put it in as you pull the anchor. DON'T pull the anchor in then put it away.

Cord reels from Wal Mart....

Me too, and I have a whopping $0.97 tied up into it. Works great and takes up way less space then a 5 gallon bucket or milk crate- besides the milk police might arrest you for stealing! wink

Make sure if using a bucket you have a few drain holes drilled in the bottom. Ropes can get mighty stinky if left wet all the time and can even weaken some types of rope. My preferred method of storage is similar to a 5 gallon bucket, but instead using a heavy duty milk crate(not the junky ones found at wally world, they break). They are harder to find, but allow the rope to dry between use.